Page 6 of 76 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL L Series (1990s)

You're welcome.

I wrote somewhere (maybe in this thread), that I got a Soundcraftsmen A200 amp included in my original purchase of a pair of new L7s from ABC Warehouse in Portage, MI. Subsequent to that I got a bunch of Soundcraftsmen gear, including RE2215-R EQs, AS-1000 and AE-2000 Scanalyzers, tons of amps and preamps, including a pair of DX4200s, a couple of tuners, and even some SAM-II mics. A lot of guys here seem to have a piece or two of Soundcraftsmen gear.

A 90s Soundcraftsmen amp, EQ, preamp, and tuner combo is aces with the L7, or any L Series speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    A 90s Soundcraftsmen amp, EQ, preamp, and tuner combo is aces with the L7, or any L Series speaker.
    I got my first Soundcrafsmen (PE2217) from the same Hi-fi dealer my Dad bought our 030 from new. After that they became as hard to find as good JBLs are today. I got so fed up chasing leads on dealers from Soundcraftsmen corporate that they finally gave up, sent me the price list, and told me to take 25% off any of them and they'd send me the product. Of course soon afterward, they were no longer made in USA, and then they disappeared into MTX.

So what is the life expectancy of the cones/surrounds on the L-series? I remember reading of one separating but what's been the experience? And no repair or replacement parts available??

As I suggested, the point is now moot; someone hit the B.I.N. button for $500. I'll just return to being L-series ignorant!

Aw, too bad. I was hoping to have another L Series fan. There are a few of us here.

It's hard to say on the separation issue. I've got eight or ten L Series speakers and haven't had a driver issue yet. However, I've seen a few that were separating, almost like an overflexed plastic or vinyl hinge. I think they could be repaired by a handy person, but it certainly wouldn't be an approved procedure.

Mine are now over a decade old, so... fingers crossed.

So what is the life expectancy of the cones/surrounds on the L-series? I remember reading of one separating but what's been the experience? And no repair or replacement parts available??
    I got a pair of L3's a cat laced into. Asside from a small tear on one woofer they were fine. Used silicone to seal it from the back, worked like a charm, that was 3 years ago now. The surround is some kind of wht feels like rubber?? They call it Microlaminate Surround Tm??? Different from the grey stuff and it seems a lot more robust. There are no recones for those drivers. You have to replace the entire driver with the exception of the 12" woofer in the L7 and the 035's.

Rob

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...2-l-series.htm

a curiosity

While I believe this to be an error, here's a shop in England that lists a recone kit for the 708G.

http://www.europeanloudspeaker.com/E...Kits%20Eng.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images  

clmrt
    You guys are making me paranoid.

While I believe this to be an error, here's a shop in England that lists a recone kit for the 708G.
    Yes but are they JBL or aftermarket??? Take a look at the TechSheets for the L series. They all say no recone kits.

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te...et/L5%20ts.pdf

Here's the L5 that has all the drivers that would be in question.

Rob

Harman Consumer Service offers a JBl replacement driver for 708G.

I'll inquire again. I wasn't interested at the time.... :dont-know

[Well, I WAS interested, for Minis, but they were somewhat over $100 apiece.... ]

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Harman Consumer Service offers a JBl replacement driver for 708G.

I'll inquire again. I wasn't interested at the time.... :dont-know

[Well, I WAS interested, for Minis, but they were somewhat over $100 apiece.... ]
    Zilch

Did you ever retrieve this info?

L5 matching center?

Hi Folks, Dave here. I'm new to this forum and have a question regarding center channel. I've read this thread from beginning to end. TD, you're a L7 encyclopedia! Great information! Anyway, I'm the original owner of a pair of L5's and am about to embark on my first serious home theater setup. I just purchased a Denon 1907AVR and now I'm looking for something to use for a center that will match the L5. Obviously the CL505 sounds like the perfect solution however no one really did say how they matched up with the L5. Not to mention, they aren't easy to find. So what has been the preferred center for those with L5's as their fronts?

TIA,
    Dave

When I set my brother up w/l7 and l5 i used the cl505 as it matches in appearence. The drivers are different though but seems fine to him (he wouldn't notice if it was not working though) and I have not put it hrough critical listening tests. Depending on space you could try the L1 or L3 to compare.

There were 2 505 on ebay recently eother sold for under 100 or didn't sell I believe

Mark

opimax - thanks for the quick reply. I'd be very interested to hear what you find when you listen to your brothers setup. I did check Ebay completed listing and saw the 505 went for $80 something back in December. Of course there aren't any listed currently. If I knew the 505 is a perfect match, then I may try and be patient until one comes up again on Ebay. However, if it's not a perfect match, I'd like to know what everyone else is using with the L5's.

Regards,
    Dave

Ideally then you would want another l5 if logistics works

I wish that were an option opimax but space is limited. The system is housed in a TV armoire. I really can not plunk anything down in front of it. I was hoping to set the center on top of the armoire.

Thread Information