Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL L Series (1990s)

A few weeks ago I snatched up a pair of L3's in great condition off of ebay. They were posted around 10:00 pm on a Sunday night with a "Buy It Now" price of $175. As a bonus, they were located only 15 miles from my house. I made a quick impulse buy about 1/2 hour after the listing was up. They turned out to be in very good condition and seller was the original owner. He had them in storage for several years and decided to get rid of them.

I haven't had much of a chance to listen to them but I finally got then hooked up in the exercise area of the basement. The sound is very similar to the L60T speakers which happens to be one of my favorite consumer speakers for JBL. I have a pair of L60T's in the master bedroom and for this type of use they are just about perfect. If I had to choose right now I would say the L60Ts are more to my taste than the L3's but that is subject to change over time.

RIP 2009
    I've got both L60T's and L3's myself - like you say, very closely matched.

John

Smile It's a threesome

I've got L60T and L3, too.
    Out.

Hey guys new to this forum, but obviously love JBL. I need a little help though, I am the original owner of l5's and l1's. The problem is the surround is coming loose from the 8 inch woofer in the l5 and I am trying to find somewhere to repair the sub. Any ideas? By the way you are correct the l5 is a wonderful sounding speaker, and I would put it up against almost any speaker of its' size. I noticed that you have a brochure of the L series. I actually have a L series brochure that shows a preliminary photo of the L5 in it, and it has two 6.5 inch woofers not the 6 and 8.

Smile

Welcome, lastcobra.

If you tell us where you are, we can give better advice as far as referrals. Also, is the surround coming loose from the frame or from the speaker's cone?
    Out.

Arrow

I am In Memphis Tn. and the surround is coming loose from the cone.

If I made a 1 1/2 hr round tripper I could have a pair of L5s for $225.00. Then what will I have to put into an amp? Dave.

Smile

Any decent 50W/ch to 150W/ch used amp or receiver will drive them fine. If you're putting them in a small to medium room and you like moderate listening levels, a 50W/ch vintage receiver or integrated amp is all you'll ever need. If you are placing them in a medium to large room and you like to kick out the jams, then 150W/ch (or more) will prevent you from clipping the amp and destroying the speakers.

IOW, if you intend to play them loud, do not underpower them. If you've got 200W/ch or even 300W/ch, they'll take it, but they'll be insanely loud at peak output. Going from 150W to 200W or 300W is a relatively modest increase after all, but you gain some additional headroom.

Of course, I'm talking about real power here, not the "peak" power that some el cheapo amps and receivers talk about.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by lastcobra
    I am In Memphis Tn. and the surround is coming loose from the cone.
    Thanks for the info I will check them out monday.

Smile A bump for SEAWOLF97

This will make the thread easier to find.

Here's what I recently wrote another member who PMed me about L7s vs. L5s.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    My standard answer is that the L5s are better out of the box for ease of set up and placement than the L7s. Any LF deficiencies can be accommodated with a sub or two.

However, for pure stereo enjoyment, I far prefer a pair of L7s as four-way, full-range systems. Once the L7s are properly set up, there's a kind of magic about their imaging, soundstage, and presence that the L5s and a sub can't quite match. It may be the coupling of the side firing LE120H-1 woofers, but it really is better, IF everything is set up correctly. Getting there can take some doing.

L7s are great stereo speakers. L5s are very good stereo speakers, and L5s, L3s, and L1s can be employed successfully in surround sound configurations, supported by subs. I would not recommend L7s in a surround set up.

I have one pair of L5s. I have three pairs of L7s plus a single one for parts. I obviously don't need all those L7s, but when I see them going for peanuts, I have to get them before someone buys them and parts them out. The cabinets are part of the specialness, and once the parts are redistributed, the cabinets get thrown out and will never be reproduced.

Hope this helps.
    Out.

clmrt
    Since we're here....

Finally got the two SVS drivers into their 1.2cf sealed boxes. No aperiodic vents yet, need to get jigsaw blades. I've settled on 80hz for the XO.

Right now the subs get the ABI 600A, and the L5's get the HK PA2200. Shortly, however, I expect to take delivery on a UREI 6260 which will displace the HK. Maybe I'll bridge the HK for center duty.

If anyone has ever used a JBL CL505 / S Center / HT4V with the L series, let me know what you think. Using an Athena C1 right now, and it's wonderful in it's own right, but not a sonic match at all.

Smile Spotlight on L7s (1)

I knew I had to get to this sooner or later, so here we go.

Below is a shot of my dungeon/shop/garage/ set up for a little listening and viewing gathering I hosted. Not visible is the 5.1 surround consisting of SVA2100 fronts, SVA Center, and SVA1800 surrounds.

For stereo listening from outside to inside:

L250
    XPL200
    L100 (on top of XPL200)
    L7
    Rack full of stuff.

(That's a Sim2 SVD800HD in the foreground.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Hey Ti,
    What kind of amps do you have at the bottom of your rack, QSC's? By the way, great stuff, would love to come by if I ever get to SoCal!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by oznob
    Hey Ti,
    What kind of amps do you have at the bottom of your rack, QSC's? By the way, great stuff, would love to come by if I ever get to SoCal!

Those are the new Haflers I got off ebay a few months ago.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ghlight=hafler

Check it out.

Sooner or later I'm gonna get back to that LHS weekend. Then I'll invite all you guys.
    Out.

Thread Information