Page 15 of 76 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL L Series (1990s)

Bearing in mind that the fronts, time-aligned baffles, bottoms, and backs are smooth MDF, they would accept a Piano Black finish with ease. However, the sides and top are real ash veneer, and could pose a challenge to an excellent, smooth surface. THe photos are low resolution, so they can't really be blown up for more detail. Both fronts and the back of one speaker in this pair get the most exposure, so it's really hard to tell. From a distance, they look pretty sharp.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

John W posted this comment and these pictures in another thread. I thought they'd be more accessible here.

Quote Originally Posted by John W
    Here is a pair of L7's I turned into a 3-way after using the 708s for a different project. They're modeled after the Europe only L-90s and use the upper section of the stock L7 crossover, after removing a couple parts to allow the woofers to run as low as possible. They sound great.
    Out.

I was happy to see the L7s appear briefly to represent JBL in the 1990s in "The JBL Story." It happens quickly at 3:32, though a screen capture of the moment shows the speakers with the woofers facing out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6zgG...eature=related
    Out.

Upon further reflection, I suppose that is so you can see the side-mounted woofers. So, I'll let it pass...
    Out.

Ed K

8" Replacements for L5

Hi all:

Looking for two replacement drivers for L5 towers that I have enjoyed since 1992. Started making a flapping sound on the lows (yikes) and I knew things were not good. Suffering with new two way monitors for the time being. Have contacted Harman and they can not locate them. I suspect a foam job may be my only recourse. Any and all advice is appreciated. Ed K

Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    Hi all:

Looking for two replacement drivers for L5 towers that I have enjoyed since 1992. Started making a flapping sound on the lows (yikes) and I knew things were not good. Suffering with new two way monitors for the time being. Have contacted Harman and they can not locate them. I suspect a foam job may be my only recourse. Any and all advice is appreciated. Ed K
    Hi ED and welcome. Which drivers are the problem? Are they the 8" (bottom) woofers or the 6.5" (second from bottom) midbass drivers?
    Out.

Hi all:

You may want to post this is a new thread or in the Marketplace since this thread is a pretty old one.

The 708G-1 has been popping up on Ebay a lot recently as people part out L7's to make more money on the individual drivers. Two guys near me have been doing it for a while. This one recently hit the jackpot after months of trying to move these with no interest: http://ebayitem.com/260358658213
    For posterity, that was a pair of 708G-1's sold at the Buy-It-Now price of $118. I've seen whole pairs of L5's and L3's sell for less than that with rough boxes (L5 pair for $113 two-weeks ago) and the entire series, other than the L1, uses that driver.

And yet this guy, who's parted multiple L7s, couldn't get a BIN bid of $49 for his pair of 704G-1's less than two weeks ago: http://ebayitem.com/380099976453
    You may want to send him a message or watch his auctions. He seems to be always parting L7s.

If your problem is just a loose surround, you can try re-gluing it.

I have a pair of 706G-1 that I got on ebay for $10. They tend to bottom out with, um, extreme applications of power. The surrounds seem fine though.

Replacement and repair of drivers

All, I responded to Ed's PM regarding replacing/repairing L-5 woofers, but thought I would share with everyone. This advice really applies to all of the drivers (bear in mind, this is in regard to his 8" woofers, but can be construed for all - and I did edit in some more info to help generalize):

I have seen these on eBay recently. I looked last night but didn't see them anymore. Just keep googling JBL L-7 or L7 and the other models (don't forget the L-3) as well as hunting on eBay. Google will pull eBay stuff up as well, but I've found that those links are usually out of date, so I search eBay directly. Googling for the parts will help search Audiogon, Audioclassics, and other similar sites.

You could go to a factory-authorized re-coner, like Wizard's. I found them on the internet by searching for JBL reconing (or recone). Since they're factory authorized, they should do good work.

VERY IMPORTANT is to use a factory-authorized re-coner with factory-authorized parts! JBL used a special rubber for the 708G-1 (as well as the 4" mid and 6-1/2" for the L-1)surround, called Poron. It is related to neoprene, but has better damping characteristics. If you go to a re-coner who does not use factory parts, you will end up with something different. I wouldn't do this because the L series worked so well.

Now, having said that, JBL may have changed to a normal foam surround for service purposes. But it is STILL better to pay more for the factory-authorized service because when they decided that they would change to a normal foam, they certainly performed the necessary tests to make sure that the driver is still reasonably close in performance. Joe Blow reconer down the street who can't get factory parts can't guarantee what you'll get, other than a speaker that doesn't make bad noise and makes more bass again.

One more edit: I believe there's a guy on eBay RIGHT NOW parting out L-7's...

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by CHagen7 View Post
    One more edit: I believe there's a guy on eBay RIGHT NOW parting out L-7's...

Chris
    Thanks for the help, Chris.

There's been a flurry of parting out of L7s, which is a real shame. On the one hand, it does provide parts for others; on the other hand, there's a finite number of L7 cabinets and the appropriate components, and I REALLY hate to see the separation of the two. I fear the cabinets will end up destroyed.

Out.

Ed K

L5

Thanks all! The 708G-1 driver is what I am seeking, Two actually. I have sent inquiries to a number of JBL approved recone guys. Very Slow to respond and none to happy about that. Figure on getting back ups of all parts.

Feel silly about this one. Guys I got impatient with the silence and all so I bought fancy lil 2 way monitors from Ascend Accoustics thinking I could part ways and live without the big sound to which I had grown accustomed. Doing a sub, an xpa 2 amp (350 wpc @ 6ohms, 250 @ 4 ohm) and still not happy with the results. Accurate yeah, not very loud though. Bottom line: IMO, Newer is not always better. At some point I will find resolution to my problem... Or...I will bronze my speakers.
    Ed K [email protected]

Thanks all! The 708G-1 driver is what I am seeking, Two actually. I have sent inquiries to a number of JBL approved recone guys.
    There are no recone kits for these drivers. You have to purchase the driver if JBL still has them instock. Same for the 6 and 4 inch drivers from that series. Only the L7's 12 and 035 tweeter had recone kits.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Ed K
    Jbl has none in stock and never will. Ready to scrap these as this is proving fruitless. Nearly 16 years of fine service. And..They still look perfect!

I have looked and still can not find any visible damage or seperation. Really bummed. out.

Jbl has none in stock and never will. Ready to scrap these as this is proving fruitless. Nearly 16 years of fine service. And..They still look perfect!

I have looked and still can not find any visible damage or seperation. Really bummed. out.
    There's some L5 parts on ebay right now.

RIP 2009
    I have some 706G's but am not sure which version. I won't have any chance until next weekend to check.

John

Thread Information