Page 64 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL L Series (1990s)

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Got mine at the small Midwest chain, ABC Warehouse, which was even less capable than CC. They couldn't sell them to save their souls, which worked out well for me: a pair of L7s, a big Soundcraftsmen amp, and a set of very expensive speaker cables for just over $1000. It was an insane deal at the time.

Your last line is right on the money.
    I'm familiar with them, and yes, they were even lamer than CC. Jack, their salesman used to be able to talk them into stuff they should have never brought in, but they always liked to think of themselves as a bit more high end than they actually were. In the end, it got blown out and someone got a deal. That happened fairly often.

I really do like this series of speakers. If 70s vintage amplification was available in the 90s, these speakers would still be in production in one form or another. Unfortunately, as amplification got weaker and weaker, speakers designers had to dummy down the loads to work with the lack of available amplification. From a power demand point of view, they were largely obsolete over a decade before they were ever released. However, they are a testament to the engineers they had around at the time. They made most of the right choices for the speakers, just not for the market they had to compete in.

Sony did the same thing to itself years ago when they did the ES speaker line. Pretty nice speakers, but Sony didn't sell anything in the US market that could effectively drive them. Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I hope we can keep up this charade of the L7 being the difficult child a little longer because so far I've only found two pair of them locally I was able to buy for $200, or less. I don't need any more, but I'd buy 'em if I found 'em!
    A pair just showed up here for $200. I have one set I bought just to see what all the fuss was about. I will have to by the other pair.
    As to location, I will post a pic of the way they ended up in my bedroom. Back assward to recommendations but they do a great job on a QSC RMX-1450 pro amp.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

Here are my L7s. I ended up pointing the woofers outboard because in a smaller room I couldn't get them to work well in the corners. They are back assward but sound pretty good.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Mascali View Post
    They are back assward but sound pretty good.
    Way to go Don!

Glad to see you in the L7 Club. There is no better deal out there.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

TD still influencing my purchasing

Bought a couple of those Soundcraftsmen S800's from over in the amps section. My first Soundcraftsmen purchase. Those are great sounding, they make the L7's sing effortlessly. What a great bang for the buck. My wife was in the next room when I hooked them up and didn't know. I turned up the volume and she immediately ask what I had done, she said that it sounded much clearer. I may have to get a couple of more to drive the L5's and my 4412A's. By the way if you have not read my post in the amp section, those S800's are a little banged up but they do not look (on the inside) like they had ever been used. Most circuit boards will at least show a small amount of residual dust but these had none whatsoever.

TD you were right the Soundcraftsmen gear really is nice.
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Quote Originally Posted by gferrell View Post

TD you were right .
    I feel a little faint... thanks.

Congrats on a great purchase. Those little shoeboxes pack a big punch, they last a long, long time, and they do seem made in heaven for 80s and 90s JBLs like the L Series.
    Out.

Im gonna get one as well. One of the two I own has the fan too loud, the other pops fairly loud when turned on and hums out the left speaker. They have great authoritative juice that was born for the L series. The insides are pretty gunked so looking forward to one that is essentially new, rare opportunity on what I believe was a $500 box 20yrs ago
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

I have to say my speakers are sounding better than ever. The soundcraftmen amps really tamed the high end. The newer (but still old) MOSFETS really keep the sound clearer in the mid to upper frequencies than the Bi Polars. My L5's are getting new power tomorrow as well. I have tried Adcom 555's, Crown's, NAD's, and Carvers and have come to the conclusion the Soundcraftsmen shoe boxes sound the best by far. I will be listening to much music this weekend. Enjoy!
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

It's hard to argue with success or happiness (though people do try sometimes), so enjoy, enjoy enjoy. When I had my L7s prowered by a pair of Soundcraftsmen A400s they were amazing. Right now the L7s are unused as I wait for an office update, but when it's done, my babies and the A400s will be back together.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    Im gonna get one as well. One of the two I own has the fan too loud, the other pops fairly loud when turned on and hums out the left speaker. They have great authoritative juice that was born for the L series. The insides are pretty gunked so looking forward to one that is essentially new, rare opportunity on what I believe was a $500 box 20yrs ago
    Did you ever get one of those? I bought the last beater and a mint one. They just don't look like they were ever used, they came in the original boxes, packing and everything. I just wish I could find a service manual or schematics if I ever need it. About a month ago I ran across a Kenwood Basic M2 for $50 it is 220 wpc and a damping factor of over 1000. It is now doing LF on the L7's and the upper is run by the S800. This is the best combo I have found. (or can afford) My mint Carver M-500T went up for sale to pay for these. I was surprised by the Kenwood and how good it sounded when I checked it out on my 4412A,s. I read it had very good bass and it really does. Thats why I have it running the bottoms on my L7's now.

Arrives tomorrow! Went with one of the newer units, as I already have to S800.

EDIT, Sunday: With the arrival of the PS setup, the L5s were moved to the bedroom and paired with my 93 Kenwood 100WPC integrated. I'm putting together some presentation material for a work trip tomorrow. Listening to some Soundscapes off digital cable as usual, and man are they sweet. For this room (12x12, vaulted ceilings), the bass is absolutely a perfect balance, any more would be too much, any less would be too little

Hey guys,

I just inherited a pair of the L5s, they are in pretty good condition, weren't really used too much, and work perfectly. I don't know a whole lot about speakers... what I have been using this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290174
    Obviously I didn't pay anything near that price for it and a denon avr 1611....

What do I do with these L5s? I think they sound great but they probably aren't great for home theatre which is something I predominantly use. Do I sell them? Is there a way to make a complete system with these?

Appreciate the help

Hopefully JBLaddict will chime in since he and I have both had complete L Series (1990s) HT systems. I had L7s up from, L5s on the sides, and further back L7s on the rears That was probably a waste of a pair of L7s back there, but I had plenty, so...

Practically speaking, no one who came over for dinner and a movie nights every said the system was anything other than the best they'd ever heard, but truth be told I suspect they hadn't heard much. You can make a very dynamic HT system with L7s or L5s up front with maybe an L3 as a center, then L3s or L1s as your surrounds and rears. Add in at least two subs (at the midpoint of the sidewalls) and you'd beat almost anyone you know for great HT sound.

Such a system will definitely kick the Polk's butt, but at the expense of more real estate in your room.

Full disclosure: I have a better system now, JBL Synthesis® One Array, but it cost at least 15 times as much as the whole L Series system picked up from ebay or craigslist (minus the original L7 pair which I bought new), and it's fantastic, but not 15x fantastic.
    Out.

BTW, welcome Scharnhorst!
    Out.

Thread Information