Page 66 of 76 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL L Series (1990s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung1956 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I like the L5 but I find the midrange a little bit hot. I turn my midrange tone control down one notch (11 oclock) and this makes the sound less fatiguing. The 035tia may be the best tweeter I've ever heard, and this includes EMIT and HEIL!
    My ears are older.

The 4412 is a good sounding speaker and doesn't need any apologies. I just like the L5 better.
    Out.

L7 crossover for bi-amp

Hi all,

First a bit of background. I am a fairly recent member of the L series club. I currently own L1s, 3s, and 5s. My main and only setup at the moment is a combination 2-channel/HT situation. I am using my L5s as my main speakers along with a Synthesis S2S 15" sub to supplement the low end. I am using an Audio Research LS3 pre-amp which feeds an Ashly XR1001 crossover. The high frequencies (crossover set at 40Hz) feed a Yamaha PC2002M amp which in turn feeds the L5s. The summed mono low frequencies feed a bridged Yamaha P2500S which is connected to the S2S. I have been playing with crossover settings for the last month or so and I think the 40Hz setting lets the L5s and sub mesh very nicely.

I will be moving in a month or so and my new house will allow me to separate my 2-channel system and HT system. I will also be picking up a set of L7s in the next week or so. My new stereo room will allow me to setup the L7s properly with no equipment in between them. I plan to bi-amp them using my setup above with the only changes being the crossover frequency and of course I'll be running the P2500S in stereo mode to feed both L7 woofers. Can anyone verify the internal jumper setting on the L7s to make this happen? From the photo below it looks like all I would have to do is move the jumper from "Normal" setting over to the "Bi-amp" setting as well as remove the plates from the binding posts. Is this correct and do I need to do anything else? Thanks.

[QUOTE=localhost127;304201]

I believe that is correct. I have a similar setup to yours using XPL-160's, I have L5's for the rear with a rear 2235 music sub "B380 clone". I am not currently using my L7's but may pull them out and try what you are doing with the crossover just for fun.
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

l7 biamp

if you used an identical amp for each speaker wouldn't the factory crossover work?Just pulling the jumper bars off and wiring in 2 amps works.I used 2 hafler dh-500 amps and the l7s roared.If I wired an amp to hf and the other to lf what would change.mfkbank

That's fine if you aren't running an external crossover. Works very well. It'll likely improve using a setup like migman's.

In your setup the amps are still running full-range
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

JBL,L7 jumper

The blue jumper wire on the LF crossover can also be changed, that will bypass the capacitors C1 and C2, the woofer will produce a lower frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by hificanada View Post
    The blue jumper wire on the LF crossover can also be changed, that will bypass the capacitors C1 and C2, the woofer will produce a lower frequency.
    Sure, and if you look back seven-years in this thread you'll find that reference:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post177549

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post178680

Not sure what you mean by "will produce a lower frequency" though.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Here's some inside pics of JBL L100mk2, bass, mid and xover:

http://www.diyaudio.rs/blog/10/entry...100-mk2-slike/

I'll do the measurements with holmimpulse in few days and post them here.

Xover looks bad and sad. Electrolytic capacitors are done. They need replacement and coil on the bass is with Fe core. That will be replaced with Jantzen toroidal 4.7mH.

I know that they can do better with few components replaced but they sound good even like this. Midrange is a bit like someone put curtain in front of it but i think that will dissapear when the 100uF electrolytic capacitor is replaced with polypropylene one.

Long tIme L5 Owner

Hi, I came across this forum couple of years ago and follow it on and off. I thought it would be a good idea to register and share my thoughts and comments. I purchased a pair of L5 speakers in May 1994 from a big-box retailer. They sold for $1200 a pair at the time but I got it on sale for $1000. Since that time I have used them as my primary speakers for both music and HT. Barring two house moves they have stayed in the same spot in my dedicated HT room. Over the last 15-20 years I have auditioned several renowned audiophile speakers as potential replacements: KEF, B&W, Monitor Audio, Paradigm, Dynaudio, etc. Amazingly, no sub-$3K speaker has come close in performance. This could be confirmation bias at work or I have just grown used to the sound of the L5. The really cool thing is that they are truly hidden gems, very few in the audio world know about them. When I mention these speakers in other forums, I am met with blank stares, figuratively. It is like you know of this incredibly cool garage band and no one else in the world has an idea.

The best part of the L5s is the fact that they are as close to a studio monitor sound as I can find . This is counter-intuitive to many, since it is assumed titanium tweeters are overly bright and forward sounding. JBL in general also has a casual reputation as "rock and roll" type (read loud and boomy) speakers. The L5s can sound boomy in situations, but with minimal placement and room treatment the bass is tight and punchy. They are also built like a tank and I can easily see myself using them for a lifetime.

I have gotten tons of useful information here, so thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by gravi View Post
    I have gotten tons of useful information here, so thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts.
    Thanks for adding your experiences to the thread!

As i promissed:

Frequency response measurements for JBL L100mk2

Sound card : M-audio 0202 usb
    Mic: Panasonic WM61A
    Software: HOLMimpulse

Sound is Ok but not perfect. Bass is good but it sounds much better when i plug the BR. Like there is an echo from it. I think JBL made a mistake puting it on back side of cabinet. There is a lot of sibilance from tweeters. I am guessing that 3dB rise from 8KHz to 18KHz contribute a lot to that. Atenuation for it should be redone. I will do it in a few weeks because exams take away little spare time that i have.

L7s off to storage today, had them in the garage for two years, occasionally out for a spin, but head to head with the PSeries, just no point taking up space. And how about the room in cargo space in a 7 seat sedan!

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 2578
Size:  78.8 KB
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Mine have been in storage for almost 2 years now, I may have to pull them out and play them on the new equipment. Enjoy yours!
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Quote Originally Posted by Zvuchniak View Post
    Here's some inside pics of JBL L100mk2, bass, mid and xover:

http://www.diyaudio.rs/blog/10/entry...100-mk2-slike/

I'll do the measurements with holmimpulse in few days and post them here.

Xover looks bad and sad. Electrolytic capacitors are done. They need replacement and coil on the bass is with Fe core. That will be replaced with Jantzen toroidal 4.7mH.

I know that they can do better with few components replaced but they sound good even like this. Midrange is a bit like someone put curtain in front of it but i think that will dissapear when the 100uF electrolytic capacitor is replaced with polypropylene one.
    Why didn't you make it a four way?

I am so very torn between which L series speakers to look for... My heart says L7 or bust, a rational part says L5 or even L3... anyone faced a similar conundrum?

Thread Information