Page 75 of 76 FirstFirst ... 256573747576 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1133

Thread: JBL L Series (1990s)

Quote Originally Posted by bassmanz View Post
    Not crazy about Black towers so I gave it a go with a Birch veneer and some Metallic Gold Paint. New stands to replace the plastic ones. Not a perfect job but... these are Great Speakers even if they have a few years on them...
    Those look great! Now they have a kind of Danish or Scandinavian look to them which actually helps highlight their geometric uniqueness. That's very nice work that provides an aesthetic beauty worthy of the L7's sonic beauty.
    Out.

L7s - time for a tune up

So I took my L7s in for a bench test and diagnosis to see if anything is amiss after 27 years of ownership. Just got back into music after almost exclusively HT for most of 2 decades and they just didnt seem right after extended listening. Replaced with my L5s and I have a bad feeling they may need some work to get back to spec and accuracy. Seemed like the mid and mid bass was thin, highs a bit lacking, and bass a bit muddy. I run them with a HK Citation 24 and that should be plenty of juice. The L5s seem to have a wider soundstage and more mids so I think they will check out as needing some work. Will update but the guy who has em is a big JBL fan and once he is done I can tackle tearing em down and making em pretty again with some fresh finish and new grill cloth. I miss em as the L5s dont command the same presence and its gonna be a while without em, but it will be worth it and they can go another 20+ years after this tune up.

PS - Really need to find a line on a pair of L1s for my Center Speakers so if anyone has a line on some or willing to part in SoCal area let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by daveinfv View Post
    So I took my L7s in for a bench test and diagnosis to see if anything is amiss after 27 years of ownership. Just got back into music after almost exclusively HT for most of 2 decades and they just didnt seem right after extended listening. Replaced with my L5s and I have a bad feeling they may need some work to get back to spec and accuracy. Seemed like the mid and mid bass was thin, highs a bit lacking, and bass a bit muddy. I run them with a HK Citation 24 and that should be plenty of juice. The L5s seem to have a wider soundstage and more mids so I think they will check out as needing some work. Will update but the guy who has em is a big JBL fan and once he is done I can tackle tearing em down and making em pretty again with some fresh finish and new grill cloth. I miss em as the L5s dont command the same presence and its gonna be a while without em, but it will be worth it and they can go another 20+ years after this tune up.

PS - Really need to find a line on a pair of L1s for my Center Speakers so if anyone has a line on some or willing to part in SoCal area let me know.
    Multiple surrounds, tweets getting rebuilt, and full crossover upgrades in process. Cant wait for em to come home.

Quote Originally Posted by daveinfv View Post
    Multiple surrounds, tweets getting rebuilt, and full crossover upgrades in process. Cant wait for em to come home.
    Way to keep those legends alive Sir ! Enjoy em when they come home.

Can anyone here tell me where I can find a shop that can replace the foam surrounds on a JBL on a pair of bass speakers in the Washington, DC area?

Quote Originally Posted by VintageJBL View Post
    Can anyone hear tell me where I can find a shop that can replace the foam surrounds on a JBL on a pair of bass speakers in the Washington, DC area?
    I'm not a shop, but I've done it a few dozen times.
    What model speaker and how soon do you need it done?
    I'm in Fairfax.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I'm not a shop, but I've done it a few dozen times. What model speaker and how soon do you need it done? I'm in Fairfax.
    They are a pair of L80t3. Also, I have a pair of L100t3 that need the same done to them. I don't have any set time frame that I need them. I live in Gainesville and can deliver them to you. If you can only do one pair then it would be the L80s. I can get you the exact part number of the speakers. They are all original components for the respective model of speaker. I am the original owner of the L100s and have owned the L80s for 10-15 years. Thanks for the quick response.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I'm not a shop, but I've done it a few dozen times.
    What model speaker and how soon do you need it done?
    Ahh, retirement! ;>)
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Bold move!

Love my L5s and L7s as I've posted before. My bold move? I want to move the L7s into main service for a bit. My McIntosh Mac4300V is going under the knife for a refresh. My amp driving the L7s will be a Crown XLS402 or my Luxman R-117. Is this sufficient sound-wise? NOT power-wise. There's enough power, I am after SQ that will do the L7s justice.

Above post all tongue in cheek

I wanted to keep the thread alive and I do know, that with enough good power, these speakers would show what they have. Yes, I love the L Series. I have put the L7s in the main system. I tested them out with music from FM radio/classic hits. Meh. GOOD speakers, but they didn't WOW me. THEN I put in a few CDs running through my Luxman R117...BOOM! What a great sounding pair of speakers! I have the 12s facing in with about two feet of clearance and the rears about 18 inches from the wall, so I'm close to optimum placement. Every time I'm home and Rebecca is not, I put in more CDs and crank it. Now to A/B these with my 2426s with new Radian diaphragms on 2344s over the LE14H. Can't wait.

Why not listen with Rebecca? Angela and I jam out all the time. In fact, it's nice having another pair of ears for when I make changes or think it sounds good but there's this one little aspect I *think* you notice but no one else will and then yep, she calls it out. Turn on the music, order some pizza, pour some drinks and let the good times flow.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Why not listen with Rebecca? Angela and I jam out all the time. In fact, it's nice having another pair of ears for when I make changes or think it sounds good but there's this one little aspect I *think* you notice but no one else will and then yep, she calls it out. Turn on the music, order some pizza, pour some drinks and let the good times flow.
    Rebecca does not like loud music and can barely distinguish different speakers from one another. She volunteered that information.We do listen to music together and have our evenings. My rewards? Spending a night (or anytime with her) and knowing the music being played is being represented well.

Missing L7s

Before our last move, I boxed up my L7s and shipped them from CA to my son in Michigan. My SO is not normally a loud listener, though if I get in her car to move it, the system is too loud, and I turn that s$#& down! Those L7s were monsters on classic rock, hard rock, jazz, dance tracks, club mixes, and trance. Sadly, she doesnÂ’t like most of that, especially loud, so to keep other JBLs in play, I sent these off to my son.She likes the looks of K2 S9900, so those satisfy her aesthetically, and when we arenÂ’t listening to what she likes at moderate levels and sheÂ’s out of the house, then the K2s are a nice fill-in for the L7s.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Before our last move, I boxed up my L7s and shipped them from CA to my son in Michigan. My SO is not normally a loud listener, though if I get in her car to move it, the system is too loud, and I turn that s$#& down! Those L7s were monsters on classic rock, hard rock, jazz, dance tracks, club mixes, and trance. Sadly, she doesnÂ’t like most of that, especially loud, so to keep other JBLs in play, I sent these off to my son.She likes the looks of K2 S9900, so those satisfy her aesthetically, and when we arenÂ’t listening to what she likes at moderate levels and sheÂ’s out of the house, then the K2s are a nice fill-in for the L7s.
    Nice systems, of course. Above my pay grade. I'm not sure, having not heard them, what more they bring to the party though. Improvements seem to be so incrementally small at a certain point.

Quote Originally Posted by turnitdown View Post
    Nice systems, of course. Above my pay grade. I'm not sure, having not heard them, what more they bring to the party though. Improvements seem to be so incrementally small at a certain point.
    All that said, I am REALLY liking these. First time with dome tweeters in a long time (I am partial to JBL horns.) I'm leaving them in the main system until my MAC4300V comes back from Bob in a week or so.

Thread Information