Since there's been some interest generated in the L Series, here's a thread to start accumulating L Series info and comments. Up front I'll admit this is one of my favorite consumer lines, so I'm happy to start this.

The L Series consisted of four models, the two-way L1, two-way L3, four-way L5, and four-way L7, with the L7 being the high end speaker. At the end of its model run, the L7 sold for $1000/ea., the L5 for $690/ea., the L3 for $470/ea., and the L1 for $320/ea. in mid 1990s dollars.

A few people have claimed there was an L Center, but I've never seen one or even a picture of one. Anyone having proof is welcome to chime in.

The common charactersitics of the L Series are the real Black Ash veneer enclosures, enclosures that are deeper than they are wide, the slanting of the baffle at the top of each enclosure, the sheer black grilles with plastic frames, and the ubiquitous use of the 035TIA tweeter at the top of the slanted baffle.

Other drivers used included 5", 6.5", 8" and 12" variations, depending on the speaker model and enclosure. Only the L7 had the LE120H-1 woofer, which was mounted on the side of the enclosure, facing the center of the soundstage. Thus the L7 models had right and left configurations. The L7, L5, and L3 also had plastic bases for the user to attach, increasing stability and improving the looks.

The L7 was bi-amp capable, and JBL had a rather long treatise in the L7 Supplement about the virtues of doing so.

The JBL Library has a nice brochure about the L Series here: http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...2-l-series.htm