Page 70 of 76 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1133

Thread: JBL L Series (1990s)

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Thanks. I should give it a try, after I get everything organized and move into my new home. What spike setup did you use? A bit hard to see from the photo. I have two pairs of L7s so I can make direct comparisons.
    I used these
    https://www.parts-express.com/parts-...4-pcs--240-730

4 pieces of 1" angle iron cut into 1 foot pieces, Round corners and drill and tap for the threaded spikes/lock nuts. I drilled two additional holes with countersink to screw the angle to the base of the cabinet from the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by jkrichards View Post
    I used these
    https://www.parts-express.com/parts-...4-pcs--240-730

4 pieces of 1" angle iron cut into 1 foot pieces, Round corners and drill and tap for the threaded spikes/lock nuts. I drilled two additional holes with countersink to screw the angle to the base of the cabinet from the bottom.
    You must have bought them out! Out of stock!

I see these come with inserts. I wonder if the bottoms of the L7 would support installing the inserts, and it that might not be a better solution, though granted the L7 could use a bit of an outrigger to keep it steady with kids or dogs.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Too bad old school snowmobile spikes aren’t usually available in small quantities... ~$1/ea but in 50-100 pc bags.

Quote Originally Posted by jkrichards View Post
    I have owned both the L5 and L7. The L5 has weak bass and is easy to overdrive the 8" woofer to failure. If you listen to Vinyl get the L7.
    I would like to comment here. Originally I sought the L7, but had trouble finding a pair that weren't priced by a nut job, and settled on a pair of L5 that someone sold me. Unfortunately the woofers were a little worse for wear and they suffered from the aforementioned above overdriving. I recall reading somewhere that having a port directly behind the speaker can allow for overextension. Regardless of the cause, the voice coil former had hit the back magnet and delaminated some coil... recipe for disaster.

Fortunately they were rebuilt by a professional and I was able to preserve these speakers. The weak bass is somewhat of an issue I agree, and would only run the L5 if augmenting using subwoofers. I run a pair of 12" sealed Infinity 1262w from about 80hz down. I have driven these quite hard and enjoy them in my system. One can do much worse.

All that said... I would love to find some L7's

Finally a solution to the rotten / dissolving tweeter dampener on the 035Tia.

I found this on ebay. The dampeners we need for the L7 (and others) for the tweeters. Installed today and what a difference it makes. No harsh high frequency. My original foam was rotten and not doing what it was designed to do.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162909599587

New Link:

I found this on ebay. The dampeners we need for the L7 (and others) for the tweeters. Installed today and what a difference it makes. No harsh high frequency. My original foam was rotten and not doing what it was designed to do.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162923277235

You might want to make it clear whether the eBay seller being richards-electronics in Maryland is just a coincidence...

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    You might want to make it clear whether the eBay seller being richards-electronics in Maryland is just a coincidence...
    Good catch!
    Not that it doesn't provide a valuable service (price not withstanding) but being up-front and honest about any affiliation is the proper way to handle it.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

L5's Coming and Placement

Saw a nearby pair of L5's for sale and just can't let them get away. Had a pair a few years back and still regret selling them. Get 'em on Sun night or Mon.

Read this entire thread - WOW!!! So much information here.

I was reading my User's Manual about placement of L series speakers and saw that JBL recommends all of the L's (not just the L7) be 3 feet from a back wall and 3 feet from a side wall. I missed that before. Seems not to be so critical with the L1, L3, and L5.

And finally, would placement of the L7 be so touchy if it had a front facing woofer?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by rickmoen View Post
    And finally, would placement of the L7 be so touchy if it had a front facing woofer?
    Hope you enjoy them.

As the owner of two-pair of L7, two-pair of L5, an L3 and an L1 it is my opinion that the placement issues of the L7 are overblown. They have issues common to any rear-vented speaker and work better if there's not an audio-shrine stuffed between them but beyond that they can overcome many room issues and still offer a soundstage you can walk through. But if their reputation helps keep their price down so we can scoop them up for pennies on the dollar, I'm all in favor of perpetuating the misconception.

Any news on replacement surrounds for 708G-1?

Sad to say my L5's are out of commission due to the 708G-1 surrounds splitting/tearing right where the inner edge of the roll meets the cone.

The same thing happened a while back. I have refoamed lots of woofers, so I tried refoaming them back then. The replacements weren't an exact fit so I had to trim the outer edge back because there is only 1/8" of basket to glue to. I must have bungled it because the voice coil started rubbing shortly thereafter. Ugh. So I "borrowed" the 708G-1's from my L3's, but now those surrounds have split the same way.

I couldn't find anything on this thread about exact fit surrounds, but the last mention was almost 2 years ago, so I thought I'd check with fingers crossed. I really doubt there are any replacements with the same material (that cool kind of pseudo rubber/foam blend?) but I'm hoping for an exact fit. Anyone have any good news or alternative repair ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by jbl-ahhh; 04-24-2018 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Pictures too big

JBL L7 mains w/ JBL professional center and surrounds

My home theater. I've had my L7's since 1992 and I still love them. I added a JBL professional 3677 screen channel and JBL professional 9300 surrounds. The subwoofers are DIY projects. I am using QSC professional amplifiers, 1500w to each L7, 660w to the center, and 180w to each surround. The subs have a Behringer amp rated at 3000w per sub but it's probably more like 1/2 that. In any case, the sound is incredible, that is all I can say.

Name:  Theater.jpg
Views: 1401
Size:  27.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 900HP View Post
    My home theater. I've had my L7's since 1992 and I still love them. I added a JBL professional 3677 screen channel and JBL professional 9300 surrounds. The subwoofers are DIY projects. I am using QSC professional amplifiers, 1500w to each L7, 660w to the center, and 180w to each surround. The subs have a Behringer amp rated at 3000w per sub but it's probably more like 1/2 that. In any case, the sound is incredible, that is all I can say.

Name:  Theater.jpg
Views: 1401
Size:  27.7 KB
    Great room you got there. The L7 towers have an excellent presence. I’ve had mine in storage for 2 years since putting in a full performance series HT, but have contemplated swapping them back in for old time sake. The key issue owners have on this forum is bass balance with the inside firing 12” woofers and need to pull a few feet from the corners. The L series was designed before the HT boom, and didn’t have a center channel, so the design intent I’m sure was 2 channel music. Guess the massive subs between haven’t given you any issues in this regard? (I have two HTPS3-400s between my PT800/PS1400 stacks). Thanks for posting, been a while since anything new popped up on this thread, good to see L7s in a high end setup like yours. Maybe I’ll get mine back on the floor this weekend from your inspiration....cheers
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    The L series was designed before the HT boom, and didn’t have a center channel
    center channel=CL505
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    center channel=CL505
    I have one, thanks to a fellow member here, but it is an L-series match only visually. Never intended to be an acoustic match for the L-series and shares no drivers. I'll give it a try when we move, though, and report back.

Thread Information