Page 39 of 76 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL L Series (1990s)

L Series refinishing

I just wanted to chime in on this topic, I am a wood finisher by trade and would like to offer some advice. First off if your speakers only have minor blem's ( surface scratches, small chips) there is a great product called Briewax, it is a pigmented wax (which comes in ebony) it is applied the same way a car wax is and build's up as multiple coats are applied. Home depot used to carry it, not sure anymore but alot of antique furniture stores sell it.
    Next if damage is more significant ( crushed corners, deep scratches) fill with wood filler, bondo works great to build up damaged corners. If you are good with a paint brush, Minwax makes a product called Polyshades, it is a colored polyurethare, comes in black, clean cabinets good, lightly sand and apply with good quality brush, or roller. If you use a roller I recomed using a mohair roller and apply multiple thin coats sanding in between. The best method is to do all necessary repairs and apply a black lacquer paint with a spray gun, just did my L1's and 5's any they look awsome. I know this is not something everyone is capable of, but if you find a local cabinet shop or refinisher they may be willing to do this for you. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by timoxmas View Post
    I just wanted to chime in on this topic, I am a wood finisher by trade and would like to offer some advice. First off if your speakers only have minor blem's ( surface scratches, small chips) there is a great product called Briewax, it is a pigmented wax (which comes in ebony) it is applied the same way a car wax is and build's up as multiple coats are applied. Home depot used to carry it, not sure anymore but alot of antique furniture stores sell it.
    Next if damage is more significant ( crushed corners, deep scratches) fill with wood filler, bondo works great to build up damaged corners. If you are good with a paint brush, Minwax makes a product called Polyshades, it is a colored polyurethare, comes in black, clean cabinets good, lightly sand and apply with good quality brush, or roller. If you use a roller I recomed using a mohair roller and apply multiple thin coats sanding in between. The best method is to do all necessary repairs and apply a black lacquer paint with a spray gun, just did my L1's and 5's any they look awsome. I know this is not something everyone is capable of, but if you find a local cabinet shop or refinisher they may be willing to do this for you. Hope this helps
    Tim, as an L owner and wood finisher, what is your opinion on the quality of the L series cabinets?
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Quote Originally Posted by timoxmas View Post
    Hope this helps
    It does, thanx....and speaking for more than just myself (at the usual perils) , please keep up the refinishing tips....might be a good idea to start a separate thread and flood us with any handy clues ....we ask about these topics often

regards ..TOM
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

+1 on thanks for the refinishing recipe.

link is not working for me?

Impressed at low volume

I saw many posts about high volume in this thread but not about low volume. My L5s are getting lots of listening time lately and I am really pleased with the performance at low volume. And low volume from just an old 60 wpc Kennwood. Did I just happen to get the speaker placement right or have others noticed that the L series shine at low power?

The L5 with one crossover and an 8" 6.5" midbass/bass combo is much less power demanding than the L7's two crossovers and 12"/8" combo

I ran my L5 off a 100WPC Kenwood integrated to great delight, the L7 were lackluster off that source when I first acquired them, and only came to life once I pumped >200 clean dedicated watts through their veins

My L5s sound great with everything that makes the L96 sound so fine. That being anything from a Crown D75 to a PS-200.

The L7s really like the PS-400.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Turn your grills upside down on your L's! I think it looks pretty cool on the L7's but my wife says it reminds her of my beer belly! Got the idea here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=p5197.c0.m619

Who is going to buy those?

paragon

L-Series

Old L 90,
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by paragon View Post
    Old L 90,
    Very nice looking speakers, but - aren't those part of the european only L series?
    I mean, they are not like the black ash L1, L3, L5, L7 systems ...
    Tho I will admit I like the look of yours MUCH better!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    goods looks, but I think we were talking with an L80 seller and he said those cabs are vinyl.
    Sure - Like the "Cherry" LC2 I have or the L820s I quickly resold - its a kind of plastic wood finish,
    but I still prefer that to the blackened wood boxes.
    I mean, I'd prefer real wood or a real wood veneer, but its what they made, right?

Plus - they appear to have paper (cardboard?) cone woofers like the older 10 inch woofers.

And, of course, the bottom line is always - How do they SOUND?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

paragon

L-Series

This is no wood veneer, only plastics. But this was an expensive speaker.
    And it sounds very good !!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by paragon View Post
    Old L 90,
    Some of the better parts of an L7 in a small plastic box. Name:  popcorn.gif
Views: 1090
Size:  2.8 KB
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I wish those were in my barn, I am sure they would sound exceptional!

Thread Information