Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now I've Done It!!! Recone Info Requested

Now I've Done It!!! Recone Info Requested

Yesterday I purchased the three 2205C baskets at $34 each for my L/C/R. These are to be reconed to go in my L200 cabinets replacing the 130As. I'll have OCS do the recones as they are local to me. In the long run, I decided that it was probably a better idea to buy baskets and have them reconed knowing everything is new and paying an extra ~$50 each, than to trust someone on ebay that says they recently had a set reconed that may turn out to have been umteen years ago with new foams required in the next few years. Also, I worry less about damage just shipping baskets.

My questions are:

From the WinISD, the 2235 cones will provide the best bass response. But, these will require re-foams every 10-15 years. I believe that one step down would be the 2205 cones as originally equipped, at the expense of about 5.5 dB @ 35 Hz. The 2205s do get me about 3.5 dB more than the 130As at 35 hz. Is there a cone between the two (2235/2205) that gives better bass than the 2205, but never needs redoing (i.e., paper or cloth edge)?

I have N1200 x-overs (16 ohm). My horn drivers (LE175s) are 8 ohm. I hope to retain the N1200s (the Yamaha Z9 has an internal digital 31 band eq which should take care of dips at the crossover point). Would it be better to recone these at 8 or 16 ohms? (The old cones were 32 ohms, hence the "C" I believe.) Currently, of the speakers in teh cabinets, two of the 130As are 8 ohm and two are 16 ohm (center channel has two).

At a cost of $45/each, OCS can "recharge" the magnets. Is this usually worth the added expense and how can you tell if it really needs doing?

I was going to hold out for real 2235s, but decided that in the future I may once again want to set a magnetic sensitive device (CRT) on the center channel so opted to stay with alnico. Besides, everyone knows that alnico just "sounds better"? Right...

BooBoo Magoo
    Always recharge an AlNiCo magnetic assembly. Recones cost too much money to waste on an unknown magnetic assembly.

No, AlNiCo doesn't sound better. I stopped using the damn things soon after SFG ferrite became available. For AlNiCo 'done right' buy the 1500AL.

Do 2235H. Mine have been running 20 years and never refoamed.

I doubt your LE175's are actually 8 Ohms by current standards. Take DCR measurements to verify.

Somebody says they have L200's, I always want to make 4430's out of them, of course. We now have a simple crossover (NL200t3) in both 8- and 16-Ohm versions that'll work with either 2342 or 2344 horns. This opens up the opportunity for retaining vintage 16-Ohm aluminum HF drivers in them, a particularly delicious combo....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Do 2235H.
    Somebody says they have L200's, I always want to make 4430's out of them, of course. We now have a simple crossover (NL200t3) in both 8- and 16-Ohm versions that'll work with either 2342 or 2344 horns. This opens up the opportunity for retaining vintage 16-Ohm aluminum HF drivers in them, a particularly delicious combo....
    Tell me about the NL200t3 and your take on recharging the magnets.

Thanks

BooBoo Magoo
    Yeah Zilch, give him your take on recharging AlNiCo magnets.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...&page=40&pp=15

Begin at post 590. 16-Ohm version comes in a coupla pages later at posts 619 and 626 et seq.

Waiting for 2342 horns to arrive for final test using 16-Ohm LE85's.

I have some LE175's I could try, but it'd be a bitch gettin' them outta the systems they're in.

I'll look up the first iteration for you now....

Here it is. I built 'em non-biased first. Robh has that pair now for evaluation:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...00t3#post49852

Quote Originally Posted by BooBoo Magoo
    Yeah Zilch, give him your take on recharging AlNiCo magnets.
    Test 'em with WT2 and see if they need it.

I've never found any that actually do....

BooBoo Magoo
    Well, there you have it. Spend $150 on the WT2 and test your three drivers to see if they need remags.

Oldmics? Subwoof? GordonW? pelly3s? Edgewound? Care to add anything?

BTW, why is OCS charging $45 a pop to remag these days? Is it tied to the price of gasoline for their kick start generator or something?

$15 a pop at http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/

BTW, why is OCS charging $45 a pop to remag these days? Is it tied to the price of gasoline for their kick start generator or something?

I consider OCS a gourmet boutique repair facility from their rates. Cheaper local can be just as good without the freight.

Not a lot of choices for remag, tho. I'd probably pay a little more and let the factory do it....

magnetic attraction

Well I have only seen a few alnico *cone* structures ( 22XX,K,D,etc) that needed to be remag'ed. And all from bands / sound companies...

Since they are pinned together ( and of course WHY didn't JBL do that with the HF drivers??? ), and have a center of gravity that is close to the mounting baffle, I suspect the "shock" issue to be less than the poor 2440's that sat on the end of a long throat and were occasionally "vibrated" right off the stack or truck pack.

Of course you often don't know the history and without a fairly expensive piece of test gear you can't tell if one is bad until it's too late.

It's interesting to note that only the first generation ferrites had mag-frame bolts that went thru the mag ( note: they were the grey painted versions ).

The later ( and current ) ones simply depended on glue strength and sometimes that softened and or seperated off the mag surface resulting in a shift. I have seen this MANY times.

BTW:
    If anyone knows a remag facility in the NE, I have (8) 2441's that I would like to have all redone to 100%. Shipping to CA from here is real expensive and JBL's canoga park rate was ( last I checked ) about 58 bucks a pop.

sub

I'm jealous!

8 "2441's"!!!!!

I went to Great Plains for Altec clones as I could not find decent 2441's from a decent source.

Cool!!!

Ron

Well, there you have it. Spend $150 on the WT2 and test your three drivers to see if they need remags.

Oldmics? Subwoof? GordonW? pelly3s? Edgewound? Care to add anything?

The flux strength can be tested before remagnetizing, so the expense is not certain. I'd recone as 2235H for the best playback performance. The surround can be sealed with a PVA compound to make them last a few years longer, but longevity mostly depends on what kind atmosphere they're subjected too. Keep them away from UV light especially....like sun through windows. Also, direct blast from heater vents.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

&%#ing meow

"The flux strength can be tested before remagnetizing, so the expense is not certain. I'd recone as 2235H for the best playback performance. The surround can be sealed with a PVA compound to make them last a few years longer, but longevity mostly depends on what kind atmosphere they're subjected too. Keep them away from UV light especially....like sun through windows. Also, direct blast from heater vents."

Don't forget the errant feline....lost a pair of 2245 surrounds some years ago. Cat soon followed.

If anybody needs a bad mag, I have (1) LE175 and (1) K120. Neither have foilcals.

2 of the 2441's are the meyer variant and need the gap cleaned out of the ferrofluid remains and new diaphrams. Any takers?? I haven't looked at them in 9 years....

sub

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...&page=40&pp=15

Begin at post 590. 16-Ohm version comes in a coupla pages later at posts 619 and 626 et seq.

Waiting for 2342 horns to arrive for final test using 16-Ohm LE85's.

I have some LE175's I could try, but it'd be a bitch gettin' them outta the systems they're in.

I'll look up the first iteration for you now....

Here it is. I built 'em non-biased first. Robh has that pair now for evaluation:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?
    p=49852&highlight=N200t3#post49852
    Never recall seeing passive x-overs that use a battery before??? Kind of hard to access in the sealed cabinet isn't it? What is the battery life?

pelly3s
    Well the on going dicussion of recharging a maginet. if the speaker has been used for traveling professional use i would recommend it. Sometimes it makes a difference, sometimes it doesnt. I have found a 3 to 6 dB increase in some drivers, the biggest increase was in TAD 1601's. I have also found an increase of 3 to 4 dB in some JBL drivers that have been through a war. The best thing to do is if they are going to recone it when they take the kit out tell them you want to see the gauss reading and compair it to JBL orginal specs.

My shop does them for $25 a driver, I will do it for $20 a driver for anyone here.

sub im not too far from you if you wanna send them down

Thread Information