Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Project with JBL's 4647 and 2445

jbl

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    That sounds like a good option to try. 2225/2226 can play 800 Hz easily in that system, I'd think....
    Seamless crossover. Fast attack and great bass awaits you.
    Enjoy.
    Ron

Rework these horn cabinets, maybe?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CABINETS-FOR-JBL...QQcmdZViewItem

New Project with JBL's 4647 and 2445

Thanks a lot Zilch. I'm right on 'em. That was so considerate of you. Thanks a lot again-been busy lately.

From all the input thus far, I have decided now to begin looking for subs for this system. Primarily because I accept what most have said, and from my reading that the bass on the woofers need compliments.

Those who've seen these woofers or heard them before, would they please make suggestions on the subs.
    Thanks.
    Music, I say, is the first love I will miss, when I die.

New Project with JBL's 4647 and 2445

Sent two sets of E-mails to this guy now about the size, etc of these cabs. No response. Maybe a good sign for me to pay heed.

I sent a PM to Ron today, maybe he will get those pics up for us soon.

I'm in the market for the 3115A crossovers (for the benefit of all) and also a pair of
    2235H drivers.

Actually, what do people think of this: would getting a pair 'over-doing it' or would just one do the job? And it seems I would be needing another Amp to drive the one or two of these. Any recommendations for a power sub amp? Anyone, please. If you have these, what are you using them with? I thought if I'm going to get a 'em, I'd like something that is sonically 'warm'.

Now somehere here we thought we would go for the Altec look-with the introduction of these subwoofers, any ideas on what look we would now examine? Increasingling, it's looking to me as though the sub would not be cased together. That could be my young mind speaking. Ideas please...

I have decided to follow suit and follow Zilch to acquring the UltraCurve DEQ2496 ,except if I'm reasonably advised against it, for this system. One of my worries is that it will not compliment these antiques, though it seem to do for Zilch and others...

Quote Originally Posted by nestawasright
    Sent two sets of E-mails to this guy now about the size, etc of these cabs. No response. Maybe a good sign for me to pay heed.
    For the kind of money it looks like those will go for, it don't look like there's much of a gamble....

I'm in the market for the 3115A crossovers (for the benefit of all) and also a pair of 2235H drivers.
    Yup, we're watchin' for those for you. If nothin' shows in the next month or so, we'll come up with some alternatives for you to consider.

Actually, what do people think of this: would getting a pair 'over-doing it' or would just one do the job? And it seems I would be needing another Amp to drive the one or two of these.
    Two's better so you can play them in stereo. Yes, you'll need another amp to run 'em, and a crossover unless your controller has a sub output on it. We'll have some recommendations for an economical (<$300) resolution of those matters.

BUT, it may be you'll be trying swappin' those 2235H's into your 2507's in lieu of the 2225H's there instead, when the time comes. Start lookin' for them now, in any case, or a thrashed pair of 2225H's you can have reconed to 2235H.

Now somehere here we thought we would go for the Altec look-with the introduction of these subwoofers, any ideas on what look we would now examine? Increasingling, it's looking to me as though the sub would not be cased together. That could be my young mind speaking. Ideas please.
    If you ultimately decide to add subwoofers, they'll be in separate cabinets. Box design instructions for B380 appear on the last page of this article:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/.../1983-subs.htm

I have decided to follow suit and follow Zilch to acquring the UltraCurve DEQ2496, except if I'm reasonably advised against it, for this system. One of my worries is that it will not compliment these antiques, though it seem to do for Zilch and others.
    It'll work fine with your system, but an RTA/digital equalizer is more like supplemental gear; it's not essential to gettin' your system up and running. I don't think I'd be getting one until everything was operational.

[I might be puttin' it on my Xmas list now, tho.... ]

jbl

I'm in the market for the 3115A crossovers (for the benefit of all) and also a pair of
    2235H drivers.

Actually, what do people think of this: would getting a pair 'over-doing it' or would just one do the job? And it seems I would be needing another Amp to drive the one or two of these. Any recommendations for a power sub amp? Anyone, please. If you have these, what are you using them with? I thought if I'm going to get a 'em, I'd like something that is sonically 'warm'.

Now somehere here we thought we would go for the Altec look-with the introduction of these subwoofers, any ideas on what look we would now examine? Increasingling, it's looking to me as though the sub would not be cased together. That could be my young mind speaking. Ideas please...

I have decided to follow suit and follow Zilch to acquring the UltraCurve DEQ2496 ,except if I'm reasonably advised against it, for this system. One of my worries is that it will not compliment these antiques, though it seem to do for Zilch and others...

I sent a PM to Ron today, maybe he will get those pics up for us soon.

Hi Mike,

At the moment I don't have a digital camera, sorry.
    I'm using the 2425J compression drivers mounted in the 4507s. Your 2445s won't fit. The brace running from the baffle to the rear of the cabinet will prohibit this. You'll have to place the 2445 on top of the cabinet. I'll check today if I took any 35 mm photos of the speakers.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv
    how about this one.... complete with the lovely (and approving) spousal unit representation....

I like the looks of the Exemplar, has anyone hear heard them? Love my A7s...

think I may be selling my Model 19s -- a pair on ebay closed at over 2Gs recently.....
    Has anyone seen or have access to the dimension specs to the Altec Lansing Model 19.

Hi Post a email address or send one to me in a pm. I think I have a spec sheet for constructing a pair of 19,s Will try to find it. Someone sent it to me years ago and it seemed to be the real deal.

I was looking at the picture of the horn, and it does not look like a 2380 to me at all? It does not even look like JBL?

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    I was looking at the picture of the horn, and it does not look like a 2380 to me at all? It does not even look like JBL?
    I agree - 'not a JBL. The 2380 has 3 mounting holes vertically, (not 2), with holes in the corners, and 4 holes horizontally, not 3.

John

Y'all are saying Nesta's horns are neither 2380 nor 2380A?

Looks like the 3115A's went for too much $$$.

Consider 3110A crossovers as a second option as discussed above....

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Has anyone seen or have access to the dimension specs to the Altec Lansing Model 19.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jmarkwart/index.html

check here...

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    I agree - 'not a JBL. The 2380 has 3 mounting holes vertically, (not 2), with holes in the corners, and 4 holes horizontally, not 3.

John
    John and Johnace I have no reason to say something IS what's it's NOT. Those horns, along with the rest of the system that started this thread were bought at University's summer/clear out sale. They have then been sitting at my friends garage coming to two years now. Myself, upon your comments about the 'holes', have gone back and counted them, against the pics of the 2380A picture I have, and yes, mine have two holes, NOT three. So, thanks to both of you for bringing this to our attention. We now have to figure out exactly what horns those are. I know they are JBL horns, that much I know for sure. Why? you ask. Since this is a university, I know that they would not have bought the horns and the drivers separately. They would have bought the whole system from a JBL distributor. I may be wrong, clearly, this is speculation. But I'll kiss the person's feet who would come up with the 'real' horns. I missed it, so thanks to the two 'John's' for bringing this to our attention. There is no question about the driver as the picture is very clear, so I suppose out first point of investigation is trying to determine exactly which horns JBL would have installed those drivers on. The first to solve this one gets a thumbs up! You saved me the frustration of building a project around an inaccurate system. Now we have to begin thinking of alternative to house the 2445J drivers (undisputed). I imagine looking for the horns will set the project even further as the 3115A crossover and the LF, or far LF, are presently doing. Ideas, Ideas!
    Last edited by nestawasright; 11-25-2005 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Checked in the procees of writing and agree with John and Johnacs

RIP 2009
    There's also the possibility it's some kind of clone JBL horn, where they just moved the holes to avoid copyright infringement. It may be the acoustic equivalent of a 2380 in this case. Can you take some more pics and include some measurements? I'm sure we can get this figured out...

Also - 'looks like a nice set on eBay right now - they come up a lot, and usually seem to go for $150-$200 a pair in good shape: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

John

Thread Information