Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Project with JBL's 4647 and 2445

New Project with JBL's 4647 and 2445

For those of us who would not take our antique JBL's on the Antique Road Show, here is one of us, needing to build a home stereo system from the JBL 4647 (Woofer) ; boxed and the 2245 (Horns) ; not boxed

I am very new to all this-a wanna be audiophile, with tons of love for great sounding music.

I plan on making these part of my home music system. I would love your input on what I want to do.

1. Suggestions on putting the 4647 in a home-hospitable box. It's present box will never be tolerated by my girlfriend. Never.
    2. I would love to do the same for the 2245
    3. Suggestions on Midranges that would complement these two.
    4. Suggestions on other equipments; EQ, PREAMP and methods of connections that would bring the best out.

In short, you will help me, if you would be so kind, and with your knoweldge, build my first ever decent stereo system.
    Thanks for reading. I will carefully read and fully consider ALL responses. I will post pictures up and, describing and listing all information about the system. We will all look at it as having a little part of us on it; the system.
    Thanks again.
    Michael.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/The...eries/4647.pdf

Your woofer is either 2225H or 2226H, depending upon whether you have the "A" version of 4647. In either case, they (the woofers, themselves) don't have very much extended bass. Well, none, actually....

2445 is a driver. We need to know what horn it's on. A pic will tell us, if you don't know.

4647 cabinet can be finished nicely with a custom inset grille (using JBL Monitor Blue grille cloth, of course ). They are very sturdily constructed, as you no doubt know from moving them, with extra-thick front baffles, well worth using.

Then, box the HF section in a similar-dimensioned box to sit on top, with an inset separator creating a reveal, like Altec 19, I think it is. Also, see pic below for the general two-piece concept.

You're probably going to be O.K. without a midrange. You need to be thinking tweeter and subwoofer, instead.

Me? I'd invert the 4647's and cut PT-F waveguides into them, then set them up on short stands and tell the GF they are "Bookshelf" speakers you've creatively adapted for floor use. See my avatar.

Depending upon what horns you have, you may be able to cut them into the 4647 boxes, actually.

Also, in another thread, your system is apparently for sale on eBay if you want another pair to work with:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=7465

Please enable location display in your profile so we know where you are. Click "User CP," above, to do it....

Who's gotta pic of the Altec I'm referring to, please?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks a lot for that Z.

I would soon, very soon, go get a digital camera or borrow one and have the pics up here.

I may not need to, if this added information helps out. These are pulled from the backs of the speakers.

JBL
    Serial
    12995A

JBL
    2445 J
    16 Holmes
    Serial

Would you please point me to where I could get this: "inset grille (using JBL Monitor Blue grille cloth".

I am simply amazed on first, how you thought of inversing your 4647s and how in the world did you accomplish the task. You may send me detail instrucions, if you will to my E-mail or here. What is "a PT-F waveguides".

Any suggestions on gear that would complement these. Also suggestions on Subwoofers and Tweeter. Thanks for the link on Ebay.
    Music, I say, is the first love I will miss, when I die.

Quote Originally Posted by nestawasright
    Would you please point me to where I could get this: "inset grille (using JBL Monitor Blue grille cloth".
    The objective is to make these "presentable" as furnishings.

Your front baffles are recessed about 1/2", no?

Measure for dimensions inside the recess.

Go to your local window glass shop and have them make a pair of rectangular window screens about 1/8" smaller all around than the recess, i.e., 1/4" smaller in each dimension. $40 max.

Purchase enough grille cloth to cover them and install. I only said "JBL Monitor Blue" because I sell it. Get whatever color you prefer.

Alternatively, forum member Sonofagun has some 1/4" thick acoustically transparent foam you could stick onto the screen with spray adhesive. He'll likely paint it any color you like, if you ask him.

Buy self-adhesive Velco mounting squares at the hardware store, and mount to the cabinet and the backs of the screens at the four corners.

Install your new grilles, pour a cool one, put on your favorite music, and think about whether or not you really have to refinish the cabinets after all....

[Note: Grille removal tool is an unbent big paper clip.]

Better?

Put a footing under them, and those cabinets are keepers....

Actually, while we are on presentation, I have been entertaining the possibility of finding some good oak to build another cabinet for both set. I had plan on giving the cabinets a fine finish. And also, I was thinking of building cabinets that would be more "hospitable" in a living room. Since you say these cabinets are keepers, would you suggest on ways I could finish them? If you think of ways I could build the ones I talked about, that would be great as well. Would you happen to know the specifications for building cabinets for the horns? Still working on getting those pictures. Surely, they will be up before the end of this week. Thanks for your pics. I'm afraid the blue is a bit, well, I don't think the GF will go for it. Any other colors you have? I won't mind buying them from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Better?

Put a footing under them, and those cabinets are keepers....

Those are Sonofagun's foam grilles I mocked up for you there. They're a darker, more "royal" blue than the camera flash represents. He can make them in a variety of colors.

My point with the cabinets is it's unlikely you will be able to build, or have built, any better performing cabinets than you already have. Talk to your cabinet maker about veneering them in the wood of your choice, a footing under them, and a solid wood moulding around the front to match.

If you're thinking of solid hardwood cabinets, that's a BAD idea for speakers. MDF is the material of choice.

Also, talk to him about building new boxes in the same style for the horns to sit on top. There are no acoustic requirements of consequence, as the horn and driver are sealed. I'd recommend making them of 3/4" MDF with veneer, though, so that they are substantial.

As example, here's how L200's, actual home of those grilles, are finished:

Zilch,

You attached images of John Tucker's "Exemplar" did you need details on that system? Sonic impressions?

Cyclotronguy

I posted it mainly to illustrate that two-box systems can be made quite attractive looking, but I'd enjoy knowing more about the details of that particular system and its performance.

I'm basically a reflex bass guy, but I love reading about and seeing horns, too. I think the Kleinhorn, which I believe you worked on, is a real kick, for example!

Some of those horns are real "No fear" projects....

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Who's gotta pic of the Altec I'm referring to, please?
    how about this one.... complete with the lovely (and approving) spousal unit representation....

I like the looks of the Exemplar, has anyone hear heard them? Love my A7s...

think I may be selling my Model 19s -- a pair on ebay closed at over 2Gs recently.....

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv
    how about this one.... complete with the lovely (and approving) spousal unit representation....
    and in the test chamber....

along with another Exemplar pic....

"Spousal unit."

"Spousal unit."

Hi Zilch,
    You're right on the ball. louped garouv's setup there is the kind a spouse/GF would tolerate. I love the wine/dark red tone (as in clour, for I've not been fortunate to be invited to see, feel, and hear his system-too young here, me thinks) Anywho! I love the tone and that's the color, it's the kind that I'm heading for.

Can someone please tell me, except if Zilch has and I missed it (By the way, Zilch, I have a text file of every suggestion and help you've provided thus far), the advantages to having the driver recessed back into the cabinet and the method of doing so. It's pretty cool, but for presentation sake and to allow my cabinets (pictures of which I'm still working on to be posted here, to be allowed in the apt/house) I may have to put the cloth that Zilch-again-bless him-has suggested Thanks to all who've inputed on the project here titled "New Project with JBL's 4647 and 2445". Work at this stage, mainly research, continues.

Looking forward to a whole lot more help and also, suggestions on equipments; Amp, Pre-Amp, EQ's, Midrage, Tweeter, that would complement these speakers.

Zilch suggested White's 4400, among other things. I just missed one on Ebay. Not bad since I've learnt since that I would need two of them not just one.
    Thanks all!
    P.S It was so nice to see an E-mail from this group wishing me happy birthday on Sunday. This relationship will last

I wish that were my system... they are teh exemplar like my avatar -- maybe I will try to build some day, but

Right now I am running Model 19s and A7s (802G/511 & 515B Loaded)...

I also highly recommend the 4400s -- great (and possibly cheap) EQs....

Thread Information