Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: W15GTI SUB

pangea

W15GTI SUB

I have recently added a W15GTI sub to my DIY MTM hybrids and the result is truly awesome.
    I mean the 2235's are great, but now the low end is mind blowing.
    The W15GTI manage to fill up the lowest octaves with limitless amounts of rock steady omph.

Now I have to play all my CD's again, to see which of them, has never before heard music. I love that!!!

BR
    Roland

Another convert!!! Welcome to the "deep end!"

- Forgive my laziness Todd, but is this the same model that you presently have ?

- I'm beginnig to suspect that DD woofers have a slightly different damping characteristic than what one would assume from a strict reading of the TS specs.

- ie; a Qts of .5 for a DD type may "appear" to have a lower Qts to us legacy-gap type dudes . Since I've never listened to one / I don't have an opinion to offer .

- I do find it intriguing that JBL hasn't used this technology in any of the K2 or Everest products.
    - Typically, JBL seems to showcase their engineering chops within those systems. So why not the Differential Drive stuff ?
    - It does makes me wonder about this DD technology since JBL continues to "pass" on its' inclusion within their showcase systems ( apart from the LSR series ) . I wonder what gives ?

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    - Forgive my laziness Todd, but is this the same model that you presently have ?

Yes it is, and we love it.

pangea
    Could it be they "passed" on the DD technology, because it came from the automotive section?

If DD was turned down because of some not well known flaws, they could have used the P1520E, which I would think is similar in construction, except for the DD and the massive power handling. But then again, this one also stems from the automotive department.

BR
    Roland

Roland, did this woofer replace the 2235H ( that were in the bottom cabinets ) / or are you using them in addtion to the 2235H ?

Quote Originally Posted by pangea View Post
    Could it be they "passed" on the DD technology, because it came from the automotive section?

If DD was turned down because of some not well known flaws, they could have used the P1520E, which I would think is similar in construction, except for the DD and the massive power handling. But then again, this one also stems from the automotive department.

BR
    Roland
    Or maybe because they are not made in the US (are any anymore?) and are run out of a different cost/profit center and politics can go deeper than research, or even deeper than the frequency range of the W15GTI?

Or maybe there is a different mentality behind automotive vs home use equipment and their sound, and each cost center's equipment tries to cater to this mentality?

Or maybe...???

I will note that Orange County Speaker will not work on the W15GTI or any JBL (or other) automotive models. Maybe it's beneight their dignity? (Or maybe they're just not geared up for it?)

BTW, when you paint out the ungodly center caps, be sure to use a spray paint that won't attact the decal and make it crinkle. My first coat of paint didn't but left a streaky finish. A second coat of a different paint took care of the streaks, but lifted and crinkled the decal, most of which just resettled and is unnoticable.

I found a round plastic margarine tub with a lip that was the perfect size to expose the dust cap and cut away the lip. I used thick black plastic drop cloth to make a mask around the lip and used masking tape to secure it to the lip. I set it over the cone and used large washers placed around it on the plastic drop cloth, on the cone, to eliminate any overspray onto the cone.

pangea
    Roland, did this woofer replace the 2235H ( that were in the bottom cabinets ) / or are you using them in addition to the 2235H ?

I'm using it in addition to the 2235's. I let it blend in from 16Hz to 130Hz. It sits in a very rugged 122L vented box, placed next to one of my 2235's.

The result is so VERY outstanding, that I would be very surprised if anyone had something bad to say about it after having listened to it.

BR
    Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Pangea
    - I don't think that's the reason. DD technology is ubiquitous for most of the Vertec cone transducers.
    - JBL has already re-engineered the Vertec HF drivers ( 2435H & 2431H ) for HiFi use / and prominently incorporated them within the K2 series and other Japanese HiFi products. These drivers in the SR world are pretty bland to just look at / yet JBL took the raw product / added nice backcaps, aquaplased the' diaphragms and now they are prominently displayed within product brochures everywhere.
    - No, something else is at work here that's preventing the DD woofers inclusion within JBLs' top HiFi products / and I'm not suggesting it's because the technology is second rate. Far from it. I believe the exclusion is because of something else.
    - Maybe someone here should aquaplas a 2265H and give it an aftermarket foamed surround / and then see what gives.

( okay, I seem to have to much idle time on my hands )

pangea
    - I don't think that's the reason. DD technology is ubiquitous for most of the Vertec cone transducers.
    - JBL has already re-engineered the Vertec HF drivers ( 2435H & 2431H ) for HiFi use / and prominently incorporated them within the K2 series and other Japanese HiFi products. These drivers in the SR world are pretty bland to just look at / yet JBL took the raw product / added nice backcaps and aquaplased its' diaphragm and prominently displays them in product broshures of all sorts.
    - No, something else is at work here that's preventing the DD woofers inclusion within JBLs' top HiFi products / and I'm not suggesting it's because the technology is second rate. Far from it. I believe the exclusion is because of something else.
    - Maybe someone here should aquaplas a 2265H and give it an aftermarket foamed surround / and then see what gives.

( okay, I seem to have to much idle time on my hands )
    I'm not that familiar with Vertec drivers, are the ones you mention, similar to the W15GTI?

I've had a few friends over to listen to the new sub and they all share my enthusiasm completely.

BR
    Roland

Quote Originally Posted by pangea
    I'm using it in addition to the 2235's. I let it blend in from 16Hz to 130Hz. It sits in a very rugged 122L vented box, placed next to one of my 2235's.

The result is so VERY outstanding, that I would be very surprised if anyone had something bad to say about it after having listened to it.
    Okay, thanks Roland for the clarificaton.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland
    I'm not that familiar with Vertec drivers, are the ones you mention, similar to the W15GTI?
    - Same DD technology but they're designed so that the TS numbers are more inline with previous generations ( of JBLs' SR drivers ).

I've had a few friends over to listen to the new sub and they all share my enthusiasm completely.
    - The almost universal attraction of listeners to the sound quality of the 2212/2213 type woofer is worthy of an exhaustive university paper .

pangea
    - Same DD technology but they're designed so that the TS numbers are more inline with previous generations ( of JBLs' SR drivers ).

- The almost universal attraction of listeners to the sound quality of the 2212/2213 type woofer is worthy of an exhaustive university paper .

Is it to make them interchangeable or are their other benefits there?

I sometimes hear people complain over the typical JBL "sound", but after having listened to my stuff and after having explained to them that there is a difference in what some call the "sound" and what I call bass capability, then the critique usually quietens down rapidly.

BR
    Roland

Is it to make them interchangeable or are their other benefits there?
    - Yes, IMO, JBL "perfected" their recipe for success in the SR market / sometime back in the 1980(s) .
    - They've been re-engineering their products since then ( for greater power handling & excursion ) / but they're doing their best to maintain the established sound of their Legacy products ( though I feel they've substantially improved the sound of their compression drivers through the creation of those 2431H & 2435H drivers ) .

Hallå Roland.

I have to visit you again Roland, i would like to hear this GTI.

regards mats

Thread Information