Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JBL 4430 - What Damage ?????

Hello Scott.I did the swaps as suggested and the speaker is alive with the good woofer, so I do not think it hurt the network as it sounds fine.Living in beautiful Cape Breton has it's drawbacks, ( I live about 30 km (20 miles) from Baddeck) I had to ship my amplifier 500 km(312 miles) to a high end audio shop in Halifax for them to repair ( well not yet - ha ha)They are going to fix it when I return it later in the week.Now as for a JBL outlet.... Soundcraft Canada is in Montreal Quebec 1200 km (750 miles) they are the JBL
    representatives in Canada.
    However I had my Infinity Kappa 9's reconed in Halifax and they did a great job so I could send the woofer there.Today is a holiday in Canada so i'll be on the phone in the morning ordering a recone kit..Will let you know how I do and if there is a problem acquiring a kit I'll post for help......
    Thanks Everyone for the assissitance,Harry

OK, since you know for sure the xover network is good, all you need to do is have the 2235 reconed.

Once you get it back, everything should be fine!
    scottyj

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry
    ...high end audio shop in Halifax for them to repair ( well not yet - ha ha)They are going to fix it when I return it later in the week.
    I hope you're going to try getting them to help pay for reconing the 2235. After all, it was just fine until the amp they "repaired" blew it up.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    I hope you're going to try getting them to help pay for reconing the 2235. After all, it was just fine until the amp they "repaired" blew it up.

John
    Getting them to admit they screwed up? Its worth a try though.
    scottyj

Hello Guys,may have gotten LUCKY and it is just the lead that was fried.Did a test with the JBL TECH (good amp - bad woofer,played music and pushed the woofer in and out and there is life in there will know for sure Saturday when the driver is on his bench.

ya mean the Lead is fried, and that eensy teensy wire in the VC didn't Smmmoooke ???

Hello,just to update my problem my 2235H is reconed and will soon be back in the box.The amp on the other hand should soon be fixed,it turns out that the repair shop did not cause the speaker damage it was the amp itself.Adcom 565 amps develope a DC offset problem that will burn out a speaker or lead to a major failure of the output transistors.The electrolytic caps leak and cause corrosion.So anyhow thanks again for all the help...Cheers Harry

Do you not find it strange that all these fatal problems with your amp showed up the first time you fired it up upon returning home with it from the repair shop?

Can I also assume that the same shop that did the repair work on the amp the first time around is giving you this latest story.

You can't trust em.

Have been on the planet over half a century and have run into this all through my life.Guys offer to repair stuff,realize they are in over their heads.Try anything to get it out of the shop and when it takes off like a skyrocket with a line cord they blame everything from you actually hooking it up, to"your line voltage is 120 vac? the amp is only rated for 117vac! See ....right here on the back!!This cynical attitude goes back to 1964 when an uncle gave me a nice Madison Fielding Tuner an Eico HF-85 and a home built stereo amp. I hooked every voice coil within twenty miles to it,all at the same time!! And had hours of fun with the set.One day what i have now deduced was a 6L6G failure led to some smoked resistors.I brought it to a schoolmates dad to repair(local TV guy).I couldn't go back to my Uncle Nick as that would be a lecture and a half! I started to do odd kid jobs to get the money.After about two weeks I had the 34.50 he wanted.I got it home and it stunk up the house.Still broken.The Uncle had it fixed in ten minutes.And yes the lecture was severe and ohms law was my assignment which i am expert at in every way to sunday!!The point is,Before you plunk down your dinnero,Tell them you want to see it work.If I had done the repair,The satified customer look makes it all worth while and for the next hour or so you feel like Grant did after taking Richmond!!

Thread Information