Thread: Big fun in the backyard

Big fun in the backyard

My friend Rich and I moved the field coil compression driver system we have been developing into my back yard this afternoon. Things always seem to sound better outdoors, and we have been intending to do this for awhile now. The yard is about 50' by 55'. We placed the speakers about 15' apart, their backs about 8' from the house, toed in to make an equilateral triangle with a center listening chair out in the yard.

Holy cow does being outdoors make a difference! We listened to CDs for a couple hours this evening. It was a simple setup- cheapo CD player, modified D/IO D to A converter, tiny Sonic Impact amp. The mid horns are large round Azura horns with LeCleach flare, driven by our prototype compression drivers based on the old RCA MI-1428B of the 1930s. The bass horns are 50Hz. exponentials with 4" diameter throats, 7" in length, driven by our prototype bass compression drivers- basically a scaled up version of our mid driver.

The sound really gave us the giggles. Most suprising was the bass, which seemed much stronger, smoother and more extended than in my living room. I had expected the bass to thin out, since it was radiating effectively into half space near the horn cutoff, but that didn't happen. Overall the sound had great clarity and smoothness, and seemed effortless and big at all listening levels. Rooms have just got to go!

We're going to listen for a few hours tomorrow (Saturday), from mid afternoon until 9 or 10PM. We plan to drag out the good stuff, LPs and SE 300B amps. If any of you So. Cal. LH guys would like to drop by my place in Long Beach for a listen and some speaker chit chat, please drop me a line at [email protected].

Aloha Steve

I'll be outside most of the day tomorrow...
    I'll be keeping an ear open for hearing and experiencing your speakers over here.
    Congrats on their great sound and power.

Steve

RIP 2009
    Pics!!!

John

Thread Information