Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Flattest response between 2000hz - 20 000hz

Hi Widget... Need Your Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't mess around with the Martin Audio mids myself, but if you want to, go ahead... they may be exactly what you are looking for.

If you are going to go to the expense of using a pair of TAD 2002s, I'd use them with a horn that supports them down to at least 500Hz and I would cross them over around 1KHz... as for using them as tweeters, I think they may be fine, but certainly not world class above 10KHz.

Widget
    HI Widget,
    Thanks. I've checked the forum and remembered you had made TAD and Westlake horn for 4001 use. Are these still available?
    Also is there any wood horn there for TAD 4001 that can let me crossover it at 350Hz (which is the actual KHorn crossover freq even they advertised for 400Hz)?
    Can TAD 4001 go such low?
    If it is OK, I can use my existing TAD ET-703 the very excellent tweeter (that i used for many years which replaced Khorn's K-77) to crossover at about 14 Khz with TAD 4001.

The Et-703 is a world class tweeter... since you are familiar with it I doubt that using the 2002 or almost any other tweeter would be completely satisfying. (the JBL bat slayer is another example of an outstanding tweeter) I cross my ET-703s over at 8KHz with my TD-4003s. The TD-4001s and TD-4003s both go out to >18KHz, but at the higher frequencies you are listening to the distortion products of the diaphragm's mass break point... I don't like hearing it.

As for the 4001... the TADs are really nice, but not below 550-600Hz. I know some people have used them in their Klipschorns, I'd be afraid of destroying them and would assume the extra distortion from pushing them that low might also be an issue.

Why not try one of the large format JBLs with a phenolic diaphragm? There are several to choose from, I'd look for a pair of 2482s. None of the horns that I have made have ever been usable in the 400Hz region. I have no horn recommendations.

Widget

Thanks Widget! Another Question & This forum is wonderful!!

The Et-703 is a world class tweeter... since you are familiar with it I doubt that using the 2002 or almost any other tweeter would be completely satisfying. (the JBL bat slayer is another example of an outstanding tweeter) I cross my ET-703s over at 8KHz with my TD-4003s. The TD-4001s and TD-4003s both go out to >18KHz, but at the higher frequencies you are listening to the distortion products of the diaphragm's mass break point... I don't like hearing it.

As for the 4001... the TADs are really nice, but not below 550-600Hz. I know some people have used them in their Klipschorns, I'd be afraid of destroying them and would assume the extra distortion from pushing them that low might also be an issue.

Why not try one of the large format JBLs with a phenolic diaphragm? There are several to choose from, I'd look for a pair of 2482s. None of the horns that I have made have ever been usable in the 400Hz region. I have no horn recommendations.

Widget
    Hi Widget:
    Thank you so much! This forum with your professionalism is wonderful!!
    Few more questions:
    1. Any recommendation on JBL horn with 2482?
    2. In your opinion, is TAD 4003 better than 4001? And which horn you use for 4003?
    3. I'm very very very interested in Meyer Sound X-10 and found you have comments on this thread: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ead.php?t=3424 Could you please check it out and let me know if you still remember the sound of Meyer X-10?
    How does X-10 compare with TAD 4003 / ET-703 combination? At normal and small SPL?

Best regards

Quote Originally Posted by jlee View Post
    1. Any recommendation on JBL horn with 2482?
    Sorry... I really can't think of a horn I have heard that covers this range that is something I'd pursue.

2. In your opinion, is TAD 4003 better than 4001? And which horn you use for 4003?
    Yes, I do like the TD-4003 better than the TD-4001. The 4003 has just a bit more of the detail and tactile quality that I find so compelling in the 4001.

I use custom cast resin versions of TAD's TH-4003 horn that was designed specifically for the TD-4003 driver. The combination is really quite remarkable in it's neutrality and non-horn like behavior. It is also absolutely crazy expensive.

3. I'm very very very interested in Meyer Sound X-10 and found you have comments on this thread: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ead.php?t=3424 Could you please check it out and let me know if you still remember the sound of Meyer X-10?
    How does X-10 compare with TAD 4003 / ET-703 combination? At normal and small SPL?
    It has been so long since I heard the X-10, that I really can't comment. It was a remarkable two-way as is the JBL Everest DD66000... I think I'd lean toward the JBL.

Widget

Sorry... I really can't think of a horn I have heard that covers this range that is something I'd pursue.

Yes, I do like the TD-4003 better than the TD-4001. The 4003 has just a bit more of the detail and tactile quality that I find so compelling in the 4001.

I use custom cast resin versions of TAD's TH-4003 horn that was designed specifically for the TD-4003 driver. The combination is really quite remarkable in it's neutrality and non-horn like behavior. It is also absolutely crazy expensive.

It has been so long since I heard the X-10, that I really can't comment. It was a remarkable two-way as is the JBL Everest DD66000... I think I'd lean toward the JBL.

Widget
    Hi Widget,

Thanks. I may end up with Meyer X-10 (cheaper than JBL DD66000) in the long run.
    One more question for X-10: It only use one 4 inch driver to go up to 20 khz. Can X-10 high freq compete with ET-703? (I guess not..... However, any distingushable timber or details in music?)

Within these few years, a good choice is to build TAD 4003 (or 4001) with corresponding horn TH-4003 (or TH-4001).
    Therefore, can you please send me the horn drawing if convenient? Or can you build the horn for me?

One more question: Can TAD 4003 goes down to around 500 Hz? If it can, Do you have horn drawing to go with it? then I can use it with horn loaded bass bin of my Klipsch La Scala and that will be wonderful....

One more question for X-10: It only use one 4 inch driver to go up to 20 khz. Can X-10 high freq compete with ET-703? (I guess not..... However, any distingushable timber or details in music?)
    The Everest also uses a 4" diaphragmed compression driver all the way up, but it is a newer design and does sound quite good even with the tweeter removed... I checked.

One more question: Can TAD 4003 goes down to around 500 Hz? If it can, Do you have horn drawing to go with it? then I can use it with horn loaded bass bin of my Klipsch La Scala and that will be wonderful....
    It can be pushed and go down to 500Hz... I would not recommend it in that application though.

Widget

Niklas Nord
    Hello !

I´ll take this interesting thread up ! is there any new interesting drivers out there?

I have recently received some newer examples of the TD4003 drivers and they seem to have a slightly more extended top end.
    Digging out an older post/thread, (I love old posts and threads, there's more in those than what has not yet been written in those to come)

Mr Widget: would you still stand to this impression nowadays, which would mean that something in the construction process of the driver has evolved? I have regulalrly similar impressions (not with TAD though) when I use a new driver or new diaphragms in a used driver.
    After a while the sound is not as sparkling as in the first few days of use, maybe a consequence of the inevitable burning in process. If I'm not mistaken, the top end emanates from the periphery of the diaphs which is also a very sollicitated part due to the suspension effort. Especially the larger diaphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Elac310 View Post
    Mr Widget: would you still stand to this impression nowadays...
    I can't really answer as I haven't compared my 7+ year old drivers to new ones.

My impression at the time was that slight manufacturing changes had been made and that was the reason for the difference, but I suppose it is possible that the drivers "wear in"... though I feel our subjective impression of speakers varies more than any objective change from "break in" justifies.

Widget

Thread Information