Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Flattest response between 2000hz - 20 000hz

Niklas Nord
    Beamy, is like a sweetspot? Concentrated or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Niklas Nord
    Beamy, is like a sweetspot? Concentrated or something?
    yes, the more "beamy" it is the more focused or concentrated it is. compare a laser to a regular light. The laser is more "beamy" because the light takes a more focused path as a regular light will disperse or widen.

Look at the polar response in the previous post, that says it all.

as the freq. increases or goes higher there is more of a chance it will "beam" more and not spread out across the room. That's what horns try to do is to spread out the high freq.'s

Niklas Nord
    OK, so if itīs beamy itīs more concentrated in the dispersion and therefore more db in that point on that frequency. Can this make a harsh sound?

I use my 2344's for stereo and have a Urei 811 center. In comparison the Urie horn is perfect for me because it covers my couch and prime listen position for Multichannel music with a tight and controlled radiation pattern. It has a very sharply defined sweet spot. You need to be on axis with this horn and if you are lucky you might get 2 people in it for stereo. I find that horn to be more focused than the mains because there are less reflections and a higher percentage of direct sound from it. It's not harsh just different because of the mix of direct vs. reflected sound.

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...ead.php?t=4408

Rob

I dont want a sweetspot, it should be no sweetspot.
    Iīm not alone when I watch a movie or listen to music.
    If you want this, I think there is only one horn and it does this very well: JBL 2344A

Low distorsion, uncollored, flat response
    And I haven't got any reason to doubt the qualities of the 2344A in this area. In fact, I love them!

You have to equalize it though and I agree with Rob that passive equalization is the best with these horns. The active EQ in the active M552 and M553 crossovers does not sound good at all.

greetings, Frank

Quote Originally Posted by frank23
    If you want this, I think there is only one horn and it does this very well: JBL 2344A
    Well, there's also the smaller 2342 Biradial, and the Progressive Transition waveguide family, as well, from which you can pick your pattern. JBL makes a 1" throat adapter for them, too.

Here's the data Mr. Widget compiled on the OASR horn. It's got an 85° conical dispersion. Scroll up to post #84 for more info about them:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...OASR#post42999

For $38, I'd be trying that one. It LOOKS like Tractrix, too....

For comparison, see HF polar plots here:

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/S...er/sp212-a.pdf

OK, so if itīs beamy itīs more concentrated in the dispersion and therefore more db in that point on that frequency. Can this make a harsh sound?
    It's the same dB, basically, but, in sum, as you move off axis, you progressively lose the higher frequencies. Study the polar plots and you'll see what's happening there.

That's what constant directivity is mostly all about: maintaining constant response at all frequencies throughout the specified dispersion field.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Well, there's also the smaller 2342 Biradial, and the Progressive Transition waveguide family, as well, from which you can pick your pattern. JBL makes a 1" throat adapter for them, too.
    hmmm, these progressive transition things seem nice, especially the constant beamwidth.

I searched the forum for the 100x100 square rotateable horn, the pt-h1010hf, but all I found was that it was hard to get. I'd love to try it in comparison to the 2344.

Does anyone have any more info?

greetings, Frank

It's a myth.

Not the waveguides, rather, their being hard to get. I've not had difficulty. PM me if you can't get them in Europe.

You'll need the throat adapter, too, unless you have 1.5" drivers to play them.

Be aware that it requires different compensation than 2344, i.e., different crossover than 4430.

[BUT, we know how to do that, too. It's just extra work to really compare them....]

Niklas ,

- Here's what can be done with these OASR, "Dr. Seuss Horns" ( & once again, thanks to Woody Banks for this great "descriptive" )

- The first 3 pics are from Woody Banks' HT system ( with exclusive use of these OASR horns . The full thread is located here.

- The fourth pic is from an HT project that was executed by sebackman . The full thread is located here.

- These examples are from two projects that feature the OASR horn .

Attached Images Attached Images     

Niklas Nord
    Is there any measurements on this horn? What horn drivers can we use for it?
    it looks like tractrixshape

Is there any measurements on this horn?
    - Yes there are .
    - Follow the links that Zilch had posted above to see the measurements . ( Up in Post 51 ).

It looks like tractrix shape
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    It LOOKS like Tractrix, too....
    Don't MAKE us cranky, now....

Niklas Nord
    hehe
    Looks nice

Howīs the imaging? Do you think there is better imaging on horn wich have sweetspot than horns that have no sweetspot?

"Howīs the imaging? Do you think there is better imaging on horn wich have sweetspot than horns that have no sweetspot?"

It's a preference call. A 2344 images different than a tractrix or the 2307/2308 combo. It's not a simple call as the room is going to effect it as well. A horn that does well in my room may not in yours because of placement issues. Tractrix is a smaller area than say a CD horn with flatter power response. The imaging covers a larger area because there is less beaming with a CD horn. You need a special horn to give you what you are looking for "No sweet spot" or actually the "largest sweet spot" You need a defined coverage horn like Everest or 2600/3100.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...85-everest.htm

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...-s3100mkii.htm

Rob

Thread Information