Thread: Thiel Speaker Surrounds?

Thiel Speaker Surrounds?

Wondering if anyone knows where I can get foam surrounds for a pair of Thiel 04a's? I've tried 6" and 6 1/2" none will fit the cone, the cone measures 4 1/4" and the outside basket measures 6 1/2". I contacted thiel and they want 30$ a surround

$60 to restore a pair of speakers that were ~$750/pr some 25 years ago doesn't
    seem like a bad deal, vs. throwing them away. At least they have the surrounds
    available. That said, I can understand the initial reaction for a pair of foam circles

Quote Originally Posted by Cooljjay View Post
    Wondering if anyone knows where I can get foam surrounds for a pair of Thiel 04a's? I've tried 6" and 6 1/2" none will fit the cone, the cone measures 4 1/4" and the outside basket measures 6 1/2". I contacted thiel and they want 30$ a surround
    the ones I sell are 4 3/8 across the cone and 6 1/8 across the basket ..seems pretty close

PM me if interested ...$10 + shipping
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    $60 to restore a pair of speakers that were ~$750/pr some 25 years ago doesn't
    seem like a bad deal, vs. throwing them away. At least they have the surrounds
    available. That said, I can understand the initial reaction for a pair of foam circles
    This is what I was thinking. Really thats not much money seeing that I paid 700$ to have a pair of lowther drivers restored..and ended up selling them for 675$. My problem with these speakers is I paid way to much for them 180$ because they had rosewood veneer and original boxes. After I got them home, I see that there is some slight veneer issues and then the big problem that one is a 03a and the other an 04a even though both boxes says 04a. So Looking at a resell value stand point..I hate to trade dollars...but then on the other shoulder I say I can't sell them as the are.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    the ones I sell are 4 3/8 across the cone and 6 1/8 across the basket ..seems pretty close

PM me if interested ...$10 + shipping
    Thanks, I am checking out the 6" ones that I just bought. The opening of the surround is 4in and the cone is 4 1/4in so I should have a lip of a 1/4 for gluing but I just can't get them positioned correctly on the cone.

Thread Information