Thread: Is Urei 815C an upgrade on my 4333?

Is Urei 815C an upgrade on my 4333?

Does anyone have any experience of Urei 815C's and will they noticably better than my 4333a's?. Use will be home HiFi, mainly Cassical but a bit of Jazz & Rock too.

Also am I correct in thinking the C versions were manufactured by JBL and use JBL drivers.

My experience, Ureis are highly regarded by some but have a sound that i don't like in relation to JBLs. Lots of mid-range, with a clangorous quality i don't find pleasant. Just my opinion.

Well I have an 811C clone I use as a center and you are correct that this is the version with JBL drivers. The 801C is an E-145 with a 2425S mounted through the pole piece to the horn. They are the only version to use JBL drivers through out and were the last version produced. There is a techsheet that helps with monitor selection here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ead.php?t=4408

I like the 811C quite a bit. It integrates well with my mains and has really good clarity especially vocals so it does a bang-up job as a center or on multichannel music where most vocal are either hard center or shared all three fronts. The horn is very directional especially in the vertical axis so you really need to be on axis with the 801C when you place them. Those are big boys!!

Have Fun

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have never heard the 815C's, but I would be surprised if they didn't outperform 4333a's. Yes, this is an all JBL driver system consisting of two 2215H bass drivers (LE15H's) and the same 801C coax that Rob describes. The cross-overs are comprehensively equalized and time aligned so that they should provide a flatter response and more accurate imaging than the 4333a. The plethora of 15" drivers in that box (3 on each side) means that the system should have significantly higher output and dynamics compared to the 4333 if that is what you are looking for.

To Analogbass, I'm curious as to which versions of the UREI's you have listened to. I've been told by the designer that the A, B, and C versions sound quite distinctly different.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Just looking things over but the one place you may notice a difference is in the last octave. The 2405 adds a bit more detail and clarity up top than either the Urei horn or a 2344 type system. You are really pushin a 1" driver to get response out beyond 15k. The 2405 was designed to operate there and does a better job and takes you out to 20k. Other than that?? You tell us!!!!

Rob

Thanks for all the advice and info. I've seen a pair that I will probably put a bid on that are only about 15 miles from me (see link below)
    The only concern is the weight!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

All I can say is get them no matter what the cost

You know you want them

Maybe slightly off topic but:

Isn't the bass driver in the 809 a modified 2214H?
    The foams do fit perfect to both and the cone looks very similar!

Sorry for hijacking the thread but this always interested me.

you simply MUST buy them .....

even if it means parting with your Wife, or selling a small Child ......

you'll never see these for sale again, not to mention so close ....

815C

Those look great. I think the older models used stamped frame peice of junk for the subs. The 2215H is MUCH NICER. The bass must be fantastic. I hope you get them. Older models used an Altec 604 instead of the JBL co-axial. If it were me, I would much rather have the C model compared to an A or B.

8 ohms all the way...

you might want to refer to the tech sheet for the urei's. All the models are designed to be nominal 8 ohm cabinets so the dual driver types use 16 ohn 2215J cones. The rated impedence of the "triple" or "dual" cone models is still 8 since the LF helper cuts in near the impedence peak.

The earlier versions ( A,B ) used emminence woofers for the additional subs and hybrid ev/altec/emminence active woofers along with a variety of HF drivers. No two generations sounded the same.

The 809 woofer *is* the 2214H - the kit is special due to the unique dustcap + other details ( C8R809C ). Makes for a killer small space 4425...

sub

Thread Information