Thread: Altec 802-D 16 ohms to 8 ohms

Altec 802-D 16 ohms to 8 ohms

Hi,
    I have the oportunity to get a pair of Altec 802 D drivers + horn but the 16 Ohms model. On the other hand I will buy a pair of JBL2226H 8 Ohms woofers to build a speaker system.
    My answer is, can I modify the Altec 802D impedance to match the 8 Ohms JBL speakers? If yes, this mod can degrade the sound, in others words is a better idea to wait to get the 8 Ohms version? (is very hard to find a good pair of this great HI F drivers and this is the first that I can get here)
    Thank you in advance,
    Beto

Quote Originally Posted by beto
    Hi,
    I have the oportunity to get a pair of Altec 802 D drivers + horn but the 16 Ohms model. On the other hand I will buy a pair of JBL2226H 8 Ohms woofers to build a speaker system.
    My answer is, can I modify the Altec 802D impedance to match the 8 Ohms JBL speakers? If yes, this mod can degrade the sound, in others words is a better idea to wait to get the 8 Ohms version? (is very hard to find a good pair of this great HI F drivers and this is the first that I can get here)
    Thank you in advance,
    Beto
    You don't need to change the HF driver to 16 ohms. Your crossover network should be designed for a 16 ohm HF driver, and it's a closer match to the sensitivity of the 2226H. Many JBL and Altec systems used a 16 ohm HF driver with an 8 ohm LF driver.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

16 and 8 ohms working together with an 8 Ohms SET amp

Thanks edgewound,
    actually, I have to match this new speaker system to 8 Ohms because this is the amp impedance (Audio Note Kit 1, 300B SET). So, all I have to do is modify the network, to get the 16 Ohms Altec and the 8 Ohms JBL working together with an 8 OHms SET amp. Is that posible without detail, soundtage and dynamics loss?
    Thank you again.
    Regards,
    beto

Tom Loizeaux
    Usually the HF driver is much more efficient then the cone speakers. This usually means putting an L pad or resistor on the HF driver. If you put a 16 ohm, 20 watt resistor in parallel with the 16 ohm 802 compression driver, you'll have an 8 ohm HF unit. Then your crossover or cap value can be computed as if it were an 8 ohm unit. You'll "waste" some power, but that usually isn't a factor. The response of the 802 should not be affected by this paralled resistor.

Tom

I replied to your question on the "ART" forum!

Repeated info for your benefit:

Since you are using a Pi crossover design set up for 8 ohms with a 16 ohm compression driver, you can just use the 15 ohm parallel shunt off the crossover, then a 30 ohm series resistor from there to the 802 paralleled with a .47 ufd cap (HF compensation).

I have done this in the past and be cause of the 15 and 30 ohm resistor loading on the crossover the 16 ohm 802 will slide right in.

I have also used the 16 ohm 2226J and changed the coil from .7 mh to 1.4(or in my case decided on 2 mh for a better blend to the HF section).

I hope this helps you out, I noticed you have posted this question on various forums!

Ron

Thank you very much spkrman57!
    Regards,
    Beto

Thread Information