Thread: JBL subs

JBL subs

I would like to get a couple of JBL subs.

Better to get older versions, or will the current ones still give me a sound that i like, as an 80s JBL owner..?

Thanks!

Wooofers!

What size of space do you have and do you want small or large?
    As far as the newer ones I have only heard the LSR sub none of the retail ones.

Avoid the PSW series and the PB series. Unreliable amps.

We don't know what sound you like, actually, but here's the 80's deal:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/.../1983-subs.htm

See B380 near the end of the article.

Also, slightly smaller, the Citation 7.4 design uses LE14. Search the forum for details.

Current standard is 4645C, though the 2242H 18" drivers are expensive. Details on making those are on the forum also.

No commercial sub comes close to any of these, except the newest very high end ones which are "assisted" by dedicated equalizing amplifiers.

If you want "Over the top," I provided details on construction of the 4688 Triple Chamber Bandpass dual 18" sub in another thread....

Ahhh 2242's

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch

Current standard is 4645C, though the 2242H 18" drivers are expensive. Details on making those are on the forum also.

No commercial sub comes close to any of these, except the newest very high end ones which are "assisted" by dedicated equalizing amplifiers.

If you want "Over the top," I provided details on construction of the 4688 Triple Chamber Bandpass dual 18" sub in another thread....
    OH YEA BABY

psw 1000

I currently run 2 psw1000's with my 4311's and they work fine for my listening area.Had'em for years allready never have had a problem. There doesn't seem to be alot of info here on these' anybody got any opinions? Warren

Cool consumer subs

Quote Originally Posted by Don C
    Avoid the PSW series and the PB series. Unreliable amps.
    This is generally correct, though I know a few folks who've had them forever with no problems. I'd avoid them, unless they came from someone trusted, OR if I didn't mind the prospect of pulling out a dead amp and putting in a new one.

-------------------

Of the current crop of consumer subs, I'd rank them like this (from low to high):

Northridge E150--not worth getting unless you have a tiny room

Northridge E250--okay sub for the money; competes well at its price point

Studio Series S120PII--very nice, strong 12" with ample power and BassQ (but has anyone actually seen a BassQ unit?)

Studio L Series L8400P--by specs only it looks like a step up, but I haven't heard one yet

HT Series HTPS400 (now also part of the revised Performance Series)--one of the most underrated of JBL's consumer subs, this THX certified, 12" Aluminum cone, 1000W beast can put out some sound. It's a great complement to the old SVA Series, BTW, and is one of the few that can keep up with their dynamism and punch. This sub will kick your !

Performance Series PS1400--the great LE14H-3 in a unique enclosure, IMO more articulate, powerful, and capable than anything JBL Consumer put out prior to 2000, except possibly the B460 and one or two impossible to get items like the TiK sub or a standalone Synthesis sub.

Array Series 1500 Array BG--again from specs only since it's not in the channel yet, but this thing looks to be Thor's Hammer in JBL's consumer sub line.

I like turnkey stuff that works. That's what consumer gear is all about.

Ready:
    Out.

2pair

Me Too....!

I was thinking of getting , more likely building a sub myself....to go with 4408, or L20t. But I was thinking passive since I have extra amps around. A simple front fire sealed or ported...? Now at the risk of horning in on on someone elses thread, If I were to buy 1 woofer new which would it be? Is there one that can be run full range effectivly so I wont need an external crossover? Or would a simple filter work?

I know these must be simpleton questions,and I do read the back issues, but a yr ago I didnt know the difference between a dome and a cone...(aquaplas/Lansaloy...S.V.G? ) I do know I hadn't heard anything like JBL before my L75's, now I need more.. I'm on the verge of my forth pair of JBL's.

Thanks
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 2pair
    If I were to buy 1 woofer new which would it be? Is there one that can be run full range effectivly so I wont need an external crossover? Or would a simple filter work?
    Dave
    If your receiver or pre/pro has a "subwoofer out" then that will suffice as a crossover for your sub. Many "sub out" receivers and pre/pros also allow crossover adjustment say for 60, 80, 100, 120, or 150 HZ. Some even allow parametric equalization.

If you run a full range signal into a sub, you'll regret it on many levels, though you're not likely to destroy the sub completely unless you really crank it.
    Out.

I have a pair of 4645Cs and they are still in the factory enclosures. I found them for $600 each and the raw drivers weren't far off from that figure.

I had planned to veneer the boxes with oak plywood to match the rest of my system. They sit under a projection screen so I have gotten used to the industrial black as they disappear down there. Oak would just call attention to the HUGE BOXES.

I have used some B380 clones for years (since that article first came out), But my system really needed some help for them to keep up. Now I run both sets. Too much is just right.

What ever you do, get TWO.

Good luck on your quest.

Don M
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    We don't know what sound you like, actually, but here's the 80's deal:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/.../1983-subs.htm

See B380 near the end of the article.

Also, slightly smaller, the Citation 7.4 design uses LE14. Search the forum for details.

I have a pair of JBL AS1028's (dual 2242H's) that I can let go at a reasonable price if you're interested.

Thanks all, for the helpful info..

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    This is generally correct, though I know a few folks who've had them forever with no problems. I'd avoid them, unless they came from someone trusted, OR if I didn't mind the prospect of pulling out a dead amp and putting in a new one.

I like turnkey stuff that works. That's what consumer gear is all about.

Ready:

Sorry for bringing up a dead thread..... but

I came across a SPW subwoofer; 15" active unsure of the model number right now....

****found it PSW D115 PSWD115
    http://www.amazon.com/JBL-PSW-D115-3.../dp/B000031KAR

Appears that the amp is bad. With a little use, it begins to make "pop" type noises....

Is a amp replacement the solution, just swap it out with a PE unit of simmilar value? Or is it worthwile to fix the amp?
    Last edited by louped garouv; 02-21-2007 at 09:14 AM. Reason: found model #

There are amps that you can swap in, knowing that some cabinet modification may be in order. I'm not aware of any direct fit model.

You can also troubleshoot the original amp if you have the time, equipment, and expertise. Unfortunately, these amps can have a chain of failure, so you fix one part and soon another goes out. OTOH, sometimes you can fix one thing, and it works forever.

More reviews than you'll ever need from people who love it or hate it:

http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_119783_2741crx.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by 2pair View Post
    I was thinking of getting , more likely building a sub myself....to go with 4408, or L20t. But I was thinking passive since I have extra amps around. A simple front fire sealed or ported...? Now at the risk of horning in on on someone elses thread, If I were to buy 1 woofer new which would it be? Is there one that can be run full range effectivly so I wont need an external crossover? Or would a simple filter work?

I know these must be simpleton questions,and I do read the back issues, but a yr ago I didnt know the difference between a dome and a cone...(aquaplas/Lansaloy...S.V.G? ) I do know I hadn't heard anything like JBL before my L75's, now I need more.. I'm on the verge of my forth pair of JBL's.

Thanks
    Dave
    Bring power..., lots of it!

http://www.jbl.com/car/products/prod...at=SUB&ser=GTI

Thread Information