Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JBL L40 crossover schematic...

Ah, OK, that's right... the L40T3 is only a 2-way, but with the 8" woofer.

Go figure, they're using the same basic model number for not TWO, but THREE different driver combinations over the years!

Regards,
    Gordon.

L40t3 vs L80t3 crossover dilemma

I am in the process of obtaining a pair of L40t3's and looked at the crossover for the L40t3 and looked at the crossover for the L80t3 and found the crossover similiar except for the coils.

L80t3 has 4 ufd cap and 2 mh coil

L40t3 has 4 ufd cap and .5 mh coil

(bypass caps .01 ufd are not mentioned as they have no part in my question)

Other than different attenuation resistors is the different coil in the crossover responsible for the crossover frequencies being so different from each other?

L40t3 is 2.5khz
    L80t3 is 4.5khz

Can I have some comments/recommendations, I plan on using the 035Tia and LE14H-1 along with 5" mid for 3-way system similiar to the 240Ti!

Ron

Hi Ron,

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57
    Can I have some comments/recommendations, I plan on using the 035Tia and LE14H-1 along with 5" mid for 3-way system similiar to the 240Ti!
    - Yes,,,
    If cobbling together a 3-way using the le14h-1, 104h-2 & 035ti compontents , I would blend together the NL240Ti & NL80t3 networks. This would be my starting point before real-world tweeking. ( The NL240Ti would contribute its' woofer section of the blended network / with the NL80t3 providing the midrange & tweeter sections. )

I am in the process of obtaining a pair of L40t3's and looked at the crossover for the L40t3 and looked at the crossover for the L80t3 and found the crossover similiar except for the coils.

L80t3 has 4 ufd cap and 2 mh coil

L40t3 has 4 ufd cap and .5 mh coil

(bypass caps .01 ufd are not mentioned as they have no part in my question)
    - Okay but I think you are quoting the wrong mH values for the coils found in the networks' tweeter section .

Other than different attenuation resistors is the different coil in the crossover responsible for the crossover frequencies being so different from each other?
    FWIW;
    - I read the tweeter coil ( in the NL80t3 ) as a .2 mH value / not 2 mH . A .2mH value makes electrical sense.
    - These tweeter coil values ( .5mH & .2mH ) combined with the different fixed pad values will net the different crossover points that you mention ( as compared between the L40t3 & the L80t3 ).

PS ; I would also include that nifty 3 position "pad" switches ( along with the extra resistors ) that are found in the 240Ti. I would also DC bias all the series caps in the networks .

EDIT It occurs to me that my comments to your query may be better placed over in the new "DIY" forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Moderators take for action!

Yes Earl, That would make sense, I just happened to be looking for the L40t3 crossover an posted without thinking.

My bad, can someone move my posts to the proper location?

Thanks, Ron

Hi all,

I got a pair of LE14A 16Ohms and Altec 808A+811 horn.

Do you have any schematic of crossover for LE14A and LE175. Cuz LE175 and 808 could be the same config?

And about data sheet of LE14A, in brochure, we can't get any data such as Qts or Eff... Do you know somewhere we can get it?

Thanks,

A bit different than the original thread about an L40, Anyway

At the bottom of the forum is a Links catergory(http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/f...splay.php?f=60). In the consumer section there is a link to the tech sheet for the L101 that uses those drivers. In the professional section, the Thiele Small Parameters link has the LE14A listed. The Network Schematics link also has the LX10 used in the S1.

I hope this helps. I know very little about the DIY stuff. Others can probably give you better advice and perhaps some thoughts on a more modern network and the Altec driver.

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by artsound
    I got a pair of LE14A 16Ohms and Altec 808A+811 horn.
    - Those le14a(s) are most likely 8 ohm . Put a DMM ( Digital Multimeter ) on them and measure their DCR ( dc resistance ). Then let us know the reading .

Cuz LE175 and 808 could be the same config?
    - Choose a network that primarily complements your choosen horn/driver combo / then modify it to accomodate the change in woofers .
    - IME ,,, when using a full sized exponential/radial horn - one shouldn't use a network that was designed around a JBL compression driver working into 2301/5 type lense. For example; the LX10 has a 2-pole "bump filter" that gives boost ( gain ) in the 1500 hz region ( to compensate for the anemic midrange response of that DLH175 combo in that FR area . ) The 811/808 does not need boosting in this area / it needs some attenuation. Also , the LX10 lacks a low-pass network section for the woofer. Some may see this as a plus / maybe / but running the woofer flat-out presents another complication to smoothing the upper end response of the le14a .

And about data sheet of LE14A, in brochure, we can't get any data such as Qts or Eff... Do you know somewhere we can get it?
    - Phil has pointed the way to some stats.
    - To marry the Altec 811/808 combo with the JBL le14a means you're mating a horn device that's around 107 db efficient to a woofer that's approx. 92.5 db efficient . IMO, you need a network that includes fixed padding working with variable padding in the horn circuit ( the LX10 did have that going for it ) / along with a bit of HF compensation ( if you are running without a tweeter ) .
    - The closest "stock" network I can think of is the N1201 from the Altec Model 19 . I'd like to see this network modified somewhat / unfortunately / I don't have the time to take on that task . Maybe someone else will take an interest in this coupling .

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks Earl K and Phil,

You're givin me so much helpful information. I'll build LX10 first then N1201. But LX10 just cut in 1500Hz, and my point is 800Hz, means we need a bigger caps than 12uF in circuit??? Could be 20uF, how do you think? And inductor, air gap is better, I think. 0.9mH => Height: 0.34in; Radius: 0.68in; turn: 135; Wire Dia: 0.021in; Power: 75W.

About DCR of LE14A, I'll check again t'nite. Cuz those're a pair of little bit heavy enclosure.

You'll get the result soon.

You're rite Earl. DCR: 6.7 and 6.8 Ohms.

Thumbs down Search for JBL L40

Weird
    I searched for "L40" in the Forum Search engine and I get the following message:
    vBulletin Message

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

So then I do a Google search and it took me to this thread on this forum. I think my trust in the search engine on this forum has just evaporated (note - I did the search while logged into the forum - Doh!
    Any ideas as to what's up?
    JBL L100A (Late Model), Pioneer SA-8500II (as Pre-Amp), Carver M-200t, Pioneer TX-6500II, IPOD 80GB Classic

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones View Post
    Any ideas as to what's up?
    The forum search has been broken forever. I always use Google to find anything.

Thread Information