Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: An amazing set of horns

We did run rather tangentially... thanks for sharing these amazing speakers and cool gear with us!

Widget

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Morfeas
    No, it was a AN Ongaku clone. IMO and the owner's it was not up to the task of driving the horns. He is going to bi-amp with PP for the low and a SET for hi. He also holds a quiet impresive collection of tuners, receivers and of course vintage drivers.

Look at the baby below
    I dig the simplicity.
    Out.

What might the low end response curve look like? I'd love to get a 515 to do well in a small size like that.

Quote Originally Posted by P.Warner
    What might the low end response curve look like? I'd love to get a 515 to do well in a small size like that.
    You'll notice that the speakers are stuck back into corners... they really need the help. A small front firing horn of this scale will really drop off in response below 120Hz or so. With the help of the bass reflex ports and corner loading I'd say you might be getting usable response to 70Hz or so. For some people and some types of music that is fine. For me, I really do like response to 30Hz... even lower if I can get it. It's not that most of the music I listen to requires this performance, but when the music has VLF it really adds realism to the reproduction.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

LF

Those horns probably sound great in the the midbass through upper mids! I like the Altec woofers, but they dont get down really low, but the midbass they make is great!

My option for this setup would be to have a supreme quality subwoofer to mate with these horns.
    scottyj

I have a pair of 515-8g and I have been pondering how to get them to the last octave in a modest cabinet without active EQ and cannot seem to make it work with this FlexSys program I have been playing with, it always starts to taper off at 100 HZ or so. Anyone have any better ideas?
    I would prefer a tuned port conventional rather than a horn cabinet due to space considerations.
    Harry

Cool

One more detail.

The volume of the BR (excluding the horn) is 250lt. I do not know how low it would measure but to my ears the system was chalenging the room in the low end.

8.8 cubic feet, but that cabinet looks way to complicated for me to build. Maybe someone will post the dimensions for the 4685 and I can adapt that.

Quote Originally Posted by hmolwitz
    I have a pair of 515-8g and I have been pondering how to get them to the last octave in a modest cabinet without active EQ and cannot seem to make it work with this FlexSys program I have been playing with, it always starts to taper off at 100 HZ or so. Anyone have any better ideas?
    I would prefer a tuned port conventional rather than a horn cabinet due to space considerations.
    Harry
    Try a passive radiator enclosure. It's proabably the best compromise to get deep bass out of a small enclosure....and tuning it is relativley easy and flexible compared to a bass reflex enclosure. You can locate the PR on the rear of the enclosure.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

4685 TCB subwoof? That ain't "modest."

Thread Information