Thread: What to do with this pair of JBL L166 Horizon's sitting hehind me?

What to do with this pair of JBL L166 Horizon's sitting hehind me?

So, I'd like to say hello to all the regulars here. I'm not really so much of a complete audio-moron but rather a youngin' who never had to deal with vintage speaker repairs. I have a couple pairs of Accostic Research AR-48s that do sound fantastic, but when a pair of JBL L166's dropped into my lap... I took note. (As they are incredibly heavy.)

I don't know much of their history. I'm fairly sure they were in a basement for a number of years. Their owners not knowing of what they had down there.

The foam surrounds are brittle, and with no more presure then I type on this keyboard they crack and fall down onto the concrete floor of my room. Other then this, they seem like they are perfect. It would seem to me that the rest of the cone would be extremely brittle also if the foam was in such a state, but I don't think this is true. I think they would be fine with just a repair of the foam surround.

I, just a young music enthesiast, am asking, what appears to be a great deal of experts here....

What would you do in a situation like this? I don't have much money, but am willing to do (mostly) whatever it takes to make these woofers sound like new.

Hello JakeisuselessNice name there What you can do is just get a pair of foam surrounds for the 122A woofers and just refoam them. It will cost you about $30 if you do it and it's easy unless you are all thumbs. As long as your forum name is a joke your in spades. Do a search for refoam. There is a good thread authored by Bo that is a detailed with how too photo's. Best place to get them is Rick Cobb in Tampa you can find him on E-bay or his name will pop up in the search. He sells on Ebay. Don't be surprised if he asks you to measure the cone as there are 2 sizes so he will want to make sure you get the right kit. Read the attached thread it should get you started. L166's are very desirable speakers. You lucky you have a pair in good shape.

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...ghlight=Refoam

Rob

Thank you very much. Is there going to be a loss-of-quality at all with a refoam? If so, is there another option under $100 or so that is readily avalible?

Officialy refoams are not an acceptable method per JBL. The only correct way is to have them reconned which is not at all cheap and well above your $100 budget for single at $197 so over $400 with shipping. I and many others on the site have done refoams and for the most part they work fine as long as the spider is in good shape and the voice coil has not been overheated so it is warped. If all goes well they will work just fine. Frankly you don't have anything to loose as a refoam is the most cost effective alternative. If that doesn't work back to the shop for recones.

Rob

Thank you very much sir, and if I do say so. You JBL audiophiles seem to double the enthusiasm that the Accostic Research audiophiles have. I can't wait to see for myself. Though, I mush say... I don't know if I have really ever heard anything that compares with my mint AR-48s. The more I read the more excited I get for when I get to hear them.

I could not find this 'Rick Cobbs' fellow on E-bay but I found his e-mail using google.

-Jake

Welcome aboard and good luck with your refoam.

I must warn you however that there is no turning back now, these things are like crack in a box. You'll be hooked as soon as they power up.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

pelly3s
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeisuseless
    You JBL audiophiles
    there is that damn word again.... its starting to make me go insane

Hello Jake

Thanks and your welcome. His email is in the first post of the attached thread in case you missed the link in the other thread.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...=&threadid=469

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s
    there is that damn word again.... its starting to make me go insane
    I do apologize. If that is not the correct term, may I ask what is?

So, I'd just like to say that I have ordered my re-foam kit.

I also got to talk to the previous owners. They played soft 70s pop and never at high volumes. Woo hoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeisuseless
    I do apologize. If that is not the correct term, may I ask what is?
    I think everyone is still trying to figure that one out.

Damn. When I first hauled these out of my moms car. I pulled off that funny looking grill and saw the fucked up foam. My first thought was, "Damn, those weren't worth the trouble of taking them out of the car."

Now, I'm wondering how much money I can take out of the bank to buy a nice receiver/pre-amp/turntable for them. Hey, I figured I can be reasonable and then take out another 400. Considering the speakers cost me 30.99 total.

So basicly, they sound amazing.
    Excuse my ignorance.

transducergeek

You scored a nice pair of JBL's... Get 'em goin' and let us know the results..

Those 166's are some of the most desirable models going. You could sell them for around $300-$400 smackers.. when re-furbed... But I would keep 'em. Rick Cobb is a very nice guy, and knows his business.. I have done some trades with him. I also deal in some surrounds occasionaly, and need to order special items from him. I sell the "standard" size foams... Those woofers are either 122A-1's or something close to it, and those use the JBL "oversize" surrounds.. I get around $10 a pair up to 10" size and $12 for 12" and $15 for 15" .. but I don't give a videotape..like Rick does.. Go real slow in doing this work, and start before the parts arrive by cleaning up the woofers, that is the most time consuming part, pull the woofs and set them upright on a table at a comfortable height, with fingers or a small blade, remove the residue of old surrounds. I like to use some VM&P Naphpha solvent to loosen the adhesives a bit...good to clean up goo of all kinds also... and your fingers.. have fun.. RE.

PS. Write me if you have any questions about installation, I like to help..RE

Thread Information