So, I'd like to say hello to all the regulars here. I'm not really so much of a complete audio-moron but rather a youngin' who never had to deal with vintage speaker repairs. I have a couple pairs of Accostic Research AR-48s that do sound fantastic, but when a pair of JBL L166's dropped into my lap... I took note. (As they are incredibly heavy.)

I don't know much of their history. I'm fairly sure they were in a basement for a number of years. Their owners not knowing of what they had down there.

The foam surrounds are brittle, and with no more presure then I type on this keyboard they crack and fall down onto the concrete floor of my room. Other then this, they seem like they are perfect. It would seem to me that the rest of the cone would be extremely brittle also if the foam was in such a state, but I don't think this is true. I think they would be fine with just a repair of the foam surround.

I, just a young music enthesiast, am asking, what appears to be a great deal of experts here....

What would you do in a situation like this? I don't have much money, but am willing to do (mostly) whatever it takes to make these woofers sound like new.