Thread: Recone Altec Woofer 416-z

Recone Altec Woofer 416-z

One of my 416-z needed to be recone. However, I had ordered the complete rcone kit for 2 sets from Bill at GPA.
    1) Should I recone both of them (the other still work) or can I recone just one of them and leave the original on the other side?
    2) If I repair one of them, do they impact on sound?
    3) For one who experience recone (material from Bill at GPA), are there any different in quality of sound?
    Your answers are very much appreciated and helpfull for the newbie as me.
    Thanks for your advice in advanced.
    MJP

Welcome MJP

MJP

Glad to have you on board. In answer to your questions.

There are several things to take in consideration.

The age of the cones in the baskets now. If they have had a lot of hard driving, the spiders maybe sagging some and the surround may be not up to specs.
    Also if there are any differences in materials on the new cones the sound may not match. Another thing to consider is the differences if any in the DCR of your new cones and the old ones.

GPA has some great products for Altecs and the cone kits should be top notch, but if there is a great difference in the age of the cones you have, I believe it would be best to replace them in pairs. Just my .02 cents worth

Regards
    AL

Quote Originally Posted by MJP
    One of my 416-z needed to be recone. However, I had ordered the complete rcone kit for 2 sets from Bill at GPA.
    1) Should I recone both of them (the other still work) or can I recone just one of them and leave the original on the other side?
    2) If I repair one of them, do they impact on sound?
    3) For one who experience recone (material from Bill at GPA), are there any different in quality of sound?
    Your answers are very much appreciated and helpfull for the newbie as me.
    Thanks for your advice in advanced.
    MJP
    You may recone one and not notice any difference. Chances are you might. It is important to have each transducer matched as closely as possible. Replacing both cone assemblies makes sense otherwise you will end up (assuming both cones are original) with a 30-40 year old suspension and a new suspension on each of the two woofers. Also, GPA will remagnetize the alnico magnets which is another reason to have both done. I do not know the cost involved but I say...Go for it.

DavidF

Al and DavidF,

Many thanks for your clear answers. I will of corse recone both of them as per your advice!

Who know, how GPA remagnitize alnico magnet? What does it mean remagnitized? Does it special tools?

Best Regards,

MJP

Alnico

MPJ

The woofers you have contain Alnico magnets. With this type of magnet if they are driven hard for an extended period of time, it is possible for the magnet to loose some of its magnetic strength. Usually this happens to speakers used in pro sound situations but can happen in home situations also. It is a good idea anytime you recone a woofer or replace a diaphram in a compression driver with and Alnico magnet to have the magnet recharged.

Regards
    AL

Thread Information