Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An amazing set of horns

Cool An amazing set of horns

An amazing set of horns which I had the pleasure listening to last night. Spacey technology and a relative result.

Bass driver Altec 515, mid-high TAD 4001.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Another one
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Cool Bright shiny things

I like bright, shiny things, but those are beyond my taste. Do they look better in person?

I had a Nissan 200SX-SER that was painted Royal Blue that really looked more purple than blue, but the color changed with the light, so sometimes it was in fact blue. Then it was quite attractive.

Just like some folks have to keep the grilles on the Performance Series to avoid the appearance of the Titanium drivers, I'd have to put a black cloth over those speakers if they sounded good enough to keep.
    Out.

Mr. Dome,

I'd have to agree with you about the look of those horns and their WAF.... Widget Acceptance Factor, but who ever did them is certainly dedicated. (Do we need a new word for that too?) The paint used is a radical flip flop, that was $300 a quart when first introduced. I don't know if it has come down in price, but it certainly isn't trivial.

Looks aside, they are probably very dynamic and accurate between 100Hz and 12KHz... I wonder if there was a sub tucked away somewhere.

Widget

The best thing about this forum is that one gets to look at really cool solutions and then thank the stars they don't actually have to live with them.

I'm very impressed with the implementation of that system but I certainly wouldn't want it in my house.

They are "Organic."

[Heh.... ]

pangea

Tractrix?

Quote Originally Posted by Morfeas
    An amazing set of horns which I had the pleasure listening to last night. Spacey technology and a relative result.

Bass driver Altec 515, mid-high TAD 4001.
    Do both horns follow the tractrix curve?

Some of the most exciting and dynamic, as well as clean sounding speakers ever made, have been tractrix horns, equipped with JBL's, Altec's, TAD's, EV's and a few other brands, so, why be that upset about the looks?

I'm sure the guy who made them, is VERY happy with the sound, as well as the looks of tractrix horns.

BR
    Roland

EDIT: BTW, do you know why the baffle is curved?
    Last edited by pangea; 09-28-2005 at 09:49 AM. Reason: adding

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Mr. Dome,

I'd have to agree with you about the look of those horns and their WAF.... Widget Acceptance Factor, but who ever did them is certainly dedicated. (Do we need a new word for that too?) The paint used is a radical flip flop, that was $300 a quart when first introduced. I don't know if it has come down in price, but it certainly isn't trivial.

Looks aside, they are probably very dynamic and accurate between 100Hz and 12KHz... I wonder if there was a sub tucked away somewhere.

Widget
    Why not? How about "Edgarfidelity"?

BR
    Roland

Edgarhorns

As a user of Edgarhorns(round wooden salad bowls), I have had the 650hz/350hz and on order and due soon(Bruce is not the quickest in the business) is my 500hz to use with my Great Plains 399 1.4" drivers.

I have found the sound(or lack of added sound) of wood horns to far surpass horns made of metal and or plastic.

But that is my opinion!

Ron

paper or plastic

What about sonoglass?

Thumbs up PDG

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer
    What about sonoglass?
    IMO
    Out.

Edgarhorns are made of "Poplar"

I have found the sound eminating from the wooden horns is not as lively as with horns made of other materials. I have come to the opinion that metal/plastic/fiberglass horns are vibrating and create more output than the original sound source intended.

The only metal horns I have enjoyed using have been heavily damped like the Altec 311-60(Aquaplas) or something like that. Even wooden horns with aluminum throats have a higher level of upper midrange output than with all wood designed horns.

Ron

Mr. Widget can tell us how much it actually weighs, but having handled the H9800 Sonoglas horn, I can tell you it is massively dense in comparison to all others I have seen.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by pangea
    Do both horns follow the tractrix curve?
    EDIT: BTW, do you know why the baffle is curved?
    Yes they follow the tractrix curve.
    No, I don't know why the baffle is curved.

The construction it is quiet complex. The guy runs a business that builds polyester/epoxy/carbon parts for cars. The horns are build with some epoxy & carbon fibber using a technique that vacuum is guarantied. Both horns are double layer with heavy dumping between them (some lead-sand combination I suppose). The mid hi horn weight >50Kgr apart the driver.

Yes, they are the most dynamic speaker I have ever auditioned. IMO they don’t need a sub except if you run them in a HT. The rear of the 515 is loaded with bass reflex. You can see the four reflex ports on the corners of the bass horn.

As for the looks I would agree with you. Not my taste either. The paint job is the kind that changes colour depending on light usually seen on tuned cars.

But IF I could get my hands on them I would see with my ears and believe me they look beautiful.

Enjoy

Less distortion

A round horn or wave guide doesn't physically distort the sound wavefront propagating from the horn...that's what makes them sound more natural and smoother...fewer peaks/nulls/anomallys in the actual soundwave. Square and rectangular horns are designed for larger arrays to facilitate pattern coverage and control...think of stacking bricks tightly together versus stacking cylinders tightly together. When used alone though, the round wave guide sound more natural with less distortion with a broader listening window.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thread Information