Thread: The importance of a good x-over

pangea

The importance of a good x-over

I've been experimenting quite a lot on the x-overs of my MTM hybrids lately.

WOW, now I fully realize how much the soundstage is affected, when I'm only slightly off the mark.

Not only do the characteristics and the different slopes play a huge roll, but also the phase shift and time alignment, plays a vital roll here and it can vary from a totally collapsed soundstage to an absolutely holographic and firm soundstage, where each and every instrument and voice can be located, down to an inch or two and also, to the point where new things suddenly emerge out from the records, things never heard before.

I've noticed that even a slight time misalignment of a few mS can cause the soundstage to vary quite much.

Before, I mean a few years ago I was always relying on passive x-overs, but now I realize, there is no going back to that, ever again. I mean how can you get this precision, without having an entire lab at your disposal, besides the fact that you need to be able to handle all that equipment in the lab.

Today I wouldn't know where to begin, without my two Ultradrive DCX2496 and the UltraCurve DEQ2496, or any other brand that does the same.

So, what I'm saying, is that regardless the price tag, any audio equipment can sound awful or awesome, depending on what kind of x-over is used.
    And perhaps, sometimes when different sound characteristics are attributed to, let's say different CD-players, it could in fact be, that the x-over is what should be replaced.

BR
    Roland

Harryup
    Yes, agree fully.
    Using BSS366T myself. Vintage drivers are a must but vintage crossover are, well not so "important". Going digital means no return. But it is not without trouble. Lots of trying out and measuring is needed.

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryup
    Yes, agree fully.
    Using BSS366T myself. Vintage drivers are a must but vintage crossover are, well not so "important". Going digital means no return. But it is not without trouble. Lots of trying out and measuring is needed.
    What kind of measurments are you performing and what instruments do you use?

I've primarily used my ears and each time I have been using a specific number of recordings, both CD and Vinyl, so I know exactly what the different settings are doing to the soundstage.
    Other than that I've been using a test CD and different sound files on my PC to see how it affects the freq. response.

And of course I've used the recommended microphone from Behringer, to do all the measuring.

BTW, what do you think about microphone placement during x-over measurements, as well as RTA measurements?
    Do you also use room correction?

BR
    Roland

Thread Information