Thread: Shotguns

clmrt

Shotguns

I'm in the market for a $500 shotgun. Prefer O/U...no real reason other than I've got a pump already - it's my "user" gun, A Maverick 88 by Mossberg, and I'll be doing more skeet and trap than anything else.

New, there's the "Spartan" line, imported by Remington from Russia. Good notes on the web about it.

Used, there's a ton of models, obviously. The only requirements I have are 3" capability and choke tubes. I wouldn't mind at all having a classic American gun, but even used, those are out of my price range, especially with choke tubes, as those are newer.

Suggestions / models? I'll be looking, starting today.

Shotgunner myself

I own a 1978 Browning Citori O/U 26" with adjustable chokes. An avid Duck and Goose hunter, I also shot skeet quite a bit and reloaded my own shells.

These are a heavy but sweet field and skeet gun. I paid 795.00 Canadian for it and am happy as its worth twice that now in US dollars. With 26" barrels it's great for Blue Bills and Teal as it swings fast for leading these fast flying ducks. it's great for Pheasant and Ruffed Grouse as well.

I look forward to using it in October when I return home for my yearly hunting trip with dad and my brothers.

Ken

clmrt
    I've been thinking about the 26" vs 28" thing - I may opt for the 26". Ever have any reason to think the shorter barrel would be a disadvantage? Long range goose, I guess. But I prefer pheasant hunting and fast duck shooting, doves, like you explained.

Thanks for the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by clmrt
    I'm in the market for a $500 shotgun. Prefer O/U...no real reason other than I've got a pump already - it's my "user" gun, A Maverick 88 by Mossberg, and I'll be doing more skeet and trap than anything else.

New, there's the "Spartan" line, imported by Remington from Russia. Good notes on the web about it.

Used, there's a ton of models, obviously. The only requirements I have are 3" capability and choke tubes. I wouldn't mind at all having a classic American gun, but even used, those are out of my price range, especially with choke tubes, as those are newer.

Suggestions / models? I'll be looking, starting today.
    I have owned more than a few shotguns ( including a mossberg 88 like yours) and I also shoot trap and sporting clays.

If your going to shoot these disciplines you need a proper gun. A field gun like you looking at hits directly where you aim it. Trap requires a point of impact higher, above your point of aim at 44-48 yards. Skeet and sporting clays are best done with semiautomatics because the point of aim and impact do not change. O/U work for doubles but only if they are trap models.

Shotguns are like golf clubs. They come in different configurations for good reasons.

I would recommend a Berrette 391. You can get a synthetic stock version for around 350 at walmart. I have one with a trap style stock that adjusts the point of aim up and down with shims so I can use it for trap, skeet and sporting clays. I don't hunt with mine because it is a bit more expensive due to the stock and the trap barrel is has ( about 900.00) and for hunting I have a Remington 870.

Cheap O/U are trouble. Quality counts and there are plenty of cheap Russian and Italian O/U that are just terrible and unreliable. The Berretta semis are well made, a tested design, and very flexible in what you can use them for.

Skeet and Trap

Never liked trap shooting, to damned boring. Give me a skeet range anytime!. For a field gun I managed to shoot over 21 most of the time. Now, that was 25 years ago. I was hooked on the game for several years however. I had a good bud that used a Barretta O/U with Jug Chokes. Damned fine gun for sure.

Ken

clmrt
    According to Wal-mart (last resort, but man do they have guns in my price range), Winchester is Imported? When did that happen?

I mean, Belgian Brownings are cool and all, but that's nothing strange. I just didn't expect to see Mossberg listed as USA made while Winchester is not.

Where's the 870 made?

I know I'm kinda being a hypocrite, thinking about shelling out $ for a Russian-sourced OU.

I'll troll the used counters and see what I can find. Don't know if I like the idea of a used gun, I'll see what I can get for the moola.

Browning has made guns in Japan for 30 years. I have used the Russian O/Us and found them to be very rough. The 870 is still domestic adn as a practical matter you can get almost anything for them. the beretta 391 is enjoying similar success. There are low end winchester and weatherby shotguns that seem to be well made as well.

clmrt
    Bought a Rem 11-87 today. $484 out the door, a good deal I think. Bought from a small local guy, I like to keep them in business.

Thread Information