Thread: how can i open 2440 drivers ????

MatthiasA

how can i open 2440 drivers ????

Hello!

yesterday i got 2 2440 mounted on 2380A Horns + two E140 drivers

one of the 2440 souns not clearly enough ........
    now i tried to open this 2 " driver...
    i opend the 4 screws back but i cannot open this thing ?????

greetings mathias

Alex Lancaster
    Make sure the bolts are out all the way, gently tapping the back cover with a plastic or rubber mallet (sideways), and prying with a sharp knife should do it, I hope.

MatthiasA
    ok thanks a lot i opened it !

Maron Horonzakz
    That looks like a 2441 diaphram.

That looks like a 2441 diaphram.
    Yep, it sure does .

- MatthiasA, don't leave that back cover off for too long. That magnet is so strong , it'll attract dust-borne metallic particles onto the top-plate . Plus, accidents do happen .

- You've been advised in the past to watch screw-drivers in the magnet area. It's worth repeating again . The 2440 magnet is way stronger than the 2426 / so watch the screw-driver , it can swing right into that diaphragm with a dendulum motion , if you don't watch your grip. And a replacement diaphragm from JBL must be worth around $300.00 in Europe . Ouch !

<> EarlK

Looking at the face of the dome makes me want to agree that it is a 2441? But looking at the double solid brass colored material below the plastic dia. frame makes me wonder??? I thought all the 2441 dia. had a square washer below every mounting screw and the 2445 had the solid metal bands below the plastic frame????

Congrat's Matthias!

The dia looks original! You where lucky and got the 2441 which is better than the 2440 dia! They cost a fortune.
    Let's start building Westlake Horns

hallo matthias,

the centering pins I told you about in a private message are on the left and the right side of the underside of the black plastic

put a very thin knife under the left and right side and try to loosen it gently

frank

Hello

Another word of screw driver caution, do not use the type of screw driver that has the interchangable bits. They can be pulled out the screw driver and into the diaphragm.

Measure the impedance of the diaphragm at the red & black push terminals and directly at the terminal connecting screws on the diaphragm it should be around 9 ohms for a 16 ohm driver. If there is any difference from the terminal reading and directly on the diaphragm most likely there is some corrosion between the terminals were they connect to the diaphragm and at the push terminal feed through. That will cause a driver to sound bad and have a lower output.

Mike Caldwell

Thread Information