Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attachment Issue

Attachment Issue

Here's the scoop in detail. Starting September 1, I started getting hundreds of the following error message each day:

Database error in vBulletin :
    Link-ID == false, connect failed

mysql error: User audioheritage@localhost has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connections

mysql error number: 1203

Date: Wednesday 03rd of September 2003 05:48:12 PM

Script: /vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=5235

Referer:

Last night, Daniel B found that this error was generated when he tried to access the "Baffle layout" thread that contained over 100 attachments. At the time, there were only 7 people online. This allowed me to identify the problem. The post ID (5235) in the error message corresponded with this same thread. The fact that the script generating the error was "attachment.php” confirmed that it was an attachment issue. The low number of people online at the time of the error ruled out a user problem. This morning, I was able to confirm with Vbulletin that each attachment opens up new database connection.

The problem is only an issue where every post in a thread contains an attachment. The default setup is set to display 15 posts per thread. If one person views a thread that has an attachment in every post, there are 15 database connections opened up. Following the math, 3 people viewing such a thread would take up the same resources as 45 people viewing a thread without attachments.

Therefore, I would ask that the forum not be used to post multipage documents. If you see a need for this, please contact me in advance, and I will attempt to get such documents published in our library instead. This alternative does not create any database issues.

I have to admit that for a long time, I have been slow to add material to our library. Unfortunately, competing priorities had placed that on the back burner. However, given the problems created by using our forum as a document archive means that I will have to change priorities. I will endeavor to get archive materials up in short order. To this end, the attachments that were in the two removed threads will be up on the library later this evening. Over the past week, I have also readied a few hundred pages of backlogged scans that should also be up within 24hrs. Hopefully, removing this backlog will enable me to respond in a more timely fashion.

In conclusion, it is not my intention to dissuade people from using attachments. One off pages, graphs and pictures are a welcome additions to our forum. Just keep them within reason. As an initial guideline, try to ensure that no thread contains more than 33% attachments, and no more than 4 posts with attachments in a row. I’ll monitor this to see if further adjustments are required.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Hey, Don...

Get a life!

And, having said that entirely tongue-in-cheek, you know how I at least (from pm's and such... ) appreciate this endeavor of yours. Lonely though the Adminstrator is, your contributions are, immeasureable. The Heritage site has been growing in leaps and bounds, so you are not idle, merely needing a clone.

PLEASE let us know how, if at all, we can assist (besides the most recent posting guidelines - which, BTW, may be a rule that can be created in vBulletin...) - beyond the monetary contributions that I hope we all find some periodic, recurring need to renew. I think very few of us even comprehend the magnitude of your chosen task...

Best,
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Don,

We would be happy pitch in and help with resource issues. Apollo and Hermes are appropriately named.

John

Over the weekend, I managed to get up over 300 pages of new sanned documents. I am now caught up from the previous backlog. I am in the process of updating the index on our site to highlight just the new pages. However, this will take some time. Most of the new material is in the "Reference" section of the JBL archive and in the "Components" and "Pro Speakers" section of the Altec archive.

To Bo, I wasn't able to edit the PDF files of the JBL plans you posted to extract the images. Is it possible to get them uploaded as 150dpi jpgs to our ftp site?
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Don McRitchie
    To Bo, I wasn't able to edit the PDF files of the JBL plans you posted to extract the images. Is it possible to get them uploaded as 150dpi jpgs to our ftp site?
    I will try. I vaguely recall having uploaded them in that format some time ago - if they are not longer in the ftp, give me a bit to have a go at it again.

And, a hearty "well done" on the extra effort. I own you Heineken's, too!!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Hi Bo

There was a set on the ftp site that I have downloaded. However, they appear to be around 80dpi resolution and are not legible in either printed form or on a monitor.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Originally posted by Don McRitchie
    they appear to be around 80dpi resolution and are not legible in either printed form or on a monitor.
    These are very fine print - let me see if I can increase resolution. Working...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    Yes, I have all the originals and they are an absolute bear for me to scan. I've failed several times and need to find a better scanner or something. Maybe I should just redraw them all...

Originally posted by Giskard
    Maybe I should just redraw them all...
    You're goofey...

Hey, Don...

Incoming to "incoming", saved as higher resolution jpg's.

If this fails, I'll look for advice from nebel (any others...?) on what we can do with pdf's from here. Otherwise, we'll all need to donate to the Giskard Rapidograph Fund...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    Oh, so you're pulling these from a pdf? These aren't the original drawings?

BTW, what happened to my porting charts?
    Last edited by 4313B; 09-08-2003 at 11:34 AM.

Originally posted by Giskard
    Oh, so you're pulling these from a pdf? These aren't the original drawings?
    Yea, they are. I scanned them at work (off hours ) , and the only option we have here, is to .pdf. I have a large-format scanner at home (these are 11x17), so if this fails, I have another go at them there...

BTW, what happened to my porting charts?
    Good question. I have my copies...!!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Hi Bo,

You rang?

John

Originally posted by [email protected]
    You rang?
    HA! You're goofier than Giskard!

¿So tell me, what capabilities do you have for scanning 11x17-format plans? Brownline-on-white (don't ask me! ). I'd foot the bill and can hand-deliver at month's end , or FedEx like, tomorrow. Whatever you have seems better than my home-scale HP Scanner bed. Plus, there's another JBL and Altec brochure or two, too. (too, two...? )

Interested?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    Originally posted by boputnam
    HA! You're goofier than Giskard!
    No way!!! Don't take that away from me! It's all I got man!

To Bo

As John will likely tell you, Adobe Acrobat is required to edit the PDF files. This is not the free reader program, but the paid authoring application. The PDF files have more than enough resolution so that it should not be necessary to physically rescan the documents. However, I don't have access to Adobe Acrobat to extract the images. To Giskard, I have the porting diagrams. I was going to put them up in the same section as the kit enclosure plans.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Thread Information