Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: LE15A/375/075 Box Design

075 whistle...

err... that's just what they sound like ... (sorry for the joke)

o-ring from jblpro ... or home depot

might use a round-over (1/4"?) on the port holes. looks great...less "chuffing"

-grumpy

Quote Originally Posted by Val
    That's oxgen free (I pretend it makes a difference) 14ga RCA audio wire. I tinned the ends. I selected 14ga as it was the biggest that would fit in the JBL terminals.
    I use 12 gauge in mine. What I did was to well tin the ends with silver solder, then grind down the circumference a little on the bench grinder until the hardened ends fit in the terminals.

As for color ideas:

These cabinets were in terrible shape and I had to rebuild the bottom-front portion of one that was busted out and the wood was missing. I didn't want to veneer them so I filled in the grooves and rounded the front edges as it was easier to make it match the repaired area.

These were finished by first painting the cabinet grey. Linda did a spatter of white then took a can of the faux marble finish and lightly strayed it, then wiped/smeared the color into the grey. They really go with our modern decor.

"gasket"

here's what I meant by 0-ring (not associated w/ seller)... white in this picture:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-Gasket-for-0...QQcmdZViewItem
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by jbl4ever
    Did you tighten in the cross pattern configuration
    I'm not sure what you mean. The cross member that supports the 375 is screwed and glued to the vertical braces.

The mounting bracket for the 075. Slowly tighting the screws in a crisscross pattern. Are the mounting plates threaded or smooth bore no threads

I plan to finish them with paint to match our living room (maximizing the WAF). Dutch Boy makes some textured finishes that I think I might try. I'm open to suggestions. I've decided that my life is too short to take on vaneer. I will be rounding the corners with a 1/2" roundover bit.
    Very nice project.
    I would try walnut veneer on the sides rather than paint, and JBL Blue on the front. Applying veneer, especially paper-backed veneer, is not especially difficult and really pays off.
    Also, I know my wife is never really happy until there is a front grill covering the drivers.

The mounting bracket for the 075. Slowly tighting the screws in a crisscross pattern. Are the mounting plates threaded or smooth bore no threads
    Threaded.

Quote Originally Posted by John W
    I would try walnut veneer on the sides rather than paint, and JBL Blue on the front. Applying veneer, especially paper-backed veneer, is not especially difficult and really pays off.
    Is paper backed veneer attached with contact cement like regular veneer? Can you recommned a source?

Thanks for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy
    here's what I meant by 0-ring (not associated w/ seller)... white in this picture:
    Thanks for the picture. My 075's don't have the integral mounting flange. They have a separate bracket that that the 075 slips into. The bracket has a gap that won't press on the o-ring.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin
    Threaded.
    Val, can you drill the 4 mounting holes for the 075 on the baffle. This will tighten the mounting bracket better. You may be able to put the gasket on the front of the bracket. You do have the clamping bolt on the side of the bracket. Can not tell

Val, can you drill the 4 mounting holes for the 075 on the baffle. This will tighten the mounting bracket better. You may be able to put the gasket on the front of the bracket. You do have the clamping bolt on the side of the bracket. Can not tell
    Yes. Right now the bracket is attached with 5 Spax screws into the MDF. It seems solid now. Is the worry that, over time it will loosen?

Here's pic of the driver and it's bracket. Perhaps the o-ring will solve my whistle problem even with the small gap.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Val, are the 3 holes threaded.

Is paper backed veneer attached with contact cement like regular veneer? Can you recommned a source?
    Here is a thread detailing some L112s I put veneer on.
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=6884

I use the water-based contact cement for paper backed veneer. A good source for the veneer is http://www.oakwoodveneer.com

Val, are the 3 holes threaded.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by John W
    Here is a thread detailing some L112s I put veneer on.
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=6884

I use the water-based contact cement for paper backed veneer. A good source for the veneer is http://www.oakwoodveneer.com
    Great thread reference. Thanks. Those look beautiful. I might just try that.

Thread Information