Thread: L65 Jubal as center speaker for 4333?

L65 Jubal as center speaker for 4333?

Thinking of setting up a HT using my 4333's as fronts, 4425's as rears + sub1500's. I was debating what to use for centre speaker and today, came across a pair of L65 Jubal locally at a decent price (about $600usd/pair). I figure all the 2405's would match nicely. And buying a center would be a lot less work then making one myself - my original plan. Would a L65 make a good center speaker? If I buy them, does anyone need a single L65?

BTW, I figured out that the only way my wife would let me bring more speakers into the house is under the pretense of setting up a HT - "but its 7.1 dear. I must buy 4 more speakers so we can watch TV together".

They'll probably do a decent job, But I think they'd be better suited for surround duty and use your 4425 for the center. The L65's will have a harder time keeping up with the 4333 L&R. Center channel is more about dialogue clarity, and the 4425 has the compression driver to keep up. Why not search for a single/pair4425? They show up on eBay and craigslist.com frequently.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

I tried a Jubal with my home brews and it had 2 problems. The 077 was too low when floor mounted compared to the mains so the pans dipped as they went across. The other was the midrange simply could not match the compression drivers in the mains. A 2 way compression driver system would be a better match all around. A 4425 could work and a Urei 809 could too. You would have to decided between them which horn type to use. The 4425 is very broad coverage while the 809 is more focused. The 4425 would be easier to place more options with the horn. The Urie you need to be on axis looking down the throat in your prime spot. This will match the radiation pattern for the 4333's so no ceiling/floor splash but depending on how many seats, how wide your couch is, you have to cover it may not cut it.

Rob

Thread Information