Thread: 250TI LE + 2482J PHENOL

250TI LE + 2482J PHENOL

Hi,
    I have a chance to buy a set of 2482J PHENOL but would they be any good together with my 250TI?
    In case of a positive answer how should it be done??

Thanks
    Mikael

I have a chance to buy a set of 2482J PHENOL but would they be any good together with my 250TI?
    No !

No, No, No !

NoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNo !

Thanks Earl.

I know the crossover needs to modified and it might not be an easy job, but still you say no no no no?
    Can you say why, please?

Thanks
    Mikael

Quote Originally Posted by Laketown

I know the crossover needs to modified and it might not be an easy job, but still you say no no no no?
    Can you say why, please?

Thanks
    Mikael
    Simply put...the 2482 is a huge, high power midrange honker to be used for public address/paging/stadium/motorspeedway types of applications to project intelligably and cut through high ambient noise venues.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    Simply put...the 2482 is a huge, high power midrange honker to be used for public address/paging/stadium/motorspeedway types of applications to project intelligably and cut through high ambient noise venues.
    Yeah...

Regis
    Laketown,

Just be happy with the 250 Ti LE's! There's only one mod, I can think of that you can really do to improve them and that would be a biased network. The crossovers already incorporate bypass technology. Use the search engine and put in 'Bias' or 'Capacitor' or even 250 Ti. These speakers are really good as is.

Can you say why, please?
    - Sorry Mikael, my mind snapped & then I went shopping . Luckily, others saw my distress and stepped in .

- You probably could not have chosen two more radically opposing systems or components.

- Whereas the 250ti series is all about a fully realized and refined playback system / the 2482 driver is a brutish "boat-horn of a device" that is best used to warn sailors of impending doom . ( Okay that might be a bit of an overstatement )

- There are some suggested upgrades to the stock 250s but retrofitting a foghorn into the cabinent is not one of them .

- Do a site search for Giskard , along with 250ti , &/or Charge Coupled ™ network, &/or 093ti midrange, to get some other upgrade ideas .

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K
    - Sorry Mikael, my mind snapped & then I went shopping . Luckily, others saw my distress and stepped in .

- You probably could not have chosen two more radically opposing systems or components.

- Whereas the 250ti series is all about a fully realized and refined playback system / the 2482 driver is a brutish "boat-horn of a device" that is best used to warn sailors of impending doom . ( Okay that might be a bit of an overstatement )

- There are some suggested upgrades to the stock 250s but retrofitting a foghorn into the cabinent is not one of them .

- Do site search for Giskard , along with 250ti , &/or Charge Coupled ™ network, &/or 093ti midrange, to get some other upgrade ideas .

ROFLMAO!!!!!!! Geez Earl...you gotta be a comedy writer...I haven't had such a good laugh in awhile reading your entertaining post...and you're absolutely right on!!! Retrofitting a foghorn....priceless....
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    ROFLMAO!!!!!!! Geez Earl...you gotta be a comedy writer...I haven't had such a good laugh in awhile reading your entertaining post...and you're absolutely right on!!! Retrofitting a foghorn....priceless....
    And for everything else, theres Mastercard!
    scottyj

Hold your horses
    I have heard a diy speaker with a 2482 unit and they sound better than most speakers!!!
    Now my english is not good enough but try to understand. The 2482 was without the horn and it was "opened up" to the diaphragm.
    He used a superior active crossover to align the output from the 3 ways speaker.
    But I don't know if it's duable with my 250ti?

Sorry about my bad english
    Mikael

2482 Phenolic for 250ti

Hi,
    In case of a positive answer how should it be done??

Thanks
    Mikael

Sorry, but forget that.
    If you want to enter the good JBL area of Alnico drivers, then better sell your 250s and get some speakers of that area.
    But adding a 2" compression horn with phenolic in this speaker,
    forget it simply, - where do you want to go?

Hi Mikael,

- Okay, now I know what you actually meant . That midrange reverse is an old studio trick . It was done with 2440 drivers / typically .

- Taking off the dust-cap and then reversing the direction of the driver so that one is looking/listening to the exposed diaphragm is a doable trick to obtain a 4" domed midrange. Still, I wouldn't butcher a 250ti of any version for this modification.

- I have already suggested an alternative midrange ( the 093ti ) that uses a 3" titanium dome . I believe you'll need to obtain these via eBay . This driver might just fit straight into the existing hole for your present 104H(2?) .

- Another idea is to retrofit some of the newer titanium midrange units, as found in JBLs' Performance Series ( in the PT800 ).

- Here are some photos courtesy of Titanium Dome that he conjured up. He's the grand master of Performance Series dome stuff .

- Here's todays pricing from Harman for the midrange drivers found in the PT800 .

Attached Images Attached Images     

Also

In order to make the open back, diaphragm exposed midrange trick work, you will have to plug up the throat, I believe!

I gotta agree with Earl, though, if I wanted to do this, I dont know if a 2482 would be my choice to do it with, and I would`nt frankenstein a pair of 250Ti,s!
    scottyj

Thread Information