Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Studio L Series

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... but I agree with Mr. Edge on this one. Most of the affordable JBLs sold over the last several years look pretty darn cheesy to me.

I've discussed this with others here on the forum and the response was speakers are for sound... that may be true but they are also part of your life... I don't want to surround myself with things I'd rather hide in the closet.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... but I agree with Mr. Edge on this one. Most of the affordable JBLs sold over the last several years look pretty darn cheesy to me.

I've discussed this with others here on the forum and the response was speakers are for sound... that may be true but they are also part of your life... I don't want to surround myself with things I'd rather hide in the closet.

Widget
    It's unlikely JBL is deliberately making speakers that would be considered ugly by its target market. I'll bet Harman has a van full of analysis that says what will work in certain consumer segments. This awareness keeps the numbers up, and that's what pays the bills. Just remember, this is the same segment that buys Bose, Athena, Rockets, Ascends, Paradigms, etc.

I can remember when I got my first JBLs, L100s, there was some debate over the appearance. Goshawful colors, three-dimesional grilles for heaven's sake, bizarre geometric patterning--"Do you play chess on that thing or what? Is that a Brill-o pad? Why I like old-fashioned grilles, not this gaudy, new fangled stuff."

But back on track, my post was about the sound and the great review. Can we at least be happy about that?
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    But back on track, my post was about the sound and the great review. Can we at least be happy about that?
    Happy as a hog in hogwash.

How many ad pages did Harman buy in that issue? Is it recurring revenue for the periodical?

I'd just like to see the entry and mid-level stuff with the JBL badge use JBL components that have the build quality that the JBL name is supposed to be known for....and not just be a "Cadillac Cimarron" that's priced way higher than it deserves to be simply because of the brand name..."is all"...that was a "Zilchism"
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

It's unlikely JBL is deliberately making speakers that would be considered ugly by its target market....
    I don't know... do they sell well? I was under the impression that it was mostly car audio that kept the JBL boat a float. I guess I just wish they offered elegant options too... in Europe they do. Perhaps they respect that market more than our own.

As for the sound... my point was, for at least some of us that isn't an isolated quality. If they were the best speakers in the world, I'd be buying them and repackaging them. Fortunately there are other options. Of course as I said before, beauty even more than sound quality is subjective. If someone likes their looks that's great... I doubt I'd consider any "box" type of loudspeaker that doesn't at least have real wood veneer... not even those very expensive Wilsons... car paint?! Get real, I don't want a plastic coated box in my living room. Just a personal thing I guess.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    How many ad pages did Harman buy in that issue? Is it recurring revenue for the periodical?
    It is sad but often true. I have no idea in this case... it is quite likely that the reveiwer really loved the speakers.

Sorry but I'll drift OT for a second... has anyone noticed the retro gear that Stereophile has been testing and reviewing... I think it's way cool... and you know Advent, Bozak, Fisher, and the rest aren't buying any ads since the companies that created those products are as dead as Altec Lansing.

Now back to the previously scheduled thread.

Widget

That is an uggglllleeee speaker system.
    that's what the grills are for...

Happy as a hog in hogwash.

It's Web only, so Harman didn't have any ad pages, per se.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/about.html

There are ads from Paradigm, SVS, and HSU speakers.

There is an ad for Lexicon. Hey, maybe Harman leveraged that to get a favorable review on a consumer speaker, instead of say, a high margin Lexicon processor.
    Out.

"The bottom line is that I bought them for myself and would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone as an excellent investment in home theater and music listening enjoyment."- Adrian Wittenberg -

The reviewer bought the review system. I guess he really did like them!

Widget

Great thread Titanium Dome!!! Mostly good/great INFO especially from JBL8827 (2-posts).

FYI: Here's another review from Sound & Vision Magazine - check out the Objective Benchmarks by Tom Nousaine ...

JBL L820 and L810 left/right satellites and LC2 center speaker by Al Griffin - FEB. '06.

Notable quote from on-line article:
    BOTTOM LINE The "studio" tag on the Studio L speakers is well earned. This system's robust build quality surpasses that of many speakers in its price range and makes a strong connection to JBL's professional line. The same can also be said for its clean, uncolored sound and impressive dynamics. While the satellites’ extended highs didn't exactly make me stand up and say "Aha!," the system's performance with top-notch SACD recordings was nothing short of stunning. You can easily buy a better-looking system for several hundred dollars less, and it will make a more elegant design statement alongside your new flat-panel TV. But if performance is more important to you than the fussy stuff, you’ll be well served by JBL's Studio Ls.
    If I ever upgrade my setup, ... I'd replace my six JBL S26s w/six JBL L830s and JBL S-Center w/JBL LC2!!! (LFE sub-woofer duties = SVS 25-31PCi of course!!! ) I just love the 360-degree near 100% timbre-matching surround sounds in my 20' x 30' w/10'high vaulted ceiling HT/family room!!!

Phil
    My Home Theater Website (since Sept. '99)
    -----
    Acquisition Rule #59 “Free advise is seldom cheap.” (Quark @ DS9)
    -----
    My DVDSpot Library List

JBL S-Series + SVS =

I think the positive reviews are great....really. But when a reviewer says in no uncertain terms that they're ugly....why not capitalize on understating the appearance...iow...make them prettier and sell even more.

You can easily buy a better-looking system for several hundred dollars less, and it will make a more elegant design statement alongside your new flat-panel TV. But if performance is more important to you than the fussy stuff, you’ll be well served by JBL's Studio Ls.
    A consumer oriented manufacturer should well be aware that the appearance can make or break a products success....that silver just looks cheap. I'm sure those MBA marketers at Harman have it all figured out. Must have some analytical EOQ mu squared delta gamma bell curve standard deviation vector to predict sales volume.

Keep a lookout for them at the Harman Outlet.

A consumer oriented manufacturer should well be aware that the appearance can make or break a products success....that silver just looks cheap. I'm sure those MBA marketers at Harman have it all figured out. Must have some analytical EOQ mu squared delta gamma bell curve standard deviation vector to predict sales volume.

Keep a lookout for them at the Harman Outlet.
    Cheap...like sex.. sells..... ( and cheap sex sells best of all )

Look at all those electronics from the 70's and 80's that had 1000's of flashing lights and knobs that did nothing to improve the sound.... they sold like hot cakes...

I agree with you Edge..I'm sure they did focus groups and what not to know what sells....

then again maybe we could drap flags over them and play them for "OLD GLORY" after drinking about 6 beers( things look better after drinking - at least until the next morning)...

seriously tho, I don't think they're THAT BAD

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    Cheap...like sex.. sells..... ( and cheap sex sells best of all )

Look at all those electronics from the 70's and 80's that had 1000's of flashing lights and knobs that did nothing to improve the sound.... they sold like hot cakes...

I agree with you Edge..I'm sure they did focus groups and what not to know what sells....

then again maybe we could drap flags over them and play them for "OLD GLORY" after drinking about 6 beers( things look better after drinking - at least until the next morning)...

seriously tho, I don't think they're THAT BAD
    I think I know what your saying, Rick.

But I can hear the conversation in Best Buy or Fry's now:

"Baby!!! Listen to those JBL's....Gawd those sound TIGHT!"

"Um, yeah well... Honey...those ones over there are so much prettier...RIGHT!!!???

"Yeah, Baby...I guess so... "

But I can hear the conversation in Best Buy or Fry's now:

"Baby!!! Listen to those JBL's....Gawd those sound TIGHT!"

"Um, yeah well... Honey...those ones over there are so much prettier...RIGHT!!!???

"Yeah, Baby...I guess so... "
    There's an old saying about putting a bag over something or another. In this case, just put the grilles on and enjoy the sex--er, sound.
    Out.

Quick...let me know ...half the time I'm not sure what I mean But I think everyone got the joke about the flag...

There's an old saying about putting a bag over something or another. In this case, just put the grilles on and enjoy the sex--er, sound.
    I agree, you know it took me 6 months to get to like the look of the PS series, so I'm use to the Industrial Silver Look ( I.S.L.) now....besides how much can a can of spray paint cost if it really bothers you???

ooooooor just put the grills on and fugitaboutit..

after all it's the sound that matters....lastly..how many of JBL's other speakers look strange but sound wonderful???this is just another in a long line..excuse the pun but the 4430's are BUTT UGLY...

JBL would...should surely be proud of the loyalty displayed here for the marque...bravo

I hope it flows to the showrooms.

Thread Information