Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Studio L Series

JBL8827
    ...browsing the post and wanted to clear up some of the questions/comments.

But now I'm just annoyed. They have added a useless super tweeter that no human will be able to hear. Crossover frequency at 20 Khz? They couldn't find any better way to spend the money than to add this useless marketing gimmick? The tweeter and supertweeter crossover is right around 20khz for all models. It's low order and helps keep the system frequency and phase response linear up and through 20khz. On one hand the super tweeter was incorparated as a trickle-down from the top of the line array/K2 speakers - introducing some continuity throughout the JBL line from the flagships through the less expensive models. On the other hand it was something that was desired as much as or more by JBL Europe than in the US. The StudioL line is sold throughout the world, not just the US like the previous Studio series.

they figure that if Monster can make millions selling improvements that no one can actually hear, they should get in on the act too. It's another decision that puts marketing ahead of sound quality
    I would disagree. Harman spends millions on R&D and argualby nothing on advertising. Whens the last time you saw an ad for a JBL consumer speaker? I would even go so far as to argue that sometimes we put sound quality too far ahead of aesthetics. Each and every JBL speaker goes through a battery of objective and subjective evaluation for sound quality before it can be approved for production. Every company could do this if they had millions in research facilities but fortunately for us they don't.

....No, totally different situation, the K2 needs the supertweeter, and crossover is at 10 Khz.
    ....and you think the beryllium 435Be compression driver couldn't have made it to 20,000 if they wanted to? Look at what they did with aluminum on other systems ( 4430 comes to mind)
    no the 435Be and 435Ti don't make it to 20khz. They have 3" diaphrams. They were designed from the outset to have maximum low frequency output (down to 400Hz) and not for extended frequency response. The 045Be/045Ti UHF's both have frequency response from 4kHz and on the high end they're 6dB down above 40kHz. The 435/045-based systems are awesome. With the crossover points to the 435 at or below 800Hz in all models the systems really kicks some serious rear end. We're talking extremely smooth frequency response and dispersion throughout; and of course they'll play distortion free as loud as you can take it. The new JBL Synthesis One lineup is also based on the 435/045 horn loaded compression drivers. Just to note, the crossover point between the 435 and 045 is 9Khz.

I'd say there's a difference between 045Be and the monolythic mylar doodah they're using in L-Series.
    yes, the 045 is a serious piece of R&D. The Studio L supertweeter has a custom designed phase plug and waveguide but it's not a compression driver. Nevertheless it's a nice UHF tweeter and performs well.

I'll know that their decision was based on sound engineering when I see the same supertweeter on the LSR series.
    JBL Professional and Harman Consumer Group are two different companies. While we live next to each other in Northridge and share technology both companies have their own aganda. JBL Pro needs stuff to play loud, be light, and be array-based. The JBL Pro studio monitors are their own thing. Flat frequency response, high power handling with low distortion and low power compression. Not to mention the 6300 series is based on the old LSR28/32 models and uses the 053Ti which has been around for years. The 053Ti does have a nice frequency response that extends past 20khz but it costs $50 to manufacture and is not practicle in the price range of even a studio L series price point.

About the Studio L series in general I'm very happy with how it turned out. Once again JBL has not cut back on the number of models offered. There's a full line of floor standers, book shelfs, centers, on walls, and sub. Also, the enclosure design and build has continued to set some high benchmarks. Harman (with JBL and Infinity) were the first speaker company to start using some beautifully shaped mass produced wood/vinyl enclosures (starting with the Infinity Interlude series) and the Studio L is no exception. When you get close to the stuff they look just as good as they sound...

Jeez, good thing I spelled "doodah" correctly....

Damage control is now on the scene....very tempting...hmm.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Talking Are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Jeez, good thing I spelled "doodah" correctly....

I think you meant "doodad."

sorry Don't take the miracle wire back.
    Last edited by Titanium Dome; 09-13-2005 at 04:39 PM. Reason: guilt
    Out.

I KNOW you been secretly usin' that wire.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL8827
    we put sound quality too far ahead of aesthetics.......... While we live next to each other in Northridge and share technology both companies have their own aganda..
    Nice authoritative post that I appreciate. Nice to see you here, and please do post similarly in the future as needed. Good info from a right-sounding source.

[qoute=JBL8827]Each and every JBL speaker goes through a battery of objective and subjective evaluation for sound quality before it can be approved for production. Every company could do this if they had millions in research facilities but fortunately for us they don't.[/quote]

I'd sure love to know more about this process. I read bits and pieces about the Northridge campus and it's world-leading facilities. For example:

http://stereophile.com/news/10201/

http://www.reed-electronics.com/tmwo.../CA475937.html

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ks-4-2004.html

But I'd love to know the basic process employed in developing these Studio L Series.
    Out.

Harman spends millions on R&D and argualby nothing on advertising. Whens the last time you saw an ad for a JBL consumer speaker? I would even go so far as to argue that sometimes we put sound quality too far ahead of aesthetics.
    I wonder if it's working. I bet Harman has spent money studying the market to see what would happen if they spent real money on advertising and a bit more on aesthetics. I bet they ran the numbers and found their desired profit curve.

They do spend money on advertising for Synthesis and those funny little computer speakers... just not high fidelity. I am just thankful they are still doing the R&D and turning out new product.

Widget

JBL8827
    don't be bothered by me. I'm just a little guy here. I just happen to have some insight. I'm one of systems engineers just checking out the forum and posted during my lunch hour. I'm not primarily responsible for the Studio L series but let's just say I sit next to the guy who is and I'm extremely familiar with it I work primarily on JBL and I've been the primary engineer for the JBL Synthesis range for about 5 years now and I've been working for a good part of the last 12 months with the 435/045/175ND compression drivers as they are used in the new Synthesis line. I've also worked a bit with JBL Pro and did some work with the LSR28/LSR32's so this thread was interesting to me and I thought I would reply.

I wonder if it's working. I bet Harman has spent money studying the market to see what would happen if they spent real money on advertising and a bit more on aesthetics. I bet they ran the numbers and found their desired profit curve.
    very good observation. This was something I questioned when I starting working for harman out of college 7 years ago. We are spending money more and more on advertising. The company is being run so smart and so efficiently now - it's really nice. JBL consumer has actually sort of come a long way. If you think about it JBL car audio always had fantastic products, but 5 years ago you couldn't find it anywhere. No advertising. Not many dealers. I myself could barely get a hold of a pair of 508GTi's! After a few years of aggressive campaigning and overhauling the dealer infrastructure they're all over the place now. ..advertising in the magazines, sponsoring the top car audio guys...and the product is actually great stuff. What a concept.
    There's some aggressive ad campaigns coming out in the next 6 months, print ad in magazine and public places etc...for JBL and harman kardon stuff.

I'd sure love to know more about this process. I read bits and pieces about the Northridge campus and it's world-leading facilities
    yeah it's really something else. We actually have people in all the time for tours of the facilities and presentations and stuff. Dealers, print media, etc...and it's actually true, it's not b.s. sometimes to the chagrin of us systems engineering guys. Sometimes we are very proud of our prototype product and we have no reservations about making it and going into production but nevertheless we've got to go through tons of measurements, documentation, and subjective testing before we can proceed. Really cramps the timeline!

Welcome to the forum JBL8827. What do you think of the rest of this site? Have you looked through the Library and the Profile pages?

Thank you for the posts.
    People who make sound their business depend on JBL for their sound.

Nice to have your input JBL8827( and DRG too). Glad to see your posts. It's refreshing to hear from the JBL staff.

Well, I've had to eat my words about the 435Be a couple of times on this thread, I got a little carried away as I was somewhat steamed ( shall we say - pissed-off) when I wrote that. But my basic position stays the same. I don't think JBL NEEDED the tweeter to go so high, I believed it was a choice ( marketing AND engineering), I could be wrong.

When the time is right, some "white papers" or other info on the studio L would be appreciated by many forum members I'm sure( like what was provided for the Array series). Of course we understand that info can only be released when the company is ready.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and thank you for you're input. It was really needed. By the way, one word of caution....This forum can be REALLY ADDICTING

...browsing the post and wanted to clear up some of the questions/comments.
    As others are chiming in, your participation here is very welcome. Given the wide and diverse nature of our forum membership, it gets to be a bit of a free for all here at times. The information you provided gives insight into the complexity of the process and myriad of issues behind the development of a new loudspeaker system that I don't think everyone realizes. Therefore, I hope you stick around. Any opportunity for understanding benefits us mutually.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Arrow Pricing

From Harmanaudio.com come Studio L Series prices:

LC1 $499 each
    LC2 $599 each
    L810 $650 pair
    L820 $750 pair
    L830 $750 pair
    L880 $700 each
    L890 $799 each
    Out.

My report

Here is my limited report, I would like to hear from folks who have auditioned these speakers in a better environment:

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...ead.php?t=8810

Post #12

-- Brandy

Post JBL's 2006 blurb

Here's how the Studio L Series starts 2006. It's mostly familiar verbiage, but a little deeper in a couple of places.

from Frank Doris, FM Group Public Relations

JBL Studio L Series: Bringing Professional Studio-Quality Sound to Home Listeners

JBL’s Studio L Series of home theater and stereo loudspeakers includes eight high-performance models that incorporate a host of design innovations and technologies directly derived from the company’s professional recording studio monitors to achieve exceptional sonic accuracy and musical realism. Along with superlative performance, JBL Studio L Series loudspeakers offer expanded installation options, and feature a distinctively contemporary design that complements every décor and home entertainment installation.

The Studio L Series includes two wall-mount/bookshelf monitors (models L810 and L820); a compact bookshelf loudspeaker (model L830); two floorstanding towers (models L880 and L890); two dedicated center channel loudspeakers (models LC1 and the wall-mountable LC2) and a 12-inch, 600-watt powered subwoofer (model L8400P). Suggested retail prices for the Studio L Series range from $650 to $1,598 per pair (SRP).

A key JBL innovation that is incorporated into every Studio L Series loudspeaker (except the L8400P subwoofer) is a newly developed ultrahigh-frequency horn transducer that provides extended frequency response to 40kHz. The UHF transducer is complemented by a pure-titanium-dome tweeter housed within an EOS waveguide, both configured in a “room friendly” design that delivers sound that’s closer to the real-life sound heard in the concert hall, and re-creates the acoustic environment captured on the original recording.

Studio L Series woofers and midrange drivers incorporate refinements such as JBL’s PolyPlas polymer-coated cellulose-fiber cones, which provide smooth frequency response with faster transients, and allow for higher playback levels without distortion. JBL Studio L Series loudspeakers also feature a host of additional enhancements, such as cabinets that are significantly improved from previous Studio Series models to minimize the possibility of sonic coloration from internal resonances, and JBL’s Straight-Line Signal Path (SSP) crossover network, which ensures maximum sonic purity.

JBL Studio L Series models offer wall-, stand- and floor-mounting installation options to accommodate any home theater or music system, and are available in a cherry, beech or black-ash finish, making it easy to complement any home décor.
    Out.

Thread Information