Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: Studio L Series

L150A's instead

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    LOL, I met Shaan today and tried to sell him my L890's, but I made the mistake of letting him hear my "new" L150A's, then the gleam went out of his eye for the L890's.

L150A, the deal-killers. Now he's ruined for life for any other speaker. I think we may have a new vintage JBL addict on our hands.

Nice to meet you Shaan, but now the L890's are in the back room facing the wall, looking all forlorn. They're calling to you......

Yes sir....the L150A's did me in on the L890's....them 150A's are dreamy! ....plus I really dont like the ash color.... now I looking for L96, L112, L150's..... you better grab them b4 me cause I got my eyes peeled.....

Great to meet you old JBL fart!... and thanks for all the great knowledge and advice.....

Shaan

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by shaansloan View Post
    them 150A's are dreamy!
    Yeah, I was bummed when JBL did away with some of the service kits for that line of loudspeakers.

Thanks for this thread Heather....I have a set of L880's on the way....I am going to just experiment with them....

I am considering using (2) L890's for front's, (2) L880's for rears and an LC2 for center.....my listening room is about 25X28.....of course music(Loud rock, Classical, Jazz and other) is my first use but I want these to double as my HT....I can do this whole package for $1100.00 using JBL Reman's from EBay....I am driving this whole bit with a Yamaha RX-870 A/V Receiver.....but I have considered getting a Harman AVR745....do you think I will get better sound with the Harmon(noticable improvement) to warrant this purchase?

Thanks for your comments,
    Shaan

Well I got my set of L880's in .....they really sound good....they make tremendous rears.....but I have a problem I am not real sure how to fix for now ....my fronts right now are my Altec Carmels and they are 16 ohm and produce huge sound(much more effecient than my L880's)....so the Altecs drown out the L880's cause they are just producing more db...(you should hear the Cave Troll battle in Mines of Morea or the Battle at Helmsdeep in the Lord of the Rings on these babies)....talk about theater sound!.....

is there a way to pad the Altecs to even them out with the L880's???....

In the future I think I will move the Carmels into another room with my new sweetheart McIntosh gear and replce my fronts with L890's....

Well I got my set of L880's in .....they really sound good....they make tremendous rears.....but I have a problem I am not real sure how to fix for now ....my fronts right now are my Altec Carmels and they are 16 ohm and produce huge sound(much more effecient than my L880's)....so the Altecs drown out the L880's cause they are just producing more db...(you should hear the Cave Troll battle in Mines of Morea or the Battle at Helmsdeep in the Lord of the Rings on these babies)....talk about theater sound!.....

is there a way to pad the Altecs to even them out with the L880's???....

In the future I think I will move the Carmels into another room with my new sweetheart McIntosh gear and replce my fronts with L890's....
    A new AVR will solve this when it does auto-setup and level adjustment. Your old Yamaha *might* have level adjustments too. FWIW, I'd consider using the L880s and LC2 for your front stage with one or 2 good subs. this will be the best match for your current setup.

I'm presntly bi-amping a set of L880's with an ART 311 and a pair of Marantz amps--240 on the woofers and a 140 on the mids/highs.

Though, when my 250's are done, they will go in instead. The 140 is nice, but it does not have the mid range detail that the 250/240s have.

I was actually thinking about using two 240's on the woofers--one for each set.

Most of what I listen to with these is vinyl. But I do have a Sony C222ES and a Toshiba HD-DVD Player. The HT stuff is powered by a Yamaha that is aging now, but the sub and 820s are very nice. The L880's are just wonderful with classical, jazz and rock. In fact, I would put them up against Piagras anytime--the 10,000.00 ones. It might be my amps and preamp versus McIntosh, but I don't think so. I went and auditioned a 25,000.00 set up at Hi-FI sound in Minneapolis and thought mine did just fine against it. I am serious. I do have a very nice Thorens deck though. The speakers are very nice indeed.

Most of the time I run the L880s in conjunction with the rest of it--but I cannot do that with a HD-DVD disk as it runs out of sink. I can't figure out why as it does not with a regular DVD running on the same player.

Anyway, I seldom feel the need for the sub anymore. The L880's have plenty of bass when they are fed with enough power. The room is 18x18 ft. and I built it for listening. What that means was putting hard wood paneling in below as wainscoting and wood panel (pseudo rococo) up above. The wood panels are a nice acustic feature. The floors are hardwood--oak and cherry and the room does have a wool oriental on the floors. Leather furniture. The viewing screen is an 8ft wide movie screen fed by a digital, HD projector.

I was wondering if JBL was done with building more Studio Ls too. I hope not. I scored two pair of L830s for $388 and one LC1 for $133 last year through Harmon's ebay program. And that includes shipping. I was a little nervous before buying the first pair of L830s because they were listed as "remanufactured." As it turns out, all of the speakers I bought appeared to be brand new. At least, I could not differentiate them from NOT being new, especially with the new smell and factory packaging. Anyone else have a similar experience? Are they really remanufactured or just being closed out?

They provide plenty of enjoyment and performance for what my plans called for, which is primarily use by three girls under the age of 8 that don't do much more than watch the Disney channel, etc. I don’t really watch too many movies. If I did, a pair of the L890s and an L8400 would probably be on the radar. The front mains sit on the entertainment cabinet, next to the TV, while the LCI sits inside the cabinet (glass in door removed). I just placed the rears on the floor on each side of the couch. Carpet, of course.

I also scored an Onkyo TX-SR605 to power these JBLs and the Panasonic 52" plasma for visual entertainment. That was a good Christmas.

All said and done, no regrets. But, I still find myself retreating to my other room with the Sony ES and 120Tis for some "alone time." I think a pair of L300s or 250Tis or whatever is going to be next on the list . . .
    Sony N55ES (2), E1000ESD, C85ES - JBL 120Ti | Onkyo TX-SR605 - JBL L830 (4), LC1 (1) | Dell - Pioneer SX-750 - JBL 4406

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Nut View Post

All said and done, no regrets. But, I still find myself retreating to my other room with the Sony ES and 120Tis for some "alone time." I think a pair of L300s or 250Tis or whatever is going to be next on the list . . .
    Well, if you go for the 250Ti, you better have a big room if you want them to sound their best.
    I remember one guy, on this forum, a few years ago, bought a pair but his room wasn't large enough and sold them, and if I remember right, he bought the L212 system, and was much happier with the sound, in that same room.

Thread Information