Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Studio L Series

Quote Originally Posted by MJC View Post

Nice, but too bad you don't have enough room to spread out the 880s more. That would give a better, or at least, wider soundstage.
    I know...I have 2 more inches on either side..I'll move them...seriously

Quote Originally Posted by aht3 View Post
    Pyro, actually the 810 are a pretty nice size. They are 12wX14h. The 820s are 12hX15W.
    That's good to hear, because there's no way I can make the 820's work for my rear surrounds and didn't want to go with something small or puny for my rear surrounds. It's kind of hard to explain, but vision if you will, the back of my room. Well along the far left is the entrence door, then there's a little bit of space and then the window opening of my bar, followed by a little bit of space and then to the far right is my in wall a/v rack. Well here, here's a pic of it when it was in it's construction process. I have yet to take any recent pics, so I apologize.

You can see where my rear speakers will be placed/positioned and the 820's simply are just too wide for me to make work.

So, my system will consist of the following:

Mains: L890's
    Center: LC2
    Surrounds: L820's
    Rear Surrounds: L810's

Pyro

forgive me for sounding simplistic...but...if you really want them, can you turn the 820 sideways without affecting the acoustics? Don't forget to PM me if you are looking for a great price on the LC2, 810s and 820s. There were a few good prices on the 890s out there but they all got yanked for some reason. I saw them for as low as $472/ea. Looks like JBL is cracking down. In any event, the 880 can be had for a song. PM if you want those too for another room.

Ahh I think I'll be more then happy with 820's for surrounds and 810's for my rear surrounds. In some ways, I kind of think the 810's look just a tad better. lol

PM coming your way.

Pyro

890s

Pyro,
    I am so jealous. I wish I had a room that would accommodate the 890s or an amp for that matter. I really hope you enjoy your equipment when it all gets set up.

Thanks buddy, it's taking me a long time to get my new theater room remodeled. Truth be told, it's still not totally complete, but will be before long.

Those prices via the links you provided me with are almost too good to be true. It sucks that neither of them have that 890's though, but it looks like I can get the rest of my system through those guys at least.

I just wonder if these guys are authorized dealers though? I'd almost hate to buy from an unauthorized dealer and then have something wrong with the speakers. Dealing with warranty issues is a big enough headache as is.

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
    I just wonder if these guys are authorized dealers though? I'd almost hate to buy from an unauthorized dealer and then have something wrong with the speakers. Dealing with warranty issues is a big enough headache as is.
    I don't know who you're planning to deal with. But if you go on the JBL web site they will give you a list of authorized dealers.

Hi John,

This is some store off ebay, so I doubt that they're an authorized dealer, but I do know there are some authorized dealers on ebay, so they might be. It's just something I'll have to check out.

Kurt

Hi John,

This is some store off ebay, so I doubt that they're an authorized dealer, but I do know there are some authorized dealers on ebay, so they might be. It's just something I'll have to check out.

Kurt
    I do not believe the guy on ebay is authorized...but when I thought I had an issue, he was ready to take bay the speakers I received. I actually called and talked to these folks. Yes, i gambled and went the budget route but I recommend you do what makes you most comfortable.

MJC
    Hi John,

Kurt
    I bought my PT800s from a guy in Pittsburg, CA. I don't know thru what channels he bought them, but all 5 were still in the boxes. When I registered them on the JBL web site, I gave them all 5 serial # and told them I got the speakers on ebay, new, still in their boxes. I've never heard back that they wouldn't cover the warranty, if needed.

The pair of L890s I bought at Fry's.

Quote Originally Posted by aht3 View Post
    Yup it is. I want to be as sexy as my speakers
    I've essentially done the same thing with my elliptical. I put it right behind the couch facing the projector screen. Now I exercise every single night, which I didn't do when I had to walk a block to the YMCA every night.

I also exercise longer, as I get lost in a movie or TV or music, and before I know it I've been going for 48-50 minutes. woo-hoo!

It's a great looking set up you have there.

What you guys using to power your Studio's?

I've reviewd the specs on each of the Studio L speakers and just want to make sure I'm going to be ok with the amp I'm planning on upgrading to. Here's the amp in question. Or better put, the one I plan on purchasing.

Quote Originally Posted by MJC View Post
    I bought my PT800s from a guy in Pittsburg, CA. I don't know thru what channels he bought them, but all 5 were still in the boxes. When I registered them on the JBL web site, I gave them all 5 serial # and told them I got the speakers on ebay, new, still in their boxes. I've never heard back that they wouldn't cover the warranty, if needed.

The pair of L890s I bought at Fry's.
    I got mine in boxes and have registered all but the 880...will do today. I have not heard anything back either.

MJC
    What you guys using to power your Studio's?

I've reviewd the specs on each of the Studio L speakers and just want to make sure I'm going to be ok with the amp I'm planning on upgrading to. Here's the amp in question. Or better put, the one I plan on purchasing.
    I've never seen that line of amps before, they look good. The question is how do they sound? For the Studio L series, you don't want a pre/pro, amp combo that is too bright.
    I've had my pair connected to H/K 635/Parasound amp combo. Marantz, Denon receivers.
    When connected to the Parasound's 220wpc the 890s came alive. Even with Denon's 85w, in a lot smaller room, they sound good. All those units are on the warm side.
    Bright amps to bright speakers, I think, would be too much.

I know when I added my PT800 to the HT the LG DVD-A player became useless. Replaced it with a Denon DVD-A player.

The Emotiva amps are not bright amps. They're defiantly more in par with HK/Denon/Pioneer Elite ect... ect...

My concern is that it's not too much power. The MPS-1 is a true card cage design that accommodates up to seven 200 watt mono block power modules (at 8 ohms). Which means 200 watts to each speaker with an 8 ohm load, 300 at 4 ohms.

I just don't want to hurt my new babies once I purchase them. I know it's more then fine for the 890's, but it's the other speakers that I'm concerned about. Thoughts, opinions, anyone?

Thread Information