Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Studio L Series

Thumbs up Thanks

Thank you for posting that.

You have a PM.
    Out.

MJC
    Well this past week I've upgraded the source to the 890s. I tossed out the old Sony receiver and replaced it with a Denon. And then bought a new Shure M97 cartridge, beats the hell out of the Pickering, which was the only one I could find in '89 and then didn't use it much over the years.

So now I've really improved the sound coming from the 890s
    Still trying to decide if I want to spring for B&K phono pre-amp/pre-amp/stereo power amp combo for $2000. That might be over kill for the Studio L 890, thus a waste of cash.

MJC,
    I must be blind but I just noticed that you're from Nevada. Or maybe I did notice it before but I assumed you were down in Las Vegas but now I recall that we listened to the same 890s at the Sac Fry's. I'm really getting ready to buy the 890s with the LC1 and 820 for surround or maybe just the HTI6Cs. It wouldn't hurt to listen to the 890s one more time to seal the deal. Any chance of an in-home demo from you ? You must be in the Reno area right?

Thanks!
    Arv

MJC
    Arv,
    I'm south of Carson City, actually. You're welcome to come over, if you want to make the drive.

Hi MJC,

I'm going to Sac. this weekend. I just want to confirm the Fry's off I-80 have the Studio L's. Also, I have a good friend in Gardenerville that I visit often. Sounds like you are in that area. Maybe we could hook up the next time I'm there?

Mark

MJC
    Hi oznob,
    Ya, that Fry's should have them, unless they sold all they had again.
    Garnerville is in the same valley, about 8 miles south of here.

Thanks for the info John. I may be in your area sometime near the end of October, I'll let you know. My buddy is one of those that sold his modest house in South Shore and moved over the Kingsbury Grade to buy a "Tract Mansion" there. I really like that area but my wife would never go for it. She likes the heat here in Redding. I will be sure and check out Fry's this weekend.

MJC
    That's a fair drive from Redding to Sac. And having worked in and around Redding, I know how hot it gets there. Alot hotter there than it gets here.

John,
    Thanks so much for the offer! But I ordered the speakers the same night of my last post, I was going to be out of town for a while so I just ordered them. Also been extremely busy and have not hooked them up yet but I'll let everyone know how it goes hopefully soon.

I got a pair of L890s, a LC1, and 820s for surrounds all in Cherry.

How much break-in those these puppies need? Do I need to run them the whole day? Cranked up? Hopefully not!

Arv

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Arv
    John,
    How much break-in those these puppies need? Do I need to run them the whole day? Cranked up? Hopefully not!

Arv
    It took about a week or so to break in my L890s, playing them in the mornings, before leaving for work. Then in the evenings, for a couple of hours.
    I haven't heard the LC1, but I did listen to the L820s and thought they would make good surrounds.

I wanted the LC2 but its size was just not going to work out. So I had to settle with the LC1. I even have to lift my ent center bridge about an inch to fit the LC1, damm TV is too big I don't have much space above it.

A friend of mine told me that the highs will be a little bit less bright after the break-in period.

I might end up getting another pair of 890s in the near future and build a pillar to hide them in. Maybe even put a light sconce on top . Sad to hide these beauties but this is a requirement for WAF .

Smile Way to go.

Congrats, Arv. Can we see a picture or two?
    Out.

Frustrated!!!

I'm off tomorrow, wife's working, perfect day for a to the Sac. Fry's to check out the Studio L's. Well, after the third call, I finally got someone who's english I could understand. He checked the computer, several times, and asked me, several times, to confirm the brand and model numbers. Then he asked me if they were new items. Finally he said they didn't have any in stock but they had a lot of other speakers like Polk, Bose etc.. So, I have the money, want to audition the speakers and, likely buy them but sounds like that ain't gonna happen any time soon soon! Any suggestions would be appreciated!

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by oznob
    So, I have the money, want to audition the speakers and, likely buy them but sounds like that ain't gonna happen any time soon soon! Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    I wouldn't go by what anyone on the phone tells you. I was told there weren't any, but decided to take the drive to Sac anyway.
    When I get there I see the L820s and a center but no L890 or L880s. A sale guy comes in the sound room so I ask if there are any L890s. He looks on the computer and said "yes there are", I ask "why aren't they on display?" So he brings a pair out so I can do an audition.

Thanks for the encouraging words John. I may take the risk and make the drive? Give me an excuse to go by The Guitar Center and Skip's Music also.

Thread Information