Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Studio L Series

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Looks like all may not be lost with the 908Ti after all.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=12006

Thanks to Techbot for the contribution.
    10-4 ( thanks techbot!!)

I'll be studing it in more detail later and run some numbers.....

One thing I was surprised at was the dip just under 200.

If the PS "deal" had gone thru I was thinking about using two 800's for center channel crossed over to a bass/midbass ( I have two new 2206's sitting around, that are going to be sold if I can't find something to use them for) and see how it sounds. I was wanting a little "more" on the bottom-end ( 80 to 160-200) But wasn't sure where to cross them. Those numbers sure do help.

Now, if only we could get the numbers for the rest of the PS series

personally I just can't see using them for any "full" range use or for bass when we have so many good transducers already available, in particaular the big dip under 80. it would be like using E130s, 2220s, 2012s, 2020s, 2227s or 2123s midbass/midrange speakers and expecting big bass.

Dome, I quess the only way to tell is to simply test it ( Oh no not the empirical thing again). Just take two 800 and run them all out with lots of volumn as left and rights for some music or movies and let us know if they rip apart, sound weak or sound good. ( on second thought no, don't do it )

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    (snip)

personally I just can't see using them for any "full" range use or for bass when we have so many good transducers already available, in particaular the big dip under 80. it would be like using E130s, 2220s, 2012s, 2020s, 2227s or 2123s midbass/midrange speakers and expecting big bass.
    I don't know why one would use any 8" or 10" driver for big bass. None really delivers, not even Bose. (It's a joke kids, put down the flamethrowers.)

In pairs, the situation is improved, but still not ideal. I think even a pair of L890s would benefit from a sub. Heck, I used to run SVA1800s with a sub (LE120H-1) because those ball-busting STUDIO8 drivers didn't deliver at the low end to my satisfaction.

The intrigue for the 908Ti is being able to have a matched set of drivers from 50, 60, or 80Hz all the way up to 27kHz or higher.
    Out.

Unhappy Experiment

Dome, I quess the only way to tell is to simply test it ( Oh no not the empirical thing again). Just take two 800 and run them all out with lots of volumn as left and rights for some music or movies and let us know if they rip apart, sound weak or sound good. ( on second thought no, don't do it )
    I have two unmounted 908Tis on the bench right now, running a sweep from 24Hz to 200Hz using FFT through the AE2000. They didn't perform so well below 48Hz, so I'm thinking it's a power issue.

Here let me take the 200W/ch offline and sub in the 600W/ch amp. Hmm. Getting closer. They respond to the power.

Let's insert the DX4200 and auto-bridge the amp to 1200W and pump it all into one 908Ti. Wow! At moderate volume it's really handling the lower freqs pretty well; let's see if we can get a little more out of it. OH DA#N IT! :shock: THE INVERTED DOME JUST POPPED!! IT ACTUALLY RIPPED A $UCKIN% HOLE THROUGH THE DOME ABOUT 1.5" IN DIAMETER RIGHT IN THE CENTER. #UCK, #UCK, #UCK! &@DDA#M IT RICK. WHY WOULD YOU SUGGEST THAT? WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU MAN? (I NEVER READ ANYTHING IN PARENTHESIS. MISSED YOUR WARNING, DA##IT!) I"M SCREWED, SCREWED I TELL YOU.

The above is a dramatization of what happens when clueless dorks try to act like scientists or engineers. Kids, please leave the experiments to the experts, or you too could kill innocent drivers.

Your friend, TD.

Out.

The above is a dramatization of what happens when clueless dorks try to act like scientists or engineers. Kids, please leave the experiments to the experts, or you too could kill innocent drivers.

Your friend, TD.

Yes, it's really embarrssing when things "POP" and "EXPLODE" prematurely and unexpectedly !!!

I think even a pair of L890s would benefit from a sub.

From what I've heard they would....I would cross them over at around 60 or so

The intrigue for the 908Ti is being able to have a matched set of drivers from 50, 60, or 80Hz all the way up to 27kHz or higher.
    I know what you mean, I've thought about it too, BUT, on second thought there are other options out there and not just JBL's transducers. Maybe some of the Aluminum or composite woofers for fast speed to maybe match the Ti's. Two to three 10" ( or Four 8") AL/composite woofers would do pretty good.

maybe, just maybe you could get a little lower..but at what cost??? besides that dip just below 80 doesn't look to hot....

MJC
    10-4 ( thanks techbot!!)

If the PS "deal" had gone thru I was thinking about using two 800's for center channel crossed over to a bass/midbass ( I have two new 2206's sitting around, that are going to be sold if I can't find something to use them for) and see how it sounds. I was wanting a little "more" on the bottom-end ( 80 to 160-200) But wasn't sure where to cross them. Those numbers sure do help.
    You NEVER want to use two speakers for a center channel, you know, comb filtering.

MJC
    I think even a pair of L890s would benefit from a sub.
    For music only, which is what I've been using the 890s for most of a month, I think there is plenty of bass. And remember, I'm used to listening to music with a full L212/B212 system.
    Now if you were to use a complete Studio L system(pair of 890s, center and two or four 820s for surrounds), for movies, then yes, you would want to add a sub.

Quote Originally Posted by MJC
    You NEVER want to use two speakers for a center channel, you know, comb filtering.
    I want to all the time( and yes, I'm aware of what you are talking about)..BUT it has to be done correctly and is not easy to setup( bigger speakers work best - small speakers are very hard). But that's just me. Most people have their center speakers above or below the screen so when something pans across, the image moves up ( or down) when it reaches the center. IF you can get it setup correctly ( IF now) with two speakers either beside the screen ( or one above and one below) the image is dead center and balanced across all speakers. Also, the feel of the movie experience is..well...bigger...

I first learned about this at the biggest hi-end speaker store we have. They had a HT setup like that with two speakers and I asked Tom the owner about it. I pretty much said the same as you.."Yes, but.. " and he explained the theory and application and I listened. He asked if I wanted to go with them and help setup a new customer ( he got free labor I got trained), anyway if done correctly it sounds really good. The trick is to get two speakers to work as one and balanced with the left and rights, it can be done. But I don't expect people to believe it, nor do I care if they do.

Bottom-line...I like two if done correctly ( it can sound really bad if not), but that's a personal thing and not for everyone.

anyway, we're off topic big time.

Quote Originally Posted by MJC
    For music only, which is what I've been using the 890s for most of a month, I think there is plenty of bass. And remember, I'm used to listening to music with a full L212/B212 system.
    I tested a couple of CD's with the L890's and only on the very lowest bass did I hear any weakness or drop off ( I wrote it some where back). The CD I noticed it most with was Boz Scaggs' CD - Dig ( very deep and natural bass). BUT that was in the store ( two locations and setups). Could be different in the home.

I was very impressed with the bass from those dual 8's

MJC
    I was very impressed with the bass from those dual 8's
    I've really been enjoying listening to all my old LPs thru the 890s, but I do need to get a new receiver or amp for them, just haven't decided what brand i want to get.

John, could you remove a woofer and get the model number, please?

A pic or two of it would be helpful, as well.

[Zilch wants to play.... ]

MJC
    I looked at all the drivers and the numbers I saw didn't remind me of any driver #s of the past. All had a 6 digit # starting with 353. The 8" were 353111-001. The frame was stamped 72522 4.
    The Titanium tweeter was 353237-001, and also had 0525.
    The dates were from '05 or '06.

Hmm.

Well, it's not the same tweeter as in the Performance Series. That's 335663-001.
    Out.

MJC
    Well, at least I know I was looking at the right #, being the PS tweeter and the L series # have the number of digits.
    Those numbers are a long way from 066, 045, 035. The studio L tweeter looks like NOTHING, compared to the 066, JBL's most expensive tweeter. But, I do like the sound of Ti.

MJC
    Here is a real photo of the L890
    Name:  L890LS.jpg
Views: 2348
Size:  76.4 KB

Thread Information