Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Studio L Series

MJC
    The more I listen to those Titanium tweeters the better I like them. And I still have not put the grilles on the 890s yet. In fact they're still in their plastic shipping bags.
    So as good as the Studio Ls are, I can only imagine how good the PS are with all Titanium drivers.
    Then again, I remember how much I liked the 250Ti, back in '87.

I remember how much I like the 250TI on a regular basis...

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by MJC
    I can only imagine how good the PS are with all Titanium drivers.

It's amazing and gets better all the time.

Even tho at heart I'm still a Horn guy, I love the PS series

Question I wonder

What that L890 would sound like if the 4" PolyPlas cone were replaced with a 4" Ti inverted dome? In fact in both the L880 and L890, one could swap out the midrange AND replace the 6" or 8" drivers with Ti inverted domes, too.

Of course, the networks would be crackers and need to be rebuilt and all info below 80Hz should go somewhere else, but even so, the drivers do exist for a complete replacement.
    Out.

MJC
    Of course, the networks would be crackers and need to be rebuilt and all info below 80Hz should go somewhere else, but even so, the drivers do exist for a complete replacement
    Think about this, the 890 has two 8" drivers and are already full range. So only replace the mid-range, and one 8" bass with the titanium drivers, and leave the other 8" bass driver to still deliver full range. And build a new CC network for the 2 tweets and 3 drivers.
    Of coarse, getting two 4" and two 8" titanium drivers might be next to impossible or at least quite expensive.

I think it would be a problem design wise. Asking one 8" woofer to do all the base may be a little tough. Not sure on the design of those woofers but I think having only one 8" woofer to try and move the that much air would considerablely weaken the bass response. also, for me anyway, that would be a nightmare of a design change considering the crossover changes and box design.

If I were to build a FRANKIN-PS speaker ( and I will some time) I'll rather use 250 boxes for the PS drivers and maybe throw in an ultra-high on top.

However, it is fun to imagine....

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    I think it would be a problem design wise. Asking one 8" woofer to do all the base may be a little tough. Not sure on the design of those woofers but I think having only one 8" woofer to try and move the that much air would considerablely weaken the bass response. also, for me anyway, that would be a nightmare of a design change considering the crossover changes and box design.

If I were to build a FRANKIN-PS speaker ( and I will some time) I'll rather use 250 boxes for the PS drivers and maybe throw in an ultra-high on top.

However, it is fun to imagine....
    I basically agree with you, though I'm thinking about that 8" driver as it's installed in an enclosed space (PT800) versus how it would act in a ported space like the L890 cabinet. I'm wondering if the 80Hz lower limit is imposed by the enclosure as much as the driver design in the PT800.

IOW, would two 908Ti drivers in a vented enclosure of greater volume be able to operate below 80Hz with no issues?

The current 8" drivers in the L890 claim 28Hz (-6dB) in that enclosure. What if the 908Ti drivers could hit 32Hz or 35Hz in tandem there?

I, too would rather use a 250 enclosure with an LE14H-3 handling the low end, but I'm intrigued by the 908Ti's 80Hz limitation. Since it's only been in one enclosure that I know of, there's no way to know its performance in other applications.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    I basically agree with you, though I'm thinking about that 8" driver as it's installed in an enclosed space (PT800) versus how it would act in a ported space like the L890 cabinet. I'm wondering if the 80Hz lower limit is imposed by the enclosure as much as the driver design in the PT800.

IOW, would two 908Ti drivers in a vented enclosure of greater volume be able to operate below 80Hz with no issues?

The current 8" drivers in the L890 claim 28Hz (-6dB) in that enclosure. What if the 908Ti drivers could hit 32Hz or 35Hz in tandem there?

Dome...

there's a lot that goes into a design for a particular freq range. I'm sure that the excursion on the 908Ti is all wrong to be a woofer. I would believe that if you did that and sent big bass notes to them for any time, they would rip apart.

MJC
    What if the 908Ti drivers could hit 32Hz or 35Hz in tandem there?
    From what Giskard told me, when we were comparing the 908Ti to the 112A/H, the 908 is not designed to go below 80htz. And I have played the 112A, in the L212s, full range, W/O a sub, but the 112 also has only a 6db/oc xover, so it was designed to play lower.
    And I had also thought about there only being one 8" bass in the 890, after I wrote that, thinking it wouldn't be enough.

And I had also thought about there only being one 8" bass in the 890, after I wrote that, thinking it wouldn't be enough.
    I agree, they usually use two small woofers to replace one larger one. Two basic considerations with woofers ( this isn't all of course)..one is the excursion, but also the amount of air moved. One small woofer wouldn't move the amout of air needed to balance the system. also, the two woofers can be used to decrease the drop off level of the lower notes( or increase the sound level of the lower notes - i.e. Drews use of two 2227's in his last design to get it level down to around 80 if I remember correctly), two should increase the sound level by about 3db.

The fact that the 8" woofers in the studio L go to 28 is a sign that they really worked on increasing the excursion of those speakers to handle those notes..most stop at around 35 or so.

The more I listen and think about the studio L the more impressed I am.

From what Giskard told me, when we were comparing the 908Ti to the 112A/H, the 908 is not designed to go below 80htz. And I have played the 112A, in the L212s, full range, W/O a sub, but the 112 also has only a 6db/oc xover, so it was designed to play lower.
    The single 708G-1 in the L5 produces quite a bit of bass, but it really needs a sub to help it get that last octave. The L7 addresses this nicely with the LE120H-1.
    Out.

Make and measure.

L5's 708G-1 is good to 30 Hz (-10 dB) with boundary reinforcement in this closed-box alignment....
    Attached Images Attached Images    

708G-1

When used in the L3 and L5 ported enclosures it was alleged to go down to 35Hz without a problem. I notice JBL didn't specify any + or - dB info.
    Out.

O.K., so what's the 8" woofer in Studio L?

And can we get a pic of it?

I'm not above trying it in Minis if the parameters work.

Thus far, it's the venerable 116A/H I like the best....

Smile 908Ti redux

Looks like all may not be lost with the 908Ti after all.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=12006

Thanks to Techbot for the contribution.
    Out.

Thread Information