Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Studio L Series

MJC
    [Titanium Dome]
    That HK AVR 635 goes well below 20 Hz and beyond 100kHz, so it should be a good match. Yet, I wonder if the older HK gear (or any older gear for that matter) is really prepared to handle auto EQ on speakers that may exceed the expectations of the EQ logic.
    The only problem was what the EQ did to the bass, no good. The highs came in just great. So I left the EQ off, which cut the highs, as if I was using THX processing. I did run the EZSet at least twice, as I moved the 890's positions a couple of times. But in the store, connected to the 745, the highs and bass were good.

Maybe you should reset everything on the 635 to defaults and forget about using the EZ Set/EQ. Tweak it by hand. It could be that the ultra high capabilities of the super tweeter are messing the calibration up. The 645 (sibling of the 745) due next month probably is more capable of handling these brand new speakers with their heretofore unexpected high frequency capability.
    I didn't try a reset, and I always do a tweek, manually, after I run the auto, as the auto does not get it quite right, as far as distances, xovers, large or small settings go.
    But I'm not about to screw up an all L212 7 channel system by replacing the main upgraded 212s with the 890s, even tho they were a lot closer timbre match they I thought they would be. Much closer than when I had the 3 L55s across the front(which gave me a good front, you know, 3 of the same speaker) and the original L212 pair on the sides.
    I do like the sound produced by the L890s, despite the fact, they don't produce the soundstage of the mirrored L212s. So its just comes down to which room I'll keep them in, if I keep them at all. The PS, I'm sure they are not.

And if I was to put them back in the MB again, that I wouldn't do better to exchange them for the L820s. With the 820s mounted to the wall, to the sides of the 32" LCD, and connect them to the PB12, that I'm not using at this time, to save space along that already cluttered wall.
    On the other hand, I do like how they sound with the Sony receiver and Yamaha turntable, in the other BR(formerly a LR).

MJC

I just thought of something, I was reading the brochure for the L series and it shows that the speakers are designed for Bi-amping...meaning that in standard mode they would have those "Brackets-from-hell" connecting the two sets of connects. Check and see if those are on yours ( I'm sure they are). If they are try replacing the brackets with 16 to 18 gauge wire and see if there's a difference in the highs. Of course if you've done this already and I missed it.. sorry

MJC
    The jumpers are still in place. I had thought of taking them off, remembering the discussion of that very thing on the PT800s.
    I still can't decide if I want to keep them or take them back.
    I think I'll do an A,B comparision, using the Sony receiver, since it has A, B connections, between the Studio L and the L55s in the room where the Studio Ls are now. And if I decide that the 890s aren't worth the $1400, leave the L55s there.
    Then I could put a pair of 820s, mounted on the wall to the sides of this 32" LCD screen, connect them to a sub. I listened to the 820s first, at Fry's, and thought that with a sub they'd work fairly well, and a pair is less than the price of one 890.
    And leaving the L55s(there are 3 in this room) in the other room would really help in cleaning out some of the clutter along this wall.

Been considering the L Studio series

I’ve been considering the L series for quite some time now and probably read most of the reviews out there. It’ll be mostly for HT use and occasionally for music listening. These caught my attention because of the ultrahigh-frequency driver (which have received mixed reviews) but in case they do help, then good! So far it seems that they are great speakers for the price with some “shortcomings”. One that really stands out for me (from what I’ve read) is that the LC1 does quite have the oomph for a full blown HT. Is this true? Someone suggested using two, I wonder if that will work out, I do have the space on top of my RPTV (Mitz 73711). Any comments on using two center channel speakers? Apparently they might cause too much interference to each other. Or do I really just need one. The room is about 20x30x10, listening position will be about 15 feet away. The LC2 wouldn’t work; it’ll be too tall to fit between the RPTV and the ent. center bridge, on top would not have a good WAF.

I’m also planning on getting the L890s for L&R (I’m hoping the bass will be enough for 2-channel playback) and 820s for surround music and HTI6C for surround side and back for movies.

I’m also planning to buy the Outlaw 990 and ATI2007 amp to drive these babies. I’m using a Denon 2900 for DVD/CD playback. A major shortcoming I would say would be that the 8400P sub’s low end output, so I’m not getting one. I’m keeping my shiva sonotube (tuned to 22Hz). Also got an old Infinity RS12 servo sub to help out, and half a dozen bass shakers that I haven’t installed since I haven’t “felt” or “not felt” the need for extra bass.

Just wondering if the people who have purchased these speakers are happy with them. How’s everything MJC? Are you going to keep them? I listened to the 890s and 820s briefly at the Sac Frys, I couldn’t find the LC1 or 2 anywhere. Man do those 890s play loud!!! I think my ears were ringing by the time I was out of there! LOL! A bit bright if you’re used to soft domes (I currently have soft dome NHTs) but after a while I guess you’ll get used to them. I also listened to the comparable Polks but it was hard to do a good comparison since they were in different rooms. Another set I am considering are the BG Corp Z series ribbon speakers.

All comments welcome. I need all the input I can get.

One more thing I’m thinking of placing the 890s in the ent. center L&R tower upper cabinets. All I have to do is remove the glass from the door which is held by rubber strips and replace them with speaker grill fabric. Probably need to remove the rear panel to give the 890s some breathing space and lessen the boundary interactions.This added height might even help for panning since this will place the drivers just slightly lower than the center channel. I know these won’t be ideal due to the boundary interactions but its something worth a try since it’s got a great WAF (hence the in-ceiling surrounds) and it will protect my speakers from the two little monsters that run around my place. Has anyone done this with good results?

Thanks!
    Arv

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Arv
    I’ve been considering the L series
    So far it seems that they are great speakers for the price with some “shortcomings”. One that really stands out for me (from what I’ve read) is that the LC1 does quite have the oomph for a full blown HT. Is this true? Someone suggested using two, I wonder if that will work out, I do have the space on top of my RPTV (Mitz 73711). Any comments on using two center channel speakers? Apparently they might cause too much interference to each other. Or do I really just need one. The room is about 20x30x10, listening position will be about 15 feet away. The LC2 wouldn’t work; it’ll be too tall to fit between the RPTV and the ent. center bridge, on top would not have a good WAF.

I’m also planning on getting the L890s for L&R (I’m hoping the bass will be enough for 2-channel playback) and 820s for surround music and HTI6C for surround side and back for movies. .

Just wondering if the people who have purchased these speakers are happy with them. How’s everything MJC? Are you going to keep them? I listened to the 890s and 820s briefly at the Sac Frys, I couldn’t find the LC1 or 2 anywhere. Man do those 890s play loud!!! I think my ears were ringing by the time I was out of there! LOL! A bit bright if you’re used to soft domes (I currently have soft dome NHTs) but after a while I guess you’ll get used to them. I also listened to the comparable Polks but it was hard to do a good comparison since they were in different rooms. Another set I am considering are the BG Corp Z series ribbon speakers.

All comments welcome. I need all the input I can get.

One more thing I’m thinking of placing the 890s in the ent. center L&R tower upper cabinets. All I have to do is remove the glass from the door which is held by rubber strips and replace them with speaker grill fabric. Probably need to remove the rear panel to give the 890s some breathing space and lessen the boundary interactions.This added height might even help for panning since this will place the drivers just slightly lower than the center channel. I know these won’t be ideal due to the boundary interactions but its something worth a try since it’s got a great WAF (hence the in-ceiling surrounds) and it will protect my speakers from the two little monsters that run around my place. Has anyone done this with good results?

Thanks!
    Arv
    As with all speakers, the Studio Ls needed some break-in time. Well after 2 1/2 weeks they are there. Where in the beginning, I had the treble on the EQ way up, I now have the EQ slope flat. The highs have really opened up.
    There is PLENTY of bass, these are NOT bass shy speakers.
    The 890s you listened to in the Sac Fry's are the ones I first listened to, right out of the box. And those rooms are WAY live, not typical of most rooms in a house.
    The more I listen to these 890s the more I like them. I'm just using them in a stereo setup right now, with a turntable.
    I did listen to the 820s for awhile at Fry's and with a sub would work well for surrounds.
    As far the ent. centers go, I'm not big on them. They limit what you can do as far as placement of gear, in particular, speakers. And I don't suggest that you put the 890s in a cabinet, or any speaker, for that matter.
    I thought I saw at least one of the center speakers at Fry's, but I don't remember if it was a LC1 or LC2. And using two center speakers will create a comb filter effect, not something that you want.
    After almost 3 weeks of listening to the 890s, I say buy them.

Thanks for the input John! I definitely agree with you that the room at Frys is WAY live. When I was reading your previous posts (after I listened to the 890s) I was wondering why you were looking for more highs when I thought there was plenty to begin with, so I'm glad to hear that after the break in that you have what you want.

Yeah I think I'm just going to stick with one center ch spkr and see how it goes, from my reseach it seems like its not worth the sonic problems.

regarding placing the 890s in the cabs, I think I'm still going to try it out. The cabs are pretty wide and with the back panel out I don't think I'm going to get a lot or rattling. I'll just have to find the best material I can line the side walls of the cabs. If it does not sound right then I'll just have to put them on the floor.

Keep us posted on your 890s!

Anyone got ideas on what to use as a baffle material for the cab walls?

Thanks!
    Arv

MJC
    For starters how far above the floor will the bottom of the 890s be if you put them into the cab? I ask because when the 890s are on the floor the tweeters are at the correct height when you are seated.
    But if you must put them into the cab, I'd try using styrofoam to line the cab. But remember that the baffle of the speakers needs to be forward of the face of the cabinet, or you'll end up with early reflections off the walls of the cab, equivilent of having speakers placed in a corner. First rule of physic for speakers is; they need space both inside the box(which is why large speakers will always sound better than small speakers, of same quality)and outside the box. I've got my main L/R more than 5' from the side walls and over 3' from the end wall, in my HT.

John,

The 890s will be about 2' above the floor, I may have to wedge the back a little bit to tilt them down to the listening position like how I have my center channel (NHT vs1.2) now.

As for the cabinet walls, I was planning on getting some Sonex acoustical foam tiles but I have not looked into the best material that will absorb the needed frequency range. Do I try to eliminate reflections in the whole audio spectrum or just the mid to high end is the question?

MJC
    The 890s are quite heavy, and therefore, I wouldn't recommend tilting them forward. They have feet that can be used w/wo carpet spikes.
    As far as being close to boundries,(read in cabinet) they have enough bass that they don't need any reinforcement, as speakers get when placed in a corner. So then, the entire baffle needs to be clear of the cabinet, imho.

One the other hand, if you insist on putting speakers into the cab, then you might think about using the 820s instead of the 890s. The 820s only require that you add a sub to get the full spectum of sound, and a pair cost less than one 890.

A positive review in German with good photos

Finally, some decent photos of the Studio L series.

http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2006/...udio_l_1.shtml

Some more nice photos, especially that of the UHF driver

MJC
    I've been saying the last 3 1/2 weeks that these speakers are much better looking than any of the pics on the JBL web site.

And for anyone who is thinking of buying them, and your room would be considered neutral to dead, I suggest really putting the two tweeters thru their paces. If you have a receiver that has a parmetric eq or a stand alone eq, crank up the top half of the audio range(10K+) and really shove it to those tweeters, for the first few days. And then as the sound seems to be too bright back the eq off. I did just that and now I have the eq slope completely flat. In fact the eq is now off, and the highs come thru as when I first had the upper range cranked up.
    And the matching 820s are no slough either for surround speakers or even mains, with a good sub.

Quote Originally Posted by MJC
    The jumpers are still in place. .
    Hey guy if you get a chance, I'll like to hear your opinion using wires ( if I missed this sorry).instead of brackets

now that you are "settled in" try using a good 16 gauge ( braided) wire on one side and leave the bracket on the other one and A/B back and forth

I would think that the wired side would be more smooth and clear.....

would like to know if you have time....

MJC
    I replaced the jumpers with wire, 14ga, I'm not sure that I can hear any difference. I didn't do a l/R test. one jumper on, the other with wire.

Quote Originally Posted by MJC
    I replaced the jumpers with wire, 14ga, I'm not sure that I can hear any difference. I didn't do a l/R test. one jumper on, the other with wire.
    Thanks , I was just wondering..

Thread Information