Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Thread: Studio L Series

Dave have you heard them?
    Hi Nancy,

I have not... which is why I wrote my response the way that I did.
    The only amplifers I have with impedance matching features, do so with
    output transformers, so my listening experience would likely not be relevant
    even if I had L890's.

Why did I suggest starting with the lower impedance setting first?

There is a wide area in the mid-bass that is at or below 5 ohms...
    Much musical energy is concentrated in that region and HT receivers aren't
    often built like tanks. That said, the phase response in the same area
    doesn't do insane things, so it's probably safe to run these at an 8-ohm
    receiver setting, if that happens to sound better and the system isn't
    used to DJ a dance party .

I'd be interested to get your first-hand experience when you've had you're
    L890's to listen to for awhile.

Are my responses in this thread moot? I just noticed that L820's were the subject
    of RKK's question ... I don't find L820 impedance curves to check on, but if JBL
    rated them at 8 ohms nominal, who am I to argue .

-grumpy

If you want to hear them come on by, sorry we never hooked up for you to hear the 4350s, a heart doc owns them now.

Agreeded but , running an HT thing @ 4 ohm will result in higher audio distortion from the ht thing with few units that are bulit to run for long periods of time at such conditions and still not muck up whay the JBL sound is , or so hope to find in the L890s. oh yeah have screwdriver in one hand and meter in the other will check the drivers to see if we have mixed 4/8 ohm or what they really are most likely 6 ohm.

Something of interest to us was when i bought the speakers via online JBL sent out a survey to ask what i wanted to see in the products, my answer was more models offered like the asian market has higher grade cabs.

you know after 3 months i should have a real understanding of what they are as well as not.Ive got a JBL sub out in garage that might get added
    for awhile , such mixed feedback about the bass of these leads me think in my home with all the wood that I wont need it. still its darn hard to find anything that could give the bass of those two 15 inch woofers or the overall performance of the 43xx.

(Are my responses in this thread moot? I just noticed that L820's were the subject
    of RKK's question ... I don't find L820 impedance curves to check on, but if JBL
    rated them at 8 ohms nominal, who am I to argue .)

Sorry, L820 are whole different box, just got so excited knowing that the ups man is coming! wondering where the poster read or saw the 4ohm note ?

-grumpy[/quote]

I don't think your responses are moot. I beelive that the actual tested lower ohm rates are consistent across all the Studio L line, not just the L820s.

I have an older yamaha receiver and it does let me switch between 8 ohms and I believe a 6 ohm setting. I have it set at 8 and have not experimented with my L820's. If I get soem time this week maybe ill try it on the different settings and see if I notice a discernable difference int he sound output.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyJ
    wondering where the poster read or saw the 4ohm note ?
    If im not mistaken he saw it in a professional review of them from australia or new zealand i think.

Quote Originally Posted by ColdFyre22 View Post
    If im not mistaken he saw it in a professional review of them from australia or new zealand i think.
    Found this one and yes they are very low 4 ohm..hmm. I was wrong.

JBL Studio L Series Home Theater Speaker System

Test Bench for Web
    JBL Studio L Series Speaker System

by Tom Nousaine
    Frequency response (at 2 meters)
    front left/right: 84 Hz to 20 kHz ±3.0 dB
    center: 84 Hz to 20 kHz ±3.6 dB
    surround: 84 Hz to 20 kHz ±3.6 dB
    subwoofer: 37 Hz to 110 Hz ±2.1 dB
    Sensitivity (SPL at 1 meter with 2.8 volts of pink-noise input)
    front left/right: 88 dB
    center: 89 dB
    surround: 85 dB
    Impedance (minimum/nominal)
    front left/right: 3.4/4.3 ohms
    center: 3.2/4.4 ohms
    surround: 5.0/8.0 ohms
    Bass limits (lowest frequency and maximum SPL with limit of 10% distortion at 2 meters in a large room)
    front left/right: 80 Hz at 90 dB
    center: 80 Hz at 93 dB
    surround: 80 Hz at 91 dB
    subwoofer: 20 Hz at 85 dB SPL
    104 dB average SPL from 25 to 62 Hz
    112 dB maximum SPL at 62 Hz
    bandwidth uniformity 92%
    All of the curves in the frequency-response graph are weighted to reflect how sound arrives at a listener's ears with normal speaker placement. The curve for the left/right front channels reflects response of the L820 averaged over a ±30° window, with double weight at 30° (the most typical listening angle). The center-channel curve reflects response of the LC2 averaged over ±45°, with double weight directly on-axis of the primary listener. The surround-channel curve shows the response of the L810 averaged over ±60°.
    Satellites
    The L820's offset woofer gives it slightly different directivity to its left and right sides. The roughness at 3 kHz and above was evident in either case, but the mild depression between 200 Hz and 1.5 kHz when the microphone was moved toward the central listening position (shown) was replaced with a moderate elevation between 200 and 800 Hz when the microphone was moved toward the outside of the speaker.
    The LC2 had a similar response shape, but its symmetrical woofers and the vertical array of its midrange driver and tweeter provided tightly controlled directivity in the horizontal plane. Likewise the L810 surround, which again had a highly similar response shape - but that helps ensure that direct and reflected sound from all channels will have the same timbre.
    Note that the LC-1 and L820 showed somewhat low minimum and nominal impedance - significantly lower than their published specification of 8 ohms nominal. Users should be mindful of that when matching these speakers with a receiver or power amplifier.
    Subwoofer
    The L8400P subwoofer's bass limits were measured with it set to maximum bandwidth and placed in the optimal corner of a 7,500-cubic-foot room. In a smaller room users can expect 2 to 3 Hz deeper extension and up to 3 dB higher sound-pressure level (SPL).
    The L8400P had 109 to 112 dB SPL capability from 50 to 62 Hz at 2 meters (the optimal seating distance from a subwoofer). But output fell at nearly 16 dB per octave below 50 Hz. And although it had useful response up to 145 Hz when the LFE input was used, upper-frequency bandwidth was more limited with the Normal inputs selected than the dial markings or specifications suggest. There was also a moderate (-4-dB) crossover/level-control interaction over the full range of the crossover control as the selected frequency was lowered.

Hi Nancy and everyone else. Yes, that is the review where I saw the impedance levels on the L820. I Have not purchased my home theater receiver yet. I will do so in the Spring. I'm still not sure what to get. Never the less, I was doing some research and noticed the discrepancies between manufacturer listed and actual impenance levels. It certainly makes sense to evaluate which setting to use based on comparing them to some of my favorite music.

Not being an expert on this, I was wondering if this lower impednace is a factor when deciding on the purchase of a "decent" quality receiver. I have about a $ 2,000 maximum budget for the receiver. Maybe at that price level this is not a factor. Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks,RKK

Quote Originally Posted by RKK View Post
    Hi Nancy and everyone else. Yes, that is the review where I saw the impedance levels on the L820. I Have not purchased my home theater receiver yet. I will do so in the Spring. I'm still not sure what to get. Never the less, I was doing some research and noticed the discrepancies between manufacturer listed and actual impenance levels. It certainly makes sense to evaluate which setting to use based on comparing them to some of my favorite music.

Not being an expert on this, I was wondering if this lower impednace is a factor when deciding on the purchase of a "decent" quality receiver. I have about a $ 2,000 maximum budget for the receiver. Maybe at that price level this is not a factor. Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks,RKK
    In my own (and in no way professional and sometimes dimwitted) opinion, and from what ive read, I think you should be OK with a good receiver. A good quality receiver with nice hiqualioty and beefy amplifiers in it should be able to handle those transient bursts in the frequency range where the speakers dip into low ohms without clipping. Higher end receivers with good amps and power transformers etc can usually take the strain of functioning at lower ohms without heating up as much or dying on you like a flimsier receiver.

You guys these are so wondeful, been listening to the l890 for a couple of hours and you could drive them with a poogo stick and they'd still shine.

Those fine gentlemen at JBL THANK YOU for the L series!
    Once again. Now can i have real wood cabs below 3k a pair?

Dave dont stop run and hear these , the details and emotion is like the good stuff from before 43xx with a audiophile edge. I am so impressed,
    these do that thing I love which is when I am taken away in the music and i forget about myself.blown away.

I think that midrange depression might be caculated to build the impact of the music, so much pop and rock has a build/hook spot right about there.
    In this case perfectly flat may not be so exciting.
    More cab dampening would really help, but we knew that ?
    These can give the goose bumps as well as bring the tears of joy..
    Well done. So glad I did'nt buy those italian jobbies.

JBL must make a very big profit on pro stuff to able sell these at the prices they do. gosh i won't mention other brands but these make me laugh at a few euro brands 4x the price.

These might the ultimate making love speakers! what fun! no i did not say sex.

let me get over the excitment so i can return to my meters and more serious perceptions.

Anyone know if JBL uses an assembly lube? i smell something coming off the woofers.. heh..hehh
    driving them with a reinforced D. hafler amp. is that smoke?

these do that thing I love which is when I am taken away in the music and i forget about myself.
    So you like them, then?

Very happy for you !

Quote Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post
    Anyone know if JBL uses an assembly lube? i smell something coming off the woofers.. heh..hehh
    driving them with a reinforced D. hafler amp. is that smoke?
    JBLs and Hafler amps, that's a pretty good combo. I drive pairs of L7s, XPL200s, and L250s with Hafler SR2600s, and they do smoke... lots of clean, fast power and excellent bandwidth.

If you see real smoke, turn it down.

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyJ
    You guys these are so wondeful, been listening to the l890 for a couple of hours and you could drive them with a poogo stick and they'd still shine.
    You are so right, after I bought a pair of L890s I bought a Denon digital receiver that only did 85wpc, as I had them setup in a small room. Listening to vinyl I had the volume set between -12 ~ 0db. When I had them in the bigger ht room they were getting 220w.

Going???

It appears the Studio L Series is going the way of the Dodo. There has been a "fire sale" on ebay from dealers and Harman direct. Looks like it's so long for a very good line of JBL speakers! The good news for new buyers is you can get some at less than half of the retail price.
    Past practice indicates future behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by oznob View Post
    It appears the Studio L Series is going the way of the Dodo. There has been a "fire sale" on ebay from dealers and Harman direct. Looks like it's so long for a very good line of JBL speakers! The good news for new buyers is you can get some at less than half of the retail price.
    So if their time is up, what like will replace them? I've only started looking at speakers for a multimedia/game room in my basement and have decided the L series at their low price point suits me well. Even though I am far from being complete, I am wondering if now might be the time to get a set of these and stash them away until I am ready.

Originally, I was considering buying a set of used NorthRidge E series, did some research on the Venue series, and finally wound up here. I've not listened to any of them yet, but the reviews are glowing.

Thoughts?

Welcome!

Hi and welcome to the forum! I would certainly opt for the Studio L series over The Northridge series. Better drivers, better cabinets and better overall sound IMHO. At the current prices they are a real bargain!
    Past practice indicates future behavior.

Ok, so I just received a set of L890 from the E guy on that well known auction site. I open one of them up, and there is some kind of foam/insulation on the inside of the speaker (looking thru the bass port), that has come apart from the side. It looks alot like carpet pad. It appears as though it used to be glued to the inside wall of the speaker (can see glue "squiggle"), but it has come off.

Does this matter? Should I try to refasten it somehow? I could probably take off the back speaker panel connector so I could get my hand in there and perhaps reglue it (this would probably void warranty). My wife can stick her hand thru the bass port and move things around a bit, but there's not much she could do.

Thread Information