Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Studio L Series

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Arrow Studio L Series

So it won't be obscured by the Array Series discussion, I wanted to get the new Studio L Series some air time. It's no slouch.

So here we go!

http://www.cinenow.com/us/article.php3/id,1838/
    Out.

Smile Studio L Series

For an extended view, go here. Don't be fooled by the beginning; keep reading until you get to the loudspeaker specific information.

http://blog.ce-pro.com/news/products/2131.html
    Out.

Smile Studio L Series

All right, look at the value equation on these babies. It's fantastic.

Cost-wise these slot in above the E Series and just barely above the HT Series. It meshes pretty well price wise with the current Studio Series, but it's a whole lot more. It's a full-bodied series with real towers and a real center, which the Studio Series lacks.

It appears that it's a lot more value than either the HT or the Studio Series, and IMO fills a big consumer gap between the E Series and the Performance Series. The HT Series and Studio Series may not be long for this world.

In fact, it might be a better value equation than the Performance Series, though until I hear it, that's pure conjecture. Can it beat the PS? Well, of course not because those "PolyPlas™ polymer-coated-cellulose-fiber cone" drivers are my third favorite. #1? Ti inverted domes, of course!

Still the prices are far less than half the PS prices...
    Out.

At first I was pleased to see the return of the Studio series, they were the speakers that I liked to reccomend to friends. (S-38 in particular)
    But now I'm just annoyed. They have added a useless super tweeter that no human will be able to hear. Crossover frequency at 20 Khz? They couldn't find any better way to spend the money than to add this useless marketing gimmick? How many engineers must have protested this nonsense? It must be the Monster cable effect, they figure that if Monster can make millions selling improvements that no one can actually hear, they should get in on the act too. It's another decision that puts marketing ahead of sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C
    They have added a useless super tweeter that no human will be able to hear. Crossover frequency at 20 Khz? They couldn't find any better way to spend the money than to add this useless marketing gimmick? .
    to be fair we must look at the big picture here. It takes years to brainstorm, design, test prototypes, redesign, setup production and produce a speaker. In fact the speaker you see being released today may have it's beginning in brainstorming back in 2001 or 2002 or even earlier.

at that time the mantra for the entire industry was:
    SACD and DVD-audio
    SACD and DVD-audio
    SACD and DVD-audio
    SACD and DVD-audio

reproduce the entire spectrum from 20 to 50,000!!!!

Look at the current K2 and it too was following this mantra ( ahead of other speakers) and of course one of the purposes of the statement speakers is to provide R&D for new ideas and technogies that will over the next few years trickle down into the less expensive speakers lines.

So my point here is that the super tweeter you see today in the Studio L speakers is not just a cheap marketing ploy, but instead an attemp to incorporate the latest tech in the mass speaker lines( altho in a less expensive implemenation). And any company who takes pride in their products will NEVER allow their products to appear OLD TECH. they just can't do it in todays market.

Also, we must understand the general purpose or rational behind the studio speaker line( if I understand this correctly). If the Northridge series is the general speaker for the masses, then the studio line is their "Statement Speaker" for the masses, incorporating as much new tech from their studio and high-end statement speakers as possible but at a much less expensive implemenation.

so I'm really liking what they have done and I'm looking forward to hearing these puppies and I will most likely buy some when they're out ( have to sell something else first)

well, got to go to work. I'll write more later if I get the time.

Hey, JBL thanks for the new speakers..we love ya..

Hi DRG or Techbot: ( I hope you see this)

I have some questions I wanted to ask about in the Array thread ( because I know someone from JBL is looking) However, since the Array thread has been closed??????? I have to go here.

1. Are there White Papers or a Brochure for the new Studio L series ( scans or PDF would be OK)
    2. Are the Studio L series going to be in Best Buy or other mass market stores like the previous studio series was at Best Buy some time ago and what is the release date on them?

Thanks.....

Quote Originally Posted by Don C
    At first I was pleased to see the return of the Studio series, they were the speakers that I liked to reccomend to friends. (S-38 in particular)
    But now I'm just annoyed. They have added a useless super tweeter that no human will be able to hear.
    Couple of salient points here:

1) Just because the crossover point is 20KHz, does NOT mean that there IS NOT any output BELOW 20KHz. Most likely, these will have a first-order slope... which means their output will only be 9 dB down at 10KHz. Still enough to augment a falling response from a dome tweeter (they all tend to "roll over" at 15KHz or so, noticably, at least those capable of low end heft (ie, crossover points lower than 2.5KHz for the main tweeter).

2) Even IF they only primarily only operate above 20KHz, there are STILL SIGNIFICANT PHASE CONSIDERATIONS, down to TWO OCTAVES below that. To get a system linear (ie, NO drop off between 20 and 40KHz) in the upper range, will GREATLY help the phase response of the system, even down to 5kHz.

3) and the proof being in the pudding and all that... I've HEARD the difference made, with adding supertweeters to speakers "nominally rated" to go up to 20KHz already. Even very highly-regarded speakers such as Martin-Logan Prodigys, have AUDIBLY benefited, in my direct first-hand experience, from the addition of a supertweeter such as the Tannoy ST100 or the LCY 100K ribbon supertweeter. The surprising thing? The BIGGEST percieved benefit, is in BASS FEEl... the actual perception of TRANSIENTS in the BASS, such as the plucking of an upright bass, and such. It simply, to say it in normal terms, makes bass MORE LIKE LIFE. And this difference has been shown to exist on SEVERAL different types of speakers, here at my location.. adding the supertweeters to Tannoy S10s, JBL L100s, EV 12TRXbs (which already had modified crossovers, which "propped up" their response to around 18 or 19KHz!)... a wide variety of different models...

Don't discount the potential benefit of a supertweeter, just because old textbook thinking says they're "unnecesary". Heck, at one point "conventional wisdom" also said you didn't need response below 30 Hz either. Funny how things change, as the ability to MEET NEW PERFORMANCE levels readily, comes about...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonW
    Couple of salient points here:

1) Just because the crossover point is 20KHz, does NOT mean that there IS NOT any output BELOW 20KHz

3) the actual perception of TRANSIENTS in the BASS, such as the plucking of an upright bass, and such. It simply, to say it in normal terms, makes bass MORE LIKE LIFE. And this difference has been shown to exist on SEVERAL different types of speakers, here at my location.. .
    Exactly, it is the transients and upper harmonics that tell us much of the character of what we hear, even the bass. My experience follows alone the same lines. AND thats' one of the reasons why I'm so excited about these new speakers. It's exactly what they needed to do. I'm also glad to see some internal bracing and other things.

robpatton

Exclamation Head to Head

I found the Studio L series to be a very strong contender when faced with other stiff competition. Both the Project Array and the Studio L series speakers have the sound of the K2 at fractions of the prices. I highly recommend both speakers to anyone intersted in them. I look forward to getting more involved on this site and I have lots to offer, I feel! Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Cool Well now

Quote Originally Posted by robpatton
    I found the Studio L series to be a very strong contender when faced with other stiff competition. Both the Project Array and the Studio L series speakers have the sound of the K2 at fractions of the prices. I highly recommend both speakers to anyone intersted in them. I look forward to getting more involved on this site and I have lots to offer, I feel! Thanks!
    Welcome Rob.

Those are some interesting pictures. Can you tell us a little more about the where and what of each? I mean, after all, that's about $54k worth of K2s there.

Thanks!
    Out.

robpatton

All over the House

Thanks for the welcome!!

The where seems to be everywhere...according to my wife. It take a graceful dance to navigate my home without tripping over a cable, speaker or amplifier. My son has learned to swing from the cables like a small monkey.

I have many K2 9800 SEs and regulars for some time. The prices are up to 30K for a pair now for the SEs, BTW. I have just received the Array 14s and the Studio Ls last week. I am running them with Cello Performance II amplifiers(400WPC @ 4 Ohm), an Esoteric UX-3 CD/DVD, an Anthem AVM 30 for the Pre and Silver Litz interconnects and Litz speaker cables. The K2s are one of the best speakers I have found anywhere at any price range and would recommend them first if the budget allows. On a lower budget the Array 14s are the next in line and then the Array 800 with subwoofer assistance needed. On limited budgets, the Studio L series brings the pack home nicely.

Regards,

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Smile L880

I listened to the L880s at Fry's Electronics today. Due to the almost complete lack of qualified and interested sales associates, I got to spend as much time as I wanted fiddling with them.

Let me start by stating that the room was barely acceptable, and the speakers were much too far apart. However, I went ahead and moved them to a few positions of my liking to get a better appreciation of them.

Since they're dual 6" woofers speakers, I also moved the EOL/NLA Northridge E80s over for a bit of comparison. The E80s were available at closeout for $79 each, while the L880s were at full retail of $699 each.

The E80s held up quite well, but were clearly not in the same league, especially on the high end. However, even the E80's dual 6" woofers were clearly not as capable as those in the L880.

I listened to some music from the 50s, 70s, 90s, and today to get a feel for the voicing and timbre. The L880 was very strong in the midrange, upper midrange, and highs. At any volume level, its tweeter was very good, and the midrange driver seemed to be effortless in its delivery. The sound was just there.

Running through an HK receiver, the sound was well balanced, clean, and articulate. However, on some of the older material (do wop in particular), the weak quality of the recordings tended to make the midrange voices a bit sharp and the highs were what I'd call shrill. I didn't notice this on any of the other music, though I certainly listened for it after that. I'd say this is a case of the speaker not hiding anything.

I was able to drive these speakers to very loud levels with no problems. I heard no break up, though occasionally I heard attacks and decays that could have been cleaner. Sometimes it seemed like there were very minor time/phase issues, which cleared up with proximity to the speakers.

The weak link was the lower bass, but with 6" woofers, this was no surprise. I avoided adding a sub to the mix, so I could see if my hearing adjusted to the sound. After awhile, I could hear that the bass was there, just not in abundance. The woofers were agile and accurate, but not low by any means.

I mentioned above that I also used the E80 as a touchstone for performance. The most curious thing was what happened in the high frequencies. The L880 has the mini-horn UHF tweeter, which I'm certain I couldn't hear if my life depended on it. However, the high frequencies I could hear sounded so much more accurate, that I wonder if the UHF driver was having an effect on the tweeter's response.

There was a distinctly better high frequency sound from the L880. Better tweeter? Probably. UHF influence? Don't know.

The L880 is a very nice speaker, but it's not full-range by my definition. Still it's only $700 in today's dollars. So to compare it to a full-range L7 or XPL200 wouldn't be fair. It suffers in comparison to them, but is a great speaker to occupy the middle ground in the consumer space. Add a sub, and you have a full-range system.
    Out.

L880 appearance

Many have commented that the speaker looks tacky or cheap. Fortunately, it looks much better in person.

The finish is the all-too-familiar vinyl black ash. The edges of the relatively slim enclosure are rounded in a pleasing way. The grilles stand out from the baffle by a small space, and they have a nice, firm feel to them. They remove easily.

The drivers do look a bit gaudy, but not overbearingly so. The photos we normally see tend to exaggerate the look.

Probably the only thing I didn't like were the "feet." If I bought a pair of these, I'd paint the feet black (or take them off).
    Out.

New Member - Requesting Opinons on the new L Series

Hi all,

I'd like to tell, intially, that it was a pleasure to discover this forum.
    Matter of fact, it was something I was looking for - long ago - and I consider it as the real place to be, to the all of us, good'n ol' JBL fans!

Well, my current setting comprises the following speakers (7.1 system):

Mains = Northrigde ND 310
    Center = S Center
    Surrounds = S 38II
    S Back = N 28II
    Woofer = PB -12,

all being powered by a Denon 3805 AVR.

Quite recently, I've upgraded my system and now I'm using another woofer instead ( SVS PB 10 - ISD). I'm also considering the possibility of upgrading the mains & center channel and the new Studio L range seems to be a considerable upgrade of what I have now.

There's something I'd like to discuss about the new L series; i.e., I have read that they're basically all 4 Ohm load (altough specs states 8 Ohm loads), so that could somewhat overload the AVR, if pushed hardly, right?

In other hand, I know of several people using 4 Ohm speakers with the 3805 and have not had any problems, so far. Perhaps that sounds just like " to be in the safe side" and go for an external amp, right?

I have to say that I'm pretty satisfied with my current speakers, but I feel like the L Series are the end of the line on my wish list.
    My room is not that big either, so I was thinking of only changing the mains & center, that's all.

By the way, what's the real need of a FULL RANGE FLOORSTANDERS nowadays, when the woofer takes care about the heavy burden??
    I truly believe that this theory does make sense, mainly after the "sub woofer advent" on multi channel HT systems.

More & more you see people going with bookshelves for the mains, with pretty amazing results... (have to admit that I'm the ol' fashioned guy who still prefers big floorstanders though... isn't time for a change now??).

I'm re-configuring my HT room (as I've got a new HDTV set as well), so I'll be posting some pictures pretty soon for you guys, in order to evaluate my needs and chime back with your toughts.

In the meantime, I'd appreciate to have some feed-back on my comments.

Cheers / Avliner.

Quote Originally Posted by avliner
    By the way, what's the real need of a FULL RANGE FLOORSTANDERS nowadays, when the woofer takes care about the heavy burden??
    I truly believe that this theory does make sense, mainly after the "sub woofer advent" on multi channel HT systems.

More & more you see people going with bookshelves for the mains, with pretty amazing results... (have to admit that I'm the ol' fashioned guy who still prefers big floorstanders though... isn't time for a change now??).
    Notwithstanding the increasingly pervasive mischaracterization of just about any woofer as "subwoofer," few floorstanders incorporate a sub in the true sense of crossing and operating exclusively below 100 Hz.

Can most bookshelves get down to 80-100 Hz ? Yup.

Do they integrate well with a separate sub? Only if designed as a system, I'd say, and that includes whatever is doing the bass management.

Current practice is to stack the bookshelf on top of a subwoofer, in effect, creating a "modular" floorstander. DUH!!

Thread Information