Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Studio L Series

Arrow Studio L Series

So it won't be obscured by the Array Series discussion, I wanted to get the new Studio L Series some air time. It's no slouch.

So here we go!

http://www.cinenow.com/us/article.php3/id,1838/
    Out.

Smile Studio L Series

For an extended view, go here. Don't be fooled by the beginning; keep reading until you get to the loudspeaker specific information.

http://blog.ce-pro.com/news/products/2131.html
    Out.

Smile Studio L Series

All right, look at the value equation on these babies. It's fantastic.

Cost-wise these slot in above the E Series and just barely above the HT Series. It meshes pretty well price wise with the current Studio Series, but it's a whole lot more. It's a full-bodied series with real towers and a real center, which the Studio Series lacks.

It appears that it's a lot more value than either the HT or the Studio Series, and IMO fills a big consumer gap between the E Series and the Performance Series. The HT Series and Studio Series may not be long for this world.

In fact, it might be a better value equation than the Performance Series, though until I hear it, that's pure conjecture. Can it beat the PS? Well, of course not because those "PolyPlas™ polymer-coated-cellulose-fiber cone" drivers are my third favorite. #1? Ti inverted domes, of course!

Still the prices are far less than half the PS prices...
    Out.

At first I was pleased to see the return of the Studio series, they were the speakers that I liked to reccomend to friends. (S-38 in particular)
    But now I'm just annoyed. They have added a useless super tweeter that no human will be able to hear. Crossover frequency at 20 Khz? They couldn't find any better way to spend the money than to add this useless marketing gimmick? How many engineers must have protested this nonsense? It must be the Monster cable effect, they figure that if Monster can make millions selling improvements that no one can actually hear, they should get in on the act too. It's another decision that puts marketing ahead of sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C
    They have added a useless super tweeter that no human will be able to hear. Crossover frequency at 20 Khz? They couldn't find any better way to spend the money than to add this useless marketing gimmick? .
    to be fair we must look at the big picture here. It takes years to brainstorm, design, test prototypes, redesign, setup production and produce a speaker. In fact the speaker you see being released today may have it's beginning in brainstorming back in 2001 or 2002 or even earlier.

at that time the mantra for the entire industry was:
    SACD and DVD-audio
    SACD and DVD-audio
    SACD and DVD-audio
    SACD and DVD-audio

reproduce the entire spectrum from 20 to 50,000!!!!

Look at the current K2 and it too was following this mantra ( ahead of other speakers) and of course one of the purposes of the statement speakers is to provide R&D for new ideas and technogies that will over the next few years trickle down into the less expensive speakers lines.

So my point here is that the super tweeter you see today in the Studio L speakers is not just a cheap marketing ploy, but instead an attemp to incorporate the latest tech in the mass speaker lines( altho in a less expensive implemenation). And any company who takes pride in their products will NEVER allow their products to appear OLD TECH. they just can't do it in todays market.

Also, we must understand the general purpose or rational behind the studio speaker line( if I understand this correctly). If the Northridge series is the general speaker for the masses, then the studio line is their "Statement Speaker" for the masses, incorporating as much new tech from their studio and high-end statement speakers as possible but at a much less expensive implemenation.

so I'm really liking what they have done and I'm looking forward to hearing these puppies and I will most likely buy some when they're out ( have to sell something else first)

well, got to go to work. I'll write more later if I get the time.

Hey, JBL thanks for the new speakers..we love ya..

Hi DRG or Techbot: ( I hope you see this)

I have some questions I wanted to ask about in the Array thread ( because I know someone from JBL is looking) However, since the Array thread has been closed??????? I have to go here.

1. Are there White Papers or a Brochure for the new Studio L series ( scans or PDF would be OK)
    2. Are the Studio L series going to be in Best Buy or other mass market stores like the previous studio series was at Best Buy some time ago and what is the release date on them?

Thanks.....

Second!

Yes, I'll second that request.
    Out.

Hey Dome:

any idea why the Array thread was closed????

I suspect because it turned into JBL bashing....

At first I was pleased to see the return of the Studio series, they were the speakers that I liked to reccomend to friends. (S-38 in particular)
    But now I'm just annoyed. They have added a useless super tweeter that no human will be able to hear.
    Couple of salient points here:

1) Just because the crossover point is 20KHz, does NOT mean that there IS NOT any output BELOW 20KHz. Most likely, these will have a first-order slope... which means their output will only be 9 dB down at 10KHz. Still enough to augment a falling response from a dome tweeter (they all tend to "roll over" at 15KHz or so, noticably, at least those capable of low end heft (ie, crossover points lower than 2.5KHz for the main tweeter).

2) Even IF they only primarily only operate above 20KHz, there are STILL SIGNIFICANT PHASE CONSIDERATIONS, down to TWO OCTAVES below that. To get a system linear (ie, NO drop off between 20 and 40KHz) in the upper range, will GREATLY help the phase response of the system, even down to 5kHz.

3) and the proof being in the pudding and all that... I've HEARD the difference made, with adding supertweeters to speakers "nominally rated" to go up to 20KHz already. Even very highly-regarded speakers such as Martin-Logan Prodigys, have AUDIBLY benefited, in my direct first-hand experience, from the addition of a supertweeter such as the Tannoy ST100 or the LCY 100K ribbon supertweeter. The surprising thing? The BIGGEST percieved benefit, is in BASS FEEl... the actual perception of TRANSIENTS in the BASS, such as the plucking of an upright bass, and such. It simply, to say it in normal terms, makes bass MORE LIKE LIFE. And this difference has been shown to exist on SEVERAL different types of speakers, here at my location.. adding the supertweeters to Tannoy S10s, JBL L100s, EV 12TRXbs (which already had modified crossovers, which "propped up" their response to around 18 or 19KHz!)... a wide variety of different models...

Don't discount the potential benefit of a supertweeter, just because old textbook thinking says they're "unnecesary". Heck, at one point "conventional wisdom" also said you didn't need response below 30 Hz either. Funny how things change, as the ability to MEET NEW PERFORMANCE levels readily, comes about...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    I suspect because it turned into JBL bashing....
    I was afraid of that......It's just that it can be frustrating for us fans when we can't find what we love. I'm sure there are many things we don't know about and in our ignorance we bash ...sigh,

Anyway, I really hope that Best Buy or another store will carry the new Sudio L line. Really looks exciting and I'm sure they would sell well.

I bought the Studio S312 ( wish I had bought the 412 also) back about 41/2 ( or 5) years ago and I'm still amazed at how good it sounds and the price - WOW - what a bargin. They really sound as good or better than speakers 2 or 4 times their price and with the new improvements I'm sure they'll sound even better. I guided to lot of friends to that series and they are all pleased and now JBL fans.From what i've read they worked on areas that I thought they should. These should be outstanding speakers for the money.

As much as we "old timers" still live in the "glory days" of the JBL speakers from the 70's or the old studio montiors, the new speakers are really better in so many ways, even those that are designed for the masses. I know that's not a popular theme on this site, but it's true. 30 to 20 years of R&D has made a difference IMHO and a lot of that is incorporated into the less expensive lines.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonW
    Couple of salient points here:

1) Just because the crossover point is 20KHz, does NOT mean that there IS NOT any output BELOW 20KHz

3) the actual perception of TRANSIENTS in the BASS, such as the plucking of an upright bass, and such. It simply, to say it in normal terms, makes bass MORE LIKE LIFE. And this difference has been shown to exist on SEVERAL different types of speakers, here at my location.. .
    Exactly, it is the transients and upper harmonics that tell us much of the character of what we hear, even the bass. My experience follows alone the same lines. AND thats' one of the reasons why I'm so excited about these new speakers. It's exactly what they needed to do. I'm also glad to see some internal bracing and other things.

I'll know that their decision was based on sound engineering when I see the same supertweeter on the LSR series.

I'll know that their decision was based on sound engineering when I see the same supertweeter on the LSR series.
    so having it on the flagship K2 isn't good enough for you?

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    so having it on the flagship K2 isn't good enough for you?
    No, totally different situation, the K2 needs the supertweeter, and crossover is at 10 Khz.

Thread Information