I am very new to this forum, I came here for information on a product I was/am interested in purchasing. I have little opinion on the esoterics of speaker design, and many of the opinions in this thread were from folks who never listened to the speakers they were dishing. This was not very helpful in making a a purchasing decision, there were members who posted useful information, to them THANK YOU very much.

So to help another newbie who stumbles across this forum from a Google search I offer an excerpt from my thread on another forum:

….

“After spending a lot of time reading and auditioning some speaker's I'm keeping my JBL L100's for the time being.

I looked at several brands and came down to Definitive Tech, and JBL Studio L Series. I found it amazing how much it would cost to replace 30-year-old speakers.

My L100's have not been abused used almost every day for 30 years. They will require some touchup.

It was necessary to purchase a new A/V Receiver, to get what I needed/wanted required me to go up market, which put a big dent in the piggy bank. I got a Denon 4306.

As soon as I hooked this amp up I was immediately impressed with how much material comes out of the center channel and how little comes out of the surrounds.

I had auditioned the JBL LC1 and it was apparent that the LC1 was "under powered" for the job in my system. Any center channel of lesser quality I knew would not be worth trying.

I could not find a LC2 locally to listen to but I did find an almost complete JBL Studio Series L setup at a local Fry's so I had a good idea what a LC1 and L890's sounded like. Over all the mid-range and high range are excellent, I was disappointed in the bass, a really good sub is required. AKA L890 2x 8inch sub does NOT EQUAL one 12" sub in a L100.

So I ordered a LC2 from B&H Photo, it came in yesterday, I got it properly installed today and I'm very impressed at how natural it sounds.

For those doing a surround sound system DONOT SKIMP on those front speakers espc. the center channel.

I'll try the Definitive Tech LCR but I think the LC2 will do the trick.

Current 5.1 setup: A/V Rec-Amp Denon 4306, Front-L/R JBL L100A, Center JBL LC2, Sub JBL PB10, Surrounds JBL LX22's. Well it's not perfect but sounds much better than my prior configuration. “

-- Brandy