Thread: Model 14 crossovers

Question Model 14 crossovers

Howdy all,

Some of the guys from the klipsch forum sent me this way to get some help. Just before I moved up here to Alaska my neighbor gave me a pair of model 14's. They work fine, I had them checked out by the guys at orange county speakers in L.A. . However they didn't mention anything about the crossovers and one of the guys on the klipsch forum said that the crossovers more than likely need to be rebuilt or complete new ones made. I guess my first question is, are the model 14's worth putting the money into them, 2nd what kind of crossover do they have, and 3rd, where would I go to get the parts to rebuild them myself or have someone do it for me and would it make much of a difference. Thanks for any help

Sam

HK AVR430, Parasound HCA-855A, heresy II, rc-3 II, heresy II, model 14, model 14

Quote Originally Posted by mowntnbkr
    Howdy all,

Some of the guys from the klipsch forum sent me this way to get some help. Just before I moved up here to Alaska my neighbor gave me a pair of model 14's. They work fine, I had them checked out by the guys at orange county speakers in L.A. . However they didn't mention anything about the crossovers and one of the guys on the klipsch forum said that the crossovers more than likely need to be rebuilt or complete new ones made. I guess my first question is, are the model 14's worth putting the money into them, 2nd what kind of crossover do they have, and 3rd, where would I go to get the parts to rebuild them myself or have someone do it for me and would it make much of a difference. Thanks for any help

Sam

HK AVR430, Parasound HCA-855A, heresy II, rc-3 II, heresy II, model 14, model 14
    Welcome...

I think the Model 14 is a very cool speaker...especially if the cabinet is in good shape. The Altec compression driver sounds nice. If you're inclined to rebuild the crossover, just go to www.solen.ca (canada) and order the same value capacitors with a better quality...won't cost an arm and a leg..and be a satisfying project. The crossover is a two-way design with a midrange filter.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Hello, IAMMNTNBKR ......

YES ...them 14's are keepers

Great, I am glad they are worth keeping. Next, exactly where are the crossovers located, right behind the knobs?

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by mowntnbkr
    Great, I am glad they are worth keeping. Next, exactly where are the crossovers located, right behind the knobs?

Sam
    Yes, Sam...

The crossover assembly is built on to the face plate that houses the L-pads for the mid and hi controls. Remove the screws and the whole thing will come out...you'll need to disconnect the drivers though.

Good luck and have fun with it.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thread Information