Thread: JBL 130B 32ohm

Maron Horonzakz

JBL 130B 32ohm

I just found a pair of JBL 130 32ohm woofers excellent condition. But the shock was, that both units have the SAME SERIAL number. 601169. The Lansing logo is the old type decalled onto the spoke, rather than on the back of the magnet cover. The cones have the no. stamped on the back, 130-202 & the other 130-303. But the surprise was the serial nunber on both were the same. My theary is they are a matched pair to be used in the same cabinet. But i,m not shure as no cabinet was found. The serial no. & impedence + woofer type were decalled on the spokes of each woofer.

A red flag just went up for me, there.

I don't know of any Lansing woofers having the SAME serial numbers, ever. I've gotten them with sequential serial numbers (and that's how most pairs of "kit-bought" drivers would have been delivered, back in the '50s and '60s), but NEVER the same number.

Sounds possibly, like one of those "ebay copy scammers", having made a knockoff label... and since they only had one serial number in their "plates", all their labels have the same serial number.

I'd do some serious research on this, before jumping in... it may be legit, but it might well be a fake...

Regards,
    Gordon.

I have noticed the odd serial numbers on all of the early (pre late 1950s) JBL products. I asked John Edwards, who ran the office for Jim Lansing from the Venice days onward and typed most of the "cut corner" type labels, about this. He said that the "serial" number actually represented some sort of batch number and possibly dating scheme, though he couldn't remember the details.

The serial numbers seem to make more sense after they began using the oval metal ID plates. Maybe they used a more normal scheme from that point on.

Maron Horonzakz
    No these are not fakes....These have been in storage in St louis for 40 years I know these are authentic. the fellow who originally owned owned them is a close friend of mine. But this is the first time I got a close look at them. When I got them home I was shocked to see the identicle serial numbers. He,s not in good health & transferred the ownership to me. No they are not for sale. I just dont Know what Im going to do with them. Any suggestions for a cabinet? Being 32 ohms. Ide like to place them in a single Box. maybe a dual scoop?

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz
    No these are not fakes....These have been in storage in St louis for 40 years I know these are authentic. the fellow who originally owned owned them is a close friend of mine. But this is the first time I got a close look at them. When I got them home I was shocked to see the identicle serial numbers. He,s not in good health & transferred the ownership to me. No they are not for sale. I just dont Know what Im going to do with them. Any suggestions for a cabinet? Being 32 ohms. Ide like to place them in a single Box. maybe a dual scoop?
    Put those treasures in a Hartsfield corner horn...drive it with a tube amp
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thread Information