Thread: JBL CRT Projector

Question JBL CRT Projector

This could have gone in Marketplace I suppose but other than the JBL logo on it, I doubt there's any Lansing Heritage at work here.

As a CRT projector owner, I have an interest in oddities like this, but no interest in purchasing it. I'm pretty sure it's a clone, but there's precious little info on it.

Anyone know anything about JBL's projectors?

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-model-6850-C...QQcmdZViewItem
    Out.

I built a Heathkit front projector, kit version of a Zenith model, about 16 years ago. At the time it was the poor man's way to a really large screen TV. The JBL was being sold then, and was about $6000 as I recall; four times the price of the Heath. Barco and Vidikron were the other big names at the time, and their better models cost even more than the JBL. I had great fun with the TV for several years, both building it and endlessly tweaking it ever after. I'm lucky I never got tangled up with the 30 kilovolts while I was in there!

Heathkit

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell
    I built a Heathkit front projector, kit version of a Zenith model, about 16 years ago. At the time it was the poor man's way to a really large screen TV. The JBL was being sold then, and was about $6000 as I recall; four times the price of the Heath. Barco and Vidikron were the other big names at the time, and their better models cost even more than the JBL. I had great fun with the TV for several years, both building it and endlessly tweaking it ever after. I'm lucky I never got tangled up with the 30 kilovolts while I was in there!
    Yay Heathkit! May it RIP. I lived near Benton Harbor/St. Joseph, MI and toured the Heathkit facility. My buddy and I built a Heathkit receiver. Not bad for a couple of farm boy rubes.

As for the 30 kilovolts, I've raised the hair on my head a couple of times by just getting too close while I was tinkering. No wonder it all fell out.
    Out.

Hey, my hair has been falling out for years as well; I'm sensing a trend here. And to think that all this time I've been kidding my dentist that it was due to amalgam fillings.

Thread Information