Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toe-in

jim henderson

Toe-in

Who points their front LR speakers directly at the center listening position, forming an approx. 45 degree angle between the LR speakers?

Who avoids toe-in all together, as this site recommends http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra/Placement.html ?

Who compromises and points the LR speakers at the respective ends of the couch?

Obsolete

Re: Toe-in

"Who compromises and points the LR speakers at the respective ends of the couch?"

JonFairhurst
    Me too... Only I've got more of a project studio setup. There is no couch. I run some toe in, but not enough to point directly at my noggin.
    Last edited by JonFairhurst; 09-03-2003 at 06:31 PM.

You can get a feel for my approach, here: 4345 Cabinet Plans - Link That is, sans the 4313B's and when enveloping the LCD TV.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I got all three fronts either toed or angled down so I am close to being on axis. Not the extreme 45 degrees but more than a nudge towards the ends of the couch.

Rob

Toe-in

After concluding I was not going to get much in the way of imaging with my L65a pair I swung them in to cross in front of the two-seat listening position my wife and I share. This way the rising on-axis response is avoided and sitting in the power/dispersion field seems to give the smoothest overall response and widest listening zone.

They image in a general way. The instrument positions of small acoustic jazz groups of the mid to late fifties are easily discernible although the mixes (I think) tend to blear the lead soloists. The instrument and voice groups in orchestras and choirs are nicely discernible and chamber groups fairly well defined--the precision of the speakers gives the individual instruments and voices distinct presence. But nothing near holographic.

By the way, over time the 122a woofers in these enclosures have loosened up (new surrounds when I bought them) and the balance is much better. The upper bass/lower midrange still seems reticent, but that will be remedied by going to a four-way system--but I really like these speakers. I vertical stack of the drivers will probably improve the imaging as well.

I have been following the discussions on this forum about large-format monitors, the various possibilities for drivers, etc., and I want to express my gratitude for the great quantities of useful information you all have been offering. My garage is filling with enough stuff to make two sets of speakers. I've decided I'm not in a hurry and want to enjoy this process--which I am! Meanwhile all I'm doing with these speakers is listening to music.

Thanks,

David

That article seems way too generalized for “most” situations. The toe-in is going to be a function of the speakers response characteristics and your room. The end of the discussion is going to be how you feel the placement works best for you. Anyone remember the Beveridge models from the 70s/80s? These wonderful (but woefully dynamically limited) speakers worked best nearly facing each other. I can contribute my own generalization… the closer you have to have the speakers to the side walls, the more you want to toe-in to minimize destructive reflections off of the side walls. If you have horns, then some other considerations have to be made (look down them throats!).

DavidF
    Last edited by DavidF; 09-03-2003 at 09:27 PM.

Tom Loizeaux
    I toe in my studio monitors to be directly facing me when I sit in my "sweet spot" chair. I feel that's the only way to get proper balance at all frequencies.

Tom

I set the cabinets out 3 feet or so from the back wall, two feet or so from the side walls, then adjust the "toe" for best soundstage (using known reference music.
    Getting your cabinets away from the rear & side walls is the best sonic improvement you can make...the more the walls influence the sound, ~ The MORE the walls INFLUENCE the sound.
    Experiment!

For my large 4355 clones I have found that fully toed in works exceptionally well. Here is a layout of my room.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MJC

no toe-in with mirror image

With my original L212s I had some toe-in. And when I setup the 5 channel system I tried the mains at 45*.
    But after building two mirror imaged cabinets for the main L/R the best position is to have the speakers pointing straight out. This gives me a full soundstage, more so than with the original symetrical cabinets. Toe-in collapses the soundstage with mirror image.
    5 channel music sounds great, but if I run stereo music thru the processor, to create prologic 3 channel front, the soundstage collapses.

Does this qualify?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Toes in!

bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Alex Lancaster

Wink

That´s toe out, and You are going to wear the big ones real quick.

jbl
    Some degree of toe in will be necessary for any system with high frequency extension. The higher the frequency, the shorter the wave length. ("Beaming effect".) That's unavoidable.

Ron

Thread Information